• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beechjet questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for everyone's input. Here is what I'm up against. We have looked at a TON of differen't airplanes, and the owners wife likes the BJ....yes, I know, I know. But this is my cross to bear. They want a nicer (larger) cabin than the Lear or Citation, but don't want to spend more than $3M.

Our normal trip of bouncing around the SE U.S., with occaisonal trips to NE U.S. almost anything should suffice. I just want a decent quaity aircraft with a good dispatch reliability.

What are the biggest gripes with the BJ, (aside from double engine flameout!) Range? Fuel burn? Dispatch reliability?

You are right..It's not that bad.. The Push to talk on the glare shield is cool and the avionics are sweet and those TR's really stop that thing also nice flat foor egg shaped cabin. But other than that- It is just a cheap option for a jet. There are a lot of them out there so jobs can be plentiful but many owners would rather you throw that book away as looking at the numbers you will be restricted. I have put 5 sets of golf clubs in the nose of an ultra and 5 roller bags in the tail plus crew bags 5 BIG fellas and flown the distance. If I saw that load coming in a BJ I would fist say an explicit like Oh Sheeringa! then try fighting it for 30 mins and then come out all sweaty and pissed off. Then the pax can enjoy thier nice cabin now cramped with stuff oozing out the lav and belted all over the back seats.
They do have a niche-but I just don't think it will fit the OP's needs. After all look at his Original post--the boss sat in one and liked the cabin. Isn't that how Options sold all thier BJ's along with a cheap price? It is not until the owner shows up with his buds the first time only to find a fuel stop is needed. I know he will be very disappointed trying to get from S.FL to Barre VT (you can call it Montpielier-but the airport is in Barre.) in one-then let it get 35C in FL or get to freezing temp in VT. You got the book-do the numbers-I will gladly send the OP my BJ training stuff to show his Boss what reality is..
Dime line-hurry up and quit options so I can see Beavis smile for once.

Thanks for everyone's input. Here is what I'm up against. We have looked at a TON of differen't airplanes, and the owners wife likes the BJ....yes, I know, I know. But this is my cross to bear. They want a nicer (larger) cabin than the Lear or Citation, but don't want to spend more than $3M.

Our normal trip of bouncing around the SE U.S., with occaisonal trips to NE U.S. almost anything should suffice. I just want a decent quaity aircraft with a good dispatch reliability.

If all he is looking at is a cabin..tell him a mid 1970's GIIB is under 3M.
Big cabin and the range almost of the GIII.. Plus you will get a LOT of avtrip point with that guzzler.

What are the biggest gripes with the BJ, (aside from double engine flameout!) Range? Fuel burn? Dispatch reliability?

Besides the biggest one being the dual flameouts-which look at it I already PM'd you on this but the Diamonds and older BJ's have been out for a long time with no issues then all the sudden they fall out of the sky and the fix from the acft mfgr and engine mfgr is engine ice on? WTF that doesn't sound like a fix-it sounds like guess. Range is one if you compare to the Citation family. Dispatch relaibility is a huge issue-if you get one get used to the phrase-"what the F is it doing that for?". The biggest issue is performance in my book. Take a good look at the ice on numbers as well as the HOT numbers as well as brake energy limits. Then get a hold of the new contaminated runway numbers and start planning on looooong runways.
Most of the guys that say it is not that bad of an airplane usually have nothing else to compare it to-so to them it isn't bad. They are also the guys who I learned to fly the BJ with that ignore most of the charts and hated when I got into them and questioned them on how we were going to take off in LAS at a high temp and make our destination? I get the its OK attitude I've done it before-kinda like the times they wanted to take off overweight. They just changed the rules to fit the mission. Just ask a NJ guy who flies more a Ultra crew or a BJ crew? I already know the answer...If he is buying a plane just or the cabin then let him-just warn him in advance that even if a K Car has a sweet new interior it is still a POS.

Oh, I almost forgot the dance of the "Mother F%^&#r". If and when you go to training they call it a nose gear pin. However you will name it the above mentioned term. When you are in TEB in the winter with deice fluid all over the ground and you are sitting on an engine plug with a foot on each side of the nose wheel kicking it back and forth shouting at this little pin like a 2 yr old having a tantrum. Then you go inside the FBO to wipe off the glycol you got all over the sides of your shoes and pants. Then you want to go find the nearest Japenese guy and kick him in the teeth for ever allowing such an abomination to be built.

Oh, I almost forgot the dance of the "Mother F%^&#r". If and when you go to training they call it a nose gear pin. However you will name it the above mentioned term. When you are in TEB in the winter with deice fluid all over the ground and you are sitting on an engine plug with a foot on each side of the nose wheel kicking it back and forth shouting at this little pin like a 2 yr old having a tantrum. Then you go inside the FBO to wipe off the glycol you got all over the sides of your shoes and pants. Then you want to go find the nearest Japenese guy and kick him in the teeth for ever allowing such an abomination to be built.

Have to agree with this..

If all he is looking at is a cabin..tell him a mid 1970's GIIB is under 3M.
Big cabin and the range almost of the GIII.. Plus you will get a LOT of avtrip point with that guzzler.

Funny you bring up a GIIB, because we seriously condisered one. I pushed it off, as I was scared to death of the maintenance bills, recurring AD's, and the new legislation that is looking to ban stage II A/C.

Latest resources

Back