• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bigsky Airlines, Billing Mt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The point to my post was just as I said.

We didn't ask for any of this. Do you think we have some sort of choice? I'm in my 3rd year fo and not crazy about starting over either.

Question for "GQ". Have you guys in fact already signed the deal offered by Mesaba? Was it or is it going to be a membership ratification or a decision made by your MEC? There are almost a thousand pilots here at Mesaba who would love some info on this issue. We are being left completely in the dark over here and info is very hard to come by. Thanks.......

P.S.....Also wondering about some of the specifics of the contract. Like I said, ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

word over here at Mesaba just heard that the BS Deal has been made offical. Any conformation from the BS side. I have yet to see it in writting so it could be a roumor. Details of the contract please

mesaba2425= xjmgt

go do your job instead of wasting your time on aviation forums.....

Last edited:
thanks

gqmetrodriver said:
Voting is still going on. I'll post more when I know it- likely not till tomorrow.

Hey gqmetro,

thanks for any info you can provide.

And from the perspective of an XJ guy with 5+ years in, and just as much to lose as anyone else here, we are not all looking to 'knock some sense' into you guys. As you are aware emotions are running pretty high over here.

I am more than ready to have you guys onboard as part of the mesaba family, but I think it needs to be done in the right way; one list. And for everyone's sake I want to see you guys flying under the kind of contract you deserve, an industry leading deal on all fronts (compensation, work rules, R&I, etc.) just like what we are fighting for here, and have been for 1 year, 3+ months, we need to have the same contract (one list, by seniority date).

The details of what Holdings wants you folks to accept clearly will provide an avenue for future whipsaw tactics (NWA is especially fond of this instrument of labor torture), and YOU WILL face the same fate as what we are dealing with right now. Can you tell from the posts here how much fun it is to deal with these labor-bashing, NWA-installed corporate pirates?

The requirements of the deal (rates for ALL aircraft classes) and the hurry-up-or-else timing are designed to be overwhelming. Don't let them be. The deal allows all conditions to be waived, even the new contract requirements and it allows for the time period to be extended. For Holdings, 3.5 mil is nothing compared to what they could potentially save due to the implications of this deal on our contract. Chances are they will not walk away if you guys take your time to get the right deal, they need this threat against us way too much.

I know the story you have been told is that this is the only way, but don't buy the hype.

All of us in the regional level, even you, need to maintain the 'pattern bargining' that has been achieved recently, our futures, even yours, depends on doing so.

You have probably seen my first post in this thread, and I am still very interested in hearing answers to those questions about your current contract, for my own benefit, any info is greatly appreciated.

CWASaab

there is also a rumor going around that prior to joining the UTU you guys tried to get ALPA, but that they said 'not interested', any truth to that fable?

I know for fact that 4 years ago BigSky Airlines was rejected by ALPA. "They didn't meet their requirements." Whether that ment enough pilots or revenue I don't know, but nonetheless ALPA didn't want to take them in. 4 years ago BigSky was about the same 16-18 Metros and 80-100 pilots that they are right now.
4 years ago UTU and their 140,000 members accepted the BS pilot group and from what I here are fully backing them in their negotiations with Mesaba holdings.

Now that BS and their 80 pilots can help or hurt XJ and the entire NWA family everyone is pissed that they're not ALPA?

Sorry but the BS pilots have done nothing wrong.

ALPA and their 55,000 members screwed this one up 4 yrs. ago.

Big Sky

I'm a Big Sky pilot and the main reason for me posting this is to try and keep the Mesaba guys informed off all the rumors going around here. One of the first things I will say is that the contract we voted on (and still voting on) is supposedly about the same as Mesas and Pinnacles. We have duty rig, 28 day months, and pretty standard stuff. If you ask me specifics I'll do my best to try and let you know the official stuff.

MY OPINION AND TO MY UNDERSTANDING....
1. Supposedly the contract has enough votes to be approved but they have to get all the votes in. (we are a small company and everybody knows everybody so that's how we hear it has already passed)
2. We will not fly any established Mesaba routes especially during the strike. (written in the contract)
3. Have heard that we could be flying Dash8's by Feb, RJ's in as little as 6 months, or still flying metros in 2 years.
4. We have tried to join ALPA several times but turned down because we weren't big enough.
5. We are union. (UTU)
6. Overall we have a bunch of good pilots who sincerely care about the Mesaba pilots and the contract we get and the effect on the industry.
7. Rumor has it we will contract out to whoever and be based wherever.
8. We are a small company that was not doing well financially but don't believe managements pressure of saying we will be out of business if we don't sign this contract. (ask any pilot who's been around if he hasn't heard that one)

Tons and tons of rumors going around and I don't believe any of them until I see it happen.

Big Sky cares a great deal about the Mesaba pilots.

I don't know who the other big sky pilot is on this board but like him, I will be happy to answer any specific questions that you have and as soon as I hear something I will let you know.

thanks

hatchetjack,

thanks for the update. I, for one, do appreciate hearing from inside the big sky group.

As far as info goes, the more detailed the better. What is the value of the rig, and is it just duty or is there a trip-rig, or min day value, or both? Any type of company funded retirement plan? What kind of company match are you looking at for a 401K? What are the per diem rates? What are the actuall pay rates? I could go on and on.

But here are the bigger ones; Did the FO seat lock stay intact? Duration, is it going to be seven years? Did you guys agree to arbitration? Any of these would be a huge blow to the pattern of recent contracts.

As far as the strike stuff goes, sounds nice, but not sure it will matter much. By the time the NMB releases us BSA could be well entrenched and the damage would be done. Hopefully not, but who knows.

CWASaab

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back