• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Beechjet questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The beechJet, hawker 400. whatever you whant to call it, is a crappy performer "ground hog", it may have a knot or 2 better then the ultra, but you will get much better overall performance and range out of a citation ultra.

Put 4 or more people on it (beechjet) and look what happens to it. put antiice on with an average load and you might as well stay home. of course you put a load on anything and the performance gets worse.

It takes some larger performance hits to the bad side in various situations.

Do a comparison with 4 peope PBI to TEB for all 3 planes.

Also check for take off performance with a load and with a temp of 30+- celceuis or whatever at a sealevel airport, and out of ASE or some other mountain airport. How is the climb gradient to the top of the departure will they be able to hold the minimum all the way up? we have a few beechjets (hawker 400's) and they avoid the mountain airports. Look at coast to coast trips with a load on board 4 poeple or whatever your typical load would be. then look at all seats full and how may fuel stops will it take.

Last edited:
Hello all:

The boss has told me to go out and get a Beechjet. He sat in one and loved the cabin. We have been flying Citations and a Lear 31A.

What are the general impressions of the 400/400A? Relibility, range, etc. etc.? Has the double-engine flamout issue been resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I don't know if you will listen, but I would steer clear of the Beechjet for the following reasons.

1. Poor performance. If it is hot you are limited, if it is cold and the ice has to come on you are screwed. (You can always ignore the numbers in the book, then it is a great performer)

2. Maintance. I have never seen so much crap break on a airplane of any type in my life. The systems make Frankenstein look easy to put together. Part of the problem IMHO.

3. Fit and finish. The interiors of those things look like they were put together by a six grade art class. Ceesna or Bombarier is much better, or there is no way they could be worse.

4. Gas pig. The jet has old engines on it and loves to burn up fuel. If anyone tells you it has the same engines as the Ultra, then they are wrong. It burns fuel at a impressive rate.

5. Luggage space. There is very little for family of 4 going on vaction with the pilots bags. You can always strap them to the seats, ahh a good time.

6. The Lav. Ok, for being a honey pot, this is the worst designed one on the face of the earth. Heard there are STCs to put a better one in, but haven't dealt with one of those.

7. Flame outs. Ok, the thing has issues, in this dept. Down right scary in my world. Now Raytheon has done some magic and nothing has happened in a while, but who knows.

8. Max Attitude. If you need to climb to the 40's over weather, good luck. If it is ISA plus a few, you are hosed.

I do like the Collins, but that is no reason to buy one of POSs. They ARE cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

I remember a trip from MSP to HPN with 5 or 6 paxs that couldn't be done non-stop, because the anti-ice had to come on and we couldn't make 3.3 with it on. Anyway the owner was pissed, but it didn't matter anyway, because the TR broke on the taxi out. Ultra came in loaded the paxs and away they went, no issues, that is the 400 in a nut shell. Sad little jet.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I am typed in both and could not suggest the BJ over an Ultra Unless you were talking about cost..

Ya know I've been flying the BJ for 7 years and its "not" that bad of a plane. But guys just knocking without any facts isn't fair.

Latest resources

Back