Best Regionals To Work For

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASArjfo,

Hey no hard feelings here at all. I did not go out there and gloat as you say about SkyWest. If you remember in the begining of the thread it had to do with "What Regional is good and why?" Anyways, you guys are more then welcome to come to SLC. Infact why don't you go to your Union rep and demand to fly into SLC or even better, go to Delta since you guys have this terrific relationship and demand Delta to buy us. I am confused here, did I take your job from you??? We are also hiring again, if you need a letter of recomendation feel free to ask any one of us in the crew loungs in DAL and we can get you one. Union airlines are not perfect and neither is non-union ones. I choose a non-union one for now, and I am happy. When its my time to move on I will go to a union one and then I will see the "light" and then you may tell me..."I told you so!" Until then fly safe and we will see you in DAL and maybe in SLC. Besides we have some great skiing coming soon, the more the merrier on the slopes.

PS. I do have to say are FAs are hotter(ops opened another can of worms;)

KFFA,

I don't know why I did not think of that......I will march over to the GO and demand SLC flying tomorrow. Oh wait.....whats that I hear.......we don't want to give ASA any new cities while in contract negotiations. Instead here is what we will do for you guys, we plan to dilute your DFW hub with as much non-union SkyWest flying as possible so we can take as much leverage away from you as possible.

I am pretty sure that is how the conversation would go. To answer your question about YOU taking MY job away. Kind of rhetorical question don't you think? I obviously still have a job in the right seat and probably will for as long as I want one. The real question I want you to answer is how much longer will I sit in the right seat due to the lack of ASA growth and increased SkyWest expansion.

I remember what the orginal thread was about. I also know in this job market if anybody is offered a job at Skywest they will snatch it up in a second. I am not saying somebody should pass that up and sit at home to wait for ASA to call.

What I am trying to illustrate is how being the only non-union carrier in the DCI portfolio allows opportunities that may not be available otherwise.

And your flight att. are WAY hotter.....no argument here.

Russ,

Again the only thing you can come up with is that "ALPA is not for me." Well I don't think that will stick for long. Let me ask you a question. If we (ASA) do strike some time down the road, what will the Skywest pilots do when MOTHER DELTA inserts SkyWest into every DFW market ASA used to serve?

The SkyWest pilot group should consider what will happen then, you cannot refuse the flying because you will be fired by your management (insert ALPA here). If you take the flying you will be forever looked upon as the group that crossed the line, thus limiting any further carrer options with an ALPA carrier

That is all

:D

ASARJFO,

I'm normally just an observer on this board, but I found myself compelled to respond to your comments. Pretty much everything you're whining about is ridiculous. I too am an FO at ASA (eagerly awaiting a captain slot), and really wish we were getting all the expansion that Skywest is getting. However, you're really showing your lack of knowledge about this industry with your comments. To sit there and get that upset at Skywest pilots is moronic. You're acting no different than the delta pilots that blame us for "stealing" their flying . The Skywest pilots are no different than us in that they show up to work, fly their trip, and go home. They are able to get competitive pay and good working conditions without the need of getting a union involved. Good for them...I wish we had that strong of a relationship with our management.

The fact that Skywest in non-ALPA is irrelevant. DCI hub integration is happening across the board (not yet in SLC, but that's still very possible). Skywest already displayed that they are not a threat to pick up flying if we were to strike someday (which is years from happening...if at all).

One thing I do find interesting is that your experience is listed at 1500 hours. I've seen you posting under that name for some time now. I would venture to guess that you were hired here with a little less than the regular min's. Good for you on getting in, but you also might want to consider that there are a few of us around that have seen a lot more things in this industry than you. I have no problem with people who got on here with low time, but I can't stand when they whine about everything and act like they've just got it so bad.

I'm kind of rambling here, but the jist of my message is this- we've got to stop blaming other pilots for who get what flying. It's counterproductive and will do nothing to help us solve many of the challenges we face.

To all the Skywest pilots, please don't think this guy represents how the majority of ASA pilots feel. Of course we'd rather have all the DFW flying to ourselves, but most of us aren't stupid enough to feel that it's the Skywest pilots fault.

PROFO, very nice post

"I'm normally just an observer on this board, but I found myself compelled to respond to your comments. Pretty much everything you're whining about is ridiculous. I too am an FO at ASA (eagerly awaiting a captain slot), and really wish we were getting all the expansion that Skywest is getting. However, you're really showing your lack of knowledge about this industry with your comments. To sit there and get that upset at Skywest pilots is moronic. You're acting no different than the delta pilots that blame us for "stealing" their flying . The Skywest pilots are no different than us in that they show up to work, fly their trip, and go home. They are able to get competitive pay and good working conditions without the need of getting a union involved. Good for them...I wish we had that strong of a relationship with our management. "

Let me guess....you have never had a job outside aviation? instead of throwing insults my way, how about elaborting on your insightful "I am simply moronic" and I "lack knowlege" about this industry comments.

You are welcomed to your opinion, but YOU try and represent that all ASA pilots feel the same as you....THEY SIMPLY DON'T. If you are content to sit back and let Delta have thier way with us, that is your right. I don't think you have the right to judge my ability to have an opinion simply based on my total hours. You have no idea what my backround is, and where I came from. I have every right to fight for what I believe. I do like my job and the people I work with, but if you don't think the company is showing thier true colors with the recent schedules and all around effort to make our quality of life as poor as humanly possible, then I truly feel sorry for you.

If you are so sure about your conviction that YOU represent the majority of ASA pilots please post your comments in the crew lounge (or ALPA board) and sign your name. I would love to see how many would stand behind your views that SkyWest is no threat to ASA's future.

One last thing, show me where, when, how...... "Skywest already displayed that they are not a threat to pick up flying if we were to strike someday". That is simply an uneducated and down right wrong. I beg you to show me some proof of your claim, and try not to just sling more insults this time.

I seem to recall that this same situation was encountered a few years ago (maybe it was th Comair strike?) and the Skywest pilot group and their management agree that they would not fly any struck work. Can anyone shed some light on this?

ASARJFO and PROFO, behind the boys bathroom 3 o'clock sharp.:rolleyes:

Come on guys, simma.

It never ceases to amaze me that 2 guys, who probably know each other and are friends at work, get on an anonymous web board, and within 2 posts are in fisticuffs with the fur flying.

It is obviously a contentious issue. From previous posts, you know that I don't like the hub dilution. For that I blame DAL, not Skywest. They are doing what they are told, nothing more, nothing less. PROFO is right. This is no different than DCI flying Delta routes, all be it for different reasons. (Hub dillution andwhipsaw vs. profitablity and load factor).

I do take issue with the non union status of Skywest. Let me explain. While ALPA certainly has it's issues and shortcomings, membership does have its' benefits. A big one is the right to refuse to fly struck work. Now before the Skywest guys start hollering we didn't and we wouldn't, consider this. Past performance is not indicative of future gains. In other words, just because management didn't, doesn't mean they won't.

I know that all of you are sitting up there in Utah singing kumbaya with management. I also know that DAL loves Skywest. Why shouldn't they, they have a comfy risk free fee for departure contract (KA CHING $$$), and Skywest provides a top notch product (far better than ASA) that Delta is happy to slap its' brand name on.

The only thing that scares me is IF DAL decides to use Skywest to break the backs of the other DCI carriers and put downward pressure on the payrates, work rules, etc., they COULD. There is not much that could be done about it. It may be a distant threat, but it is a concern, none the less.

I can not speak for a majority of ASA pilots, but, a random sampling of folks with whom I have discussed the matter agree. We would just be a little more comfy if Skywest came into the ALPA fold. That is all. I don't dislike Skywest or it's pilots. I dislike the hub dillution, whipsaw, and the potential for a member of the DCI family to be used against the rest of us due to lack of union affiliation.

On a side note, if DAL is going to dilute the DCI hubs, I would sure like to see some of us redneck DCI folks dilluted up to SLC.

;)

Northern California native, stuck in Texas (you call that a hill) until DCI cross pollinization comes to fruition. All Y'all can have DFW. SLC has hills I can ski down. Bid sheet is already filled out. :D

P.S. Hey IFF,

I think this is a thread that should be moved to the main board, I don't think the topic interview has even brushed by this thread.

I am busy at 3 pm, but how about in the smoking room at 4 pm?

I agree this post should be moved and I did not mean to go off on a tangent. I also think that SkyWest pilots are doing what they are told, as are ASA and Comair when it comes to flying new cities.

I do have a problem with the non-union status of the pilot group. Would DCI continue to dilute hubs with SkyWest if it were not for the lack of ALPA......we will never know. I can't just throw my hands up and say, well there is nothing they can do about.....they are just poor pilots trying to make a living doing what they are told.

How about voting to join the rest of us and trying to improve the quality of life for all pilots at "regional" airlines.

ASARJFO, et al

SkyWest is non union in part due to the large number of former Westair pilots who have definite feelings tword ALPA. Post after post talk about what ALPA has to offer, let me tell you what ALPA doesn't have, namely a backbone. Another thing they dont have is a regional pilots best interests at heart. We (former Westair) have been letdown by them. Until you have walked a mile in my shoes, don't criticize my and my companies decision to remain non union.Screwed by ALPA once, their mistake, screwed twice, my mistake for giving them a second chance. Dont crow to me about what ALPA has to offer, how I am not helping out my brother pilots raise the bar,I did the same, I was a pro union guy at Westair, and a union member outside of aviation. Now I am enlightened to what ALPA has to offer me. I hope you dont learn the same lesson the hard way, learn from my mistakes.

Metro sherriff
Past performance thing is true, one only need look at my portfolio to prove it. SkyWest did come to an agreement with our inhouse association about struck work. I see no reason why we couldn't do it again should ASA strike. Mnagement has a long history of working closely with the pilots. The leverage for this is their desire to remain non union.

Latest resources

Back