• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beware to potential PCL street Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm reguratating the comments from the past couple years. The people who actually do get hired for the street captain postition may be very qualified. The point that was brought up was you could have an applicant that has 3500 hrs of Cub time and walk in to 9E and be a captain. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I don't hear anything about the possibility of someone with 1500 hrs of Cub time being a CA at XJ. Also a friend who is at XJ told me they have hired 6 people that he knows of with less than 300 hrs.... Pair them up with a 1500 street captain.....

The street captain mins are 2000 hours, and they currently seem to be recruiting at a higher standard than the minimums.

there are people at 9E that never should have started training much less made it to the line. One kid (yes kid) had 191 ttl time but had been in every transition program known to man.

It's not just Pinnacle. There's very few regionals that I feel comfortable riding on. I always felt safe on ASA and Mesaba because the most junior Captain had years and years of experience, but even Mesaba is down to street Captains now. Eagle, Comair, and Horizon are probably safe bets, but most of the regionals are just accidents waiting to happen nowadays with the ATP-minimums Captains and part 141 minimums FOs.

I understand what you are saying here, but........weren't you one of the Captains that benefited from these minimums??? Let's keep it real shall we?

I upgraded at 3200 hours, not ATP minimums. Still not exactly "high-time," but at that experience level, even an extra 1000 hours makes a big difference. Also, I had over 2000 hours in type and at the company. This was one of the few areas that agreed with TM, the former CP, about. He adamantly refused to lower upgrade minimums at all. Having guys upgrading at 2000 hours (or even ATP minimums at some places) and flying with brand new pilots with only 200 hours TT is simply dangerous.

I upgraded at 3200 hours,
not ATP minimums. Still not exactly "high-time," but at that experience level, even an extra 1000 hours makes a big difference. Also, I had over 2000 hours in type and at the company. This was one of the few areas that agreed with TM, the former CP, about. He adamantly refused to lower upgrade minimums at all. Having guys upgrading at 2000 hours (or even ATP minimums at some places) and flying with brand new pilots with only 200 hours TT is simply dangerous.

I'd say that's real enough.

Not sure what your point is. I had about 1000 TT when I started at PCL, not 200. And that isn't really the point. I'm not necessarily against 200 hour FOs, but I am against having them fly with minimally experienced Captains. A Captain with 2000 TT flying with a 200 TT FO is a problem. A Captain with plenty of time in type and 3500 TT probably has the experience to handle things well single-pilot when the sh&^ hits the fan and his green FO mentally checks out. I'm not so sure that a 2000 hour Captain would be able to do the same. Green FOs aren't my concern. Green on green is the problem.

Latest resources

Back