Beware to potential PCL street Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PCL_128

For anyone that is considering going to Pinnacle for the instant Captain upgrade, you might want to think twice about it. I talked to somebody in the training department a couple of days ago, and the current failure rate for guys going straight to upgrade training is over 50%. Do you really want to risk a less than fifty-fifty chance of passing your type ride? Remember, this will follow you around for the rest of your career. And for your trouble, if you make it through the checkride, you'll be subjected to the worst reserve system in the industry for the next few years. Is it really worth it? I think not.

Go to Mesaba if the quick upgrade is what you're looking for. It's a much better company overall, and you'll be treated like an actual human being during training.

Going from COMM MEL to ATP with a jet type rating is a big step. Some guys show up with an ATP already and even a CRJ type. Understand the environment that you are getting into....

Also, it maybe be true that PCL now requires pilots to sit right seat briefly before going to upgrade.... Thus with two training events and flying the line it might be 10 months before you see the left seat...

Control what you can.....

I doubt mesaba will be any better. I personally would want it to be hard to come in as a street captain. Would you want any joe blow to be in charge of 52 other people?

It's a tough bullet to bite. Even with thousands of hours, ATP, mutiple jet types and former 121 experience. The reserve sucks big time, scheduling treats you like shxt and they short change your check every payday, you get tired of calling them on it.

The best upgrade at PCL is when you quit.

just sign me,

Been there done that, former PCL street captain

Going from COMM MEL to ATP with a jet type rating is a big step. Some guys show up with an ATP already and even a CRJ type. Understand the environment that you are getting into....

Also, it maybe be true that PCL now requires pilots to sit right seat briefly before going to upgrade.... Thus with two training events and flying the line it might be 10 months before you see the left seat...

Control what you can.....

Yes, you must complete FO training, OE and then fly 100 hours in the right seat before you can bid for a captain slot. FO pay for a very long time, assuming you can pass the upgrade training. Captains pay does not start until completion of CA OE\Fed ride.

Sounds like the training department sucks.

I was thinking the same thing. Eventually a high enough failure rate will trigger a look see by the local Friendly Airplane Association office.

I was thinking the same thing. Eventually a high enough failure rate will trigger a look see by the local Friendly Airplane Association office.

You have to understand something about our FAA office in MEM...they are weak and in the company's pocket...About 2 years ago the failure rate for upgrade was astronomical...upgrades only got 5 sims and 15 hours of OE...thats right 15....finally the FAA got a backbone and told the company to fix it...the company raised it to 7 sims and 25 hours of OE and the pass rate got alot better (in the 85% range)...you would think that everybody was happy right....no it was costing the company money so Uncle Phil had this great idea of getting these new CPTs that were digital and was going to improve training...everybody hopped on the bandwagon including the FAA but then our program manager thought that since we had to spend money for them we would have to cut somewhere else...so they cut 2 sims for new hires and 1 sim for upgrades...thus we have the results that we have now...and they dont know why we have such a high failure rate....they only need to look back and see that the pass rate was alot higher when the upgrade candidates had more sim time...should tell you something about our training dept....whats even worse is that all these decisions being made are by guys that came over from FEDEX...The CEC is now known as the FEDEX RETIREMENT VILLAGE...Sorry for the rant...

Just an observation from somebody who spent 2 years in the FEDEX RETIREMENT VILLAGE

You would be better off going anywhere....either FO or street CA.

The abuse on reserve is legendary. The FO payscale is abysmal.

If you come to PCL, you will be working under a contract that was crafted in 1999. Well before there were jets on the property and three hubs.

This 1999 contract is so far behind the current company ops, that you and your family will feel it.

Look elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back