• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Being let go on probation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as I have been at SkyWest I have seen very few people fail there probation ride. More fail there upgrade then probation at SkyWest. I don't know why everyone is so scared of the non-union thing. It was way worse when I was at Eagle.

Skywest would have fired him. They don't give pilots the option of resigning.

And one of the check airman at Eagle said
"yea, i met the guy briefly. heard stories from people that were there and have seen pictures of the evening that got him and others in trouble."

747, we need some Deets!!!
I hope deets will be forthcoming, deets is still the "word" around here right?

That has not been my experience with the few releases I have sat in on.

I'm not really sure on this one, but I think when companies give you the "option" of resigning, it's about 99% for your company's benefit, and 1% for yours.

If you're fired, you probably will qualify for unemployment insurance. If you resign, you're on your own.

Given the fact that they're "letting you go" either way, I'd say that having them pull the trigger (as opposed to pulling it on yourself) is the better option. After all, you'll be discussing it at your next interview regardless. You can either say:

"I was fired after I failed a training event, and here's what I learned"

VS

"I quit after I failed a training event, and here's what I learned."

Either way, it amounts to the same thing, and your new prospective employer isn't stupid . . . they'll know what went down. May as well get the benefit of a few months of unemployment insurance. You paid into it, and it's there to be used.

My .02.

Last edited:
That has not been my experience with the few releases I have sat in on.

SAPA has a representative in charge of their discipline committee. He keeps records of the guys terminated in the last three years. He said nobody was allowed to resign. In regards to training, they cite "liability" for their reason. If a guy fails training and then goes to another airline and is involved in an accident, they feel the feds will investigate/penalize them. PRIA was designed to flag situations like this, but it doesn't take into account possible unfair check rides. Maybe you were involved in review boards on occasion. Were they allowed to resign due to a training failure?

I hope deets will be forthcoming, deets is still the "word" around here right?

SIU, you will get your "deets". I'll send you a PM tomorrow. I need to get to bed at the moment. I was going to PM you tomorrow anyway about the job you mention in the previous post. I have questions but I think it is something that I would love to give a go.

To hear this is kind of a shock to be honest. I didn't think I had really rubbed anyone the wrong way there and felt that I was liked by a vast majority of the captains that I flew with. All my probationary reports were fine. I saw every one of them before I went to recurrent.

Not that it matters; but, I hope nothing bad is being said about me on eagle lounge. I didn't mean anything bad in my origional post. I just wanted to explain my situation and look for advice. To be called a "problem child" I think is a bit harsh. I was nothing of the sort. I'll explain in the PM tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nothing bad at all 747, just that the company may have been out to get you due to a reason that I think may be not right, true or not I dont know.

Every one wants to know!!!

Come on!! Post those "deets" everybody wants to know now!
Siu,
You must work for Ist......r? Have a friend who used to work there!

And one of the check airman at Eagle said
"yea, i met the guy briefly. heard stories from people that were there and have seen pictures of the evening that got him and others in trouble."

747, we need some Deets!!!

Stu isn't a checkairman. He is a 10/07 new hire who is down at the school house because he is now in long term for the ERJ. Hey give me deets on your over seas company??

Latest resources

Back