• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beware to potential PCL street Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like the training department sucks.

It's not necessarily the training department's fault, if the management refuses to spend any money on training.

Not true. The PCL training department has some very good people. But many of the old timers are chest beating losers who are trying to convince everyone including themselves that being an APD at PCL is what they wanted out of life.
These gentalmen make up their own rules and standards. One example is pushing the aircraft off the taxiway and into the grass on push back during type rides. This is then followed promptly by a pink slip for not seeing you had been pushed off a taxiway.
That said I would willingly fly the line with any of them. While doing so I would learn a lot and have some fun.
The problem in this case is not money but standardization. At PCL the training environment is very dependent on the day and the phase of the moon. In short if you get the right instructors and APD a retarded monkey can get a type at the CEC, but get the wrong ones and Chuck Yeager will be sent back to the right seat.
PCL with out a doubt has the worst training in the 121 world. Add to that FOs who have never ever been in a cloud and have less than 250 hours total time including 100 hours of crj sim at their bridge school, you the captain are a violation or worse waiting to happen.
In upgrade we were told by every guest speaker in class including the FAA POIs that with the FOs PCL is hiring we will be single pilot.
So to sum it all up almost any other airline would be a better choice. Remember the violations you receive at PCL will be reportable for the rest of your flying life.
For the record I'm not bitter with the training dept. I did pass my type on the first try. I'm only giving the facts of the case.

Grimper is right to a degree. A Check Airman ranted to me about this the other day and it does make sense. The reason current off the street captains do not get through is the Check Airman are looking at these guys to see if they are going to be able to fly Pinnacle CRJ's single pilot IFR in snowy or emergency conditions. Over half are just not ready for that type of responsibility. The failure rate is high enough among regular upgrades and many of those folks have had a year or two to observe winter ops and become familiar to the f@#ed up Pinnacle way.

As a normal line holder, I used to think a 500 hour guy was low time. Now, I get a 500 hour guy and I am thankful to get a veteran! We will be so lucky if we do not have an accident this winter.

Grimper is right to a degree. A Check Airman ranted to me about this the other day and it does make sense. The reason current off the street captains do not get through is the Check Airman are looking at these guys to see if they are going to be able to fly Pinnacle CRJ's single pilot IFR in snowy or emergency conditions. Over half are just not ready for that type of responsibility. The failure rate is high enough among regular upgrades and many of those folks have had a year or two to observe winter ops and become familiar to the f@#ed up Pinnacle way.

As a normal line holder, I used to think a 500 hour guy was low time. Now, I get a 500 hour guy and I am thankful to get a veteran! We will be so lucky if we do not have an accident this winter.

You've convinced me. I won't fly on Pinnicle......................too dangerous.

Not true. The PCL training department has some very good people. But many of the old timers are chest beating losers who are trying to convince everyone including themselves that being an APD at PCL is what they wanted out of life.
These gentalmen make up their own rules and standards. One example is pushing the aircraft off the taxiway and into the grass on push back during type rides. This is then followed promptly by a pink slip for not seeing you had been pushed off a taxiway.
That said I would willingly fly the line with any of them. While doing so I would learn a lot and have some fun.
The problem in this case is not money but standardization. At PCL the training environment is very dependent on the day and the phase of the moon. In short if you get the right instructors and APD a retarded monkey can get a type at the CEC, but get the wrong ones and Chuck Yeager will be sent back to the right seat.
PCL with out a doubt has the worst training in the 121 world. Add to that FOs who have never ever been in a cloud and have less than 250 hours total time including 100 hours of crj sim at their bridge school, you the captain are a violation or worse waiting to happen.
In upgrade we were told by every guest speaker in class including the FAA POIs that with the FOs PCL is hiring we will be single pilot.
So to sum it all up almost any other airline would be a better choice. Remember the violations you receive at PCL will be reportable for the rest of your flying life.
For the record I'm not bitter with the training dept. I did pass my type on the first try. I'm only giving the facts of the case.

I'm heading to upgrade in the middle of next month, and i've been on the line about a year, are these CA off the street busting because they are not familar with Pinnacle's procedure or what? With all this talk about 50+% wash out rate for CA's is making me worried about going to upgrade.

I'm heading to upgrade in the middle of next month, and i've been on the line about a year, are these CA off the street busting because they are not familar with Pinnacle's procedure or what? With all this talk about 50+% wash out rate for CA's is making me worried about going to upgrade.

Get your ATP before you go to upgrade....

You've convinced me. I won't fly on Pinnicle......................too dangerous.

It's not just Pinnacle. There's very few regionals that I feel comfortable riding on. I always felt safe on ASA and Mesaba because the most junior Captain had years and years of experience, but even Mesaba is down to street Captains now. Eagle, Comair, and Horizon are probably safe bets, but most of the regionals are just accidents waiting to happen nowadays with the ATP-minimums Captains and part 141 minimums FOs.

Comair got listed with Horizon and Eagle? Not sure how much you've jumpseated on them or seen their recent history...

I worry the worst when I am flying with someone who paid for their job. You know taking a potential job away from a real pilot who should have got paid. Its even worse when that person know thinks that are an expert in aviation.

Latest resources

Back