• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best flight schools?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My personal opinion is that getting to a regional at 300 hours or so really doesn't do you a lot of good. This industry is always up and down, everyone knows it. With this downturn, people have been laid off with high seniority numbers. Some have been able to take on other jobs because of previous experience that they had in other airplanes. What would someone who was hired with 300 hours have to fall back on? No CFI experience, no part 135 experience, no multi other then a Duchess/Seminole or a RJ. Frankly, I try to position myself for the future, knowing that layoffs could likely happen, I want to have enough variety of experience to hopefully find another job to keep me going. Just my thought.

hydroflyer,

That was a VERY VERY good point! I have always said that making it to the regionals in 300hrs was not a good thing because of experience, but the situation you brought up was very real in this industry. If you get an Rj job at 300 and get furloughed at 800hrs you don't even meet 135 mins. Thank you for bringing up that point, maybe some of the new guys will think twice about taking that job at a regional with that in mind..

Sd

SDdriver said:
If you get an Rj job at 300 and get furloughed at 800hrs you don't even meet 135 mins.

Um, ok, then go back and get your CFI and get another 400 hours. No doubt if the same person had gone the CFI route instead they'd still only have 800 hours, but it wouldn't have been in a RJ. Overall the RJ job would be better.

Yeah true, but if they would have just got a cfi gig or banners or traffic, they could build the 1200 first and then get the rj and then if a furlough comes they can get a decent job hauling freight as a captain. See the point? Not trying to be mean, just saying getting the hours before you get there prepares you better for losing the job if that happens.

Sd

Reality Bites!

hydroflyer said:
What would someone who was hired with 300 hours have to fall back on? No CFI experience, no part 135 experience, no multi other then a Duchess/Seminole or a RJ.

I'll give you a situation. A rich guy owns a Citation. There are 2 pilots who want the job.

One has 1600 hours TT, 300 Multi, all piston. He's an CFII-Multi.

The other has 700 hours TT, 480 multi, 450 turbine. He's a MEL-I.

This situation actually happened. The CFI didn't get the job. Why? The other guy "flies jets for a living, he's an airline pilot. The CFI sits in a 172 and watches people screw up pattern work."

Now, I think both guys could do the job, but, I wasn't hiring. Obviously, both guys fly for a living. However, when the average person looks at a guy who flys a large jet (50 passenger jets are big planes to most people- they just have small seats in them), and then compares him to a guy who flies a 172 . . .

There's a mistique to airlines. Most everyone who learns to fly would love to fly 2 things, a military fighter and an airliner. There are few pilots who would rather fly a 172 than an ERJ. Whether you like it or not, when you fly a 'big shiny jet', you are considered by the world to instantaniously be a better pilot than the guy who flies a 172.

1)Walk into a FBO. Tell them you fly jets for any name brand 121 airline. Leave.
2)Walk into the next FBO down the ramp. Tell them you are a flight instructor. Leave.
3)Walk into a flight school. Tell the instructors you fly for a carrier. Leave.

You will be looked at as a stud in 2 of the above situations, both by pilots and by non-pilots. Guess which ones.

Image is everything.

-Boo!

Re: Reality Bites!

stillaboo said:
I'll give you a situation. A rich guy owns a Citation. There are 2 pilots who want the job.

One has 1600 hours TT, 300 Multi, all piston. He's an CFII-Multi.

The other has 700 hours TT, 480 multi, 450 turbine. He's a MEL-I.

This situation actually happened. The CFI didn't get the job. Why? The other guy "flies jets for a living, he's an airline pilot. The CFI sits in a 172 and watches people screw up pattern work."

You of course hit the nail on the head. :D

There's a mistique to airlines. Most everyone who learns to fly would love to fly 2 things, a military fighter and an airliner. There are few pilots who would rather fly a 172 than an ERJ.

*raises hand*

Hey, while I'd love to fly a F-16, driving a bus (airliner) holds no appeal to me.

Gimmie a 172 any day of the week, or better yet, gimmie a Pitts Special!!!

At some point, you're just managing systems and not flying. I get a chuckle out of the stories my fixed-wing CFI tells me when she does checkouts for airline pilots. Her boyfriend is a Captain for Southwest and while she won't say it in front of him, he can't fly a 172 worth a damm.

Of course, if you really want to have some fun, try flying helicopters! My 62 year old silver haired mother could fly a 172, but she'll never be able to fly an egg beater. :D

Whether you like it or not, when you fly a 'big shiny jet', you are considered by the world to instantaniously be a better pilot than the guy who flies a 172.

Only in the eyes of those who don't know any better. :D

My 2 cents from the cheap seats...

Jason

I posted this somewhere else too, but I watched a 777 driver stall a 172 about 80 ft above TDZE b/c he flared right where he was supposed to . . . in a 777!

Thanks for mentioning the Pitts! That airplane is a blast! I flew a BD-5 once too. Talk about 'pocket rocket'. It's the go-cart of aviation!

-Boo!

Re: Reality Bites!

There's a mistique to airlines. Most everyone who learns to fly would love to fly 2 things, a military fighter and an airliner. There are few pilots who would rather fly a 172 than an ERJ. Whether you like it or not, when you fly a 'big shiny jet', you are considered by the world to instantaniously be a better pilot than the guy who flies a 172.

You are right about the initial mistique of flying military jets and airliners. At one point or another I wanted to fly those, still wouldn't mind it. However as Whirlwind pointed out, there will be a point when you are more of a systems manager than a hands on flyer. Which is "better" is really up to the individual. For someone looking at starting training, hopefully what they may get from a thread like this is that there are so many options out there as far as different types of flying, that a person may decide something other than the big planes would be good for them. Forget the "image." I could care less about what people think of me, even if it is "freight trash" as long as I enjoy what I am doing. Every route will have its benefits and drawbacks and each pilot needs to choose the one that is right for themselves.

As far as the Pitts goes, well I am just waiting to try one, although I have flown its close cousin, the Christian Eagle. Not only are they a blast, but they should be flown in any attitude other than straight and level.:D

JediNein said:
"WOW! You actually teach people how to fly? I've always wanted to do that." (once in awhile they become your student)

Ahh, you're so right! I think being a CFI is pretty cool. Shame the pay isn't better, but whatever, none of us who really love flying got into it for the pay anyway, right?

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it, teaching people how to fly helos is going to be fun!!!

"Are you training terrorists?" (If they only knew how student pilots terrorize the skies)

LOL! I think the buildings would do a lot more damage to the helicopters than the other way around!

"Do you teach the BIG airplanes?" (No, the kind we have to falp our arms really fast)

Yep, and if it gets really bad, you might have to get out and push!!! :D

"You're so brave, I could never do that. I'm afraid of heights." (So am I. But when I have working wings, heights aren't a problem.)

What is it with pilots and a fear of heights.

I too am terrified of heights, but in a helo or stuck-wing, I feel fine.

I recently went skydiving for the first time, just to face my fear. Oh my gosh, stepping out of that Cessna Caravan at 13,500ft took an impressive amount of courage and willpower.

I'm glad I did it, it was an amazing experience!!!

Jason

Latest resources

Back