Being let go on probation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bad advice

Dont put the company you got let go from on your next application. Go back to your CFI job and make it look like it was continued employment from Day1.

Ummm, yeah, I'm gonna have to say that would be some really bad advice to follow from both an ethical and legal standpoint. :erm:

In theory, I agree with your statement. from a practical point of view, the company would be irresponsible for doing it any other way than what they did.

Even though a person on probation can be fired without cause, there are many ways for the employee to challenge the termination. By documenting a failure through an FAA approved training program, the company significantly reduces their exposure to risk. I don't like it any more than you do but that is just the way the system works.

A probationary pilot can still be terminated without too much hoo ha through administrative methods much easier than a non probationary pilot. The biggest difference as you pointed out is having a documented failure through the approved training program. I was a rep for a while. Just about the only place where we'd be guaranteed trouble getting someone's job back is through a training issue. An arbitrator simply will not give someone's job back who has been labeled as troubled.

The rub comes from the fact that a pilot group can't trust a training department that is used as a disciplinary department.

Hopefully as already said, we won't be seeing many more of these type posts...

Man, we have some sanctimonious SOBs here.

Alcohol and airlines are serious issues to be taken seriously. That being said, I know far more guys who have cut way too loose on an overnight (or during a training event night) than have not. I know I have... There is one night after the sim in recurrent I remember in particular (shudder!).

Being on probation is different, and you do have to mind your P's and Q's. That being said, go find a flying job... ANY flying job and show that you can stay employed and out of trouble. You are 21, fer chrissakes! Another chance will come around.

Chin up.

That's a good point. I know most training departments would hate to admit this but I think the supply and demand does have something to do with how strict they are. Less than a year ago most regionals were hiring almost anyone with a pulse. Now most are looking at a furlough. Training can afford to set the bar a little higher now. Of course, that's no excuse. Just emphasizes the need to be on top of your game at all times. If you know your systems, memory items, limitations and maneuvers cold, there's not much they can do to you.

Interesting point. I wonder how many regionals regret how low they actually did lower the bar recently...and are now trying to correct the problem.

You are 21, fer chrissakes! Another chance will come around.

Chin up.

Eh almost 24; but, close enough. I need to go knock out the ATP and hopefully open up a few more doors. I know that 21 and 24 is splitting hairs; but the point of me mentioning that was thank God I'm not 21. I couldn't even imagine how much I would be kicking myself in the rear right now if I dropped out of college to chase the airline dream! That certainly wouldn't have proved worth it.

Eh almost 24; but, close enough. I need to go knock out the ATP and hopefully open up a few more doors. I know that 21 and 24 is splitting hairs; but the point of me mentioning that was thank God I'm not 21. I couldn't even imagine how much I would be kicking myself in the rear right now if I dropped out of college to chase the airline dream! That certainly wouldn't have proved worth it.

Sorry.. Somehow I got the wrong impression. Well, I guess you are screwed.

Jokes! Naw, you'll be fine. Time has a way of taking care of these things. It is a tight job market, so it might be a while.

Sorry.. Somehow I got the wrong impression. Well, I guess you are screwed.

Jokes! Naw, you'll be fine. Time has a way of taking care of these things. It is a tight job market, so it might be a while.

HAHAHA. No, I agree. I know that things work themselves out. Even when you know it's all going to be fine it can be hard to see the light when your at the bottom of the hole (yes acaterry I said "hole").

I just want to get a hold of my PRIA record and figure out what I'm going to say in future interviews.

I don't have a whole lot of advice except to stay positive and come up with a really good answer because it will come up on your next interview. Some pointers in that area, never pass the blame to someone else, tell them what you learned (even if you aren't asked directly), and assure them that your experience since you were let go guarantees it won't happen again.

On another note, what airline is giving a "probie oral?" Is it given before or after recurrent ground school? Why the emphasis on the MEL for FO's? It's important to know, but it's not super critical since it is the Captain's responsibility to determine airworthiness. Was your company downsizing anyway?

American Eagle gives a probie oral. The horror stories are true.

7474ever,
I am still a member of Eaglelounge, and someone posted your first post on this thread. A few of the guys on Eaglelounge are instructors, apparently they know who you are, and they say that they knew who you were before you even came in for your ride, meaning that your name is one that had been brought to their attention as a "problem child" so whats the story????

As far as resigning goes, now that all the airlines use PRIA any place that you interview will see the two busts and the resignation. Not trying to get you down, just trying to find out the whole story.

Again I am happy to help you out with a good job, just let me know.

Yep, typical training center ops !!!!

Latest resources

Back