• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ball caps when flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don' t the pilots wear white gloves at JAL, ANA? I saw that someplace.

Yep, we break out the white gloves for taxi, takeoff, and landing. Now back at my old airline, I was the first in line to make fun of any glove wearing craftsman and "I said hell no I ain't wear'n no F**kin' gloves!" But now, I actually kind of like them. I do not get sweaty palms so I don't need them for slippage,they just feel nice. I have flown with guys I wished had gloves, because on the taxi in after the FO landed there is a pool of sweat on the power levers, I learned real quick to taxi grabbing the "sticks". Now don't get me wrong, when I return to the States the gloves will be retired because I don't want to be the afore mentioned tool.

As for why they are used- I've heard three things.
1. Tradition-that's a huge one in Japan
2. Whenever ATC gives an instruction the Captain must acknowledge
verbaly or visually that is understands before the FO responds
back, i.e. Thumbs up, which apparently is easier to see with
peripherals when gloves are worn.
3. Slippage and grip, These guys get really intense when they land

what is the deal with gloves? I have luckily never flown with anybody who wore gloves. now that is gay

Flew with a capt once at a regional who wore military style flight gloves. When I asked him what he had flown in the military, he said he was straight civilian. It was bizarre looking, but I didn't think he was too much of a dork... until a few legs into the trip and he fist pumped down final (with said gloves on) as I was flying the visual into ATL. So, I bit and asked him what was wrong - and he pointed out the 757 beside us on a parallel approach. He thought it was 'really cool' and told me it was only a matter of time before he would be flying 'heavies.'

He really wasn't a bad guy, and I didn't have the heart to tell him I always forgot to say 'heavy' in my reserve job and couldn't remember the last time I'd used my flight gloves for anything but working in the yard... to each his own I guess.

I wear one of those multi-colored Jester Hats with Bells.
Except on Fridays when I pull out the Dreadlocks wig.
And during Passover when I pull out the Yarmulke.

100-1/2

Now that's gotta be amusing

Ever read the accident report on an asian airline (I forget which) A-320 when the ex-pat Captain and the local F/O actually FOUGHT for the controls on the landing?

I have flown with that:eek: type..

Cheers,

AA

You never struck me as a loincloth type of dude, bro! That's some fun-ee shee-it! But I do see a lot of AA pilots doing that.

Course, I've already got other "padding" in that area anyway.....:cool:

Now that's gotta be amusing

Invision any bad, overacting asian karate movie and you get the ideea. It's funny cause they provide their own sound effects.

It's a different culture over here. There was an accident in a Saab 340 where the captain was landing in tsunami like winds (17 kts crosswind) using differential power. Now this is funny because I've landed the saab in 42 kts direct xwind, which is the point you start to run out of rudder, differential power will buy you a few more knots. Anyway, the captain's jacking with the power so severly (more than a 10 degree delta torque) that he tricks the auto-coarsen(feather) logic into thinking the engine failed, in which it triggers the engine to feather for real, at 50 feet no less. Yeager-san then proceeds to freak out and yells, YOUR CONTROLS!!!!" to the copilot at 10 feet. The FO get's it down, rolls off the runway and busts up the nose gear. In the causal factor, i.e. blame, is put squarly on the copilots shoulders for not maintaining directional control upon touchdown. Nowhere is it mentioned that CMDR Genda, caused the situation and handed the FO a crippled bird at ten feet. Such is life in the land of the rising sun. Shoguni...

You never struck me as a loincloth type of dude, bro! That's some fun-ee shee-it! But I do see a lot of AA pilots doing that.

Course, I've already got other "padding" in that area anyway.....:cool:

If they are, they must be former OZ pilots cuz I saw quite a few doing that in my brief tenure as an airline pilot. Only saw one wear driving gloves though and he was pretty scary as I remember.

Invision any bad, overacting asian karate movie and you get the ideea. It's funny cause they provide their own sound effects.

It's a different culture over here. There was an accident in a Saab 340 where the captain was landing in tsunami like winds (17 kts crosswind) using differential power. Now this is funny because I've landed the saab in 42 kts direct xwind, which is the point you start to run out of rudder, differential power will buy you a few more knots. Anyway, the captain's jacking with the power so severly (more than a 10 degree delta torque) that he tricks the auto-coarsen(feather) logic into thinking the engine failed, in which it triggers the engine to feather for real, at 50 feet no less. Yeager-san then proceeds to freak out and yells, YOUR CONTROLS!!!!" to the copilot at 10 feet. The FO get's it down, rolls off the runway and busts up the nose gear. In the causal factor, i.e. blame, is put squarly on the copilots shoulders for not maintaining directional control upon touchdown. Nowhere is it mentioned that CMDR Genda, caused the situation and handed the FO a crippled bird at ten feet. Such is life in the land of the rising sun. Shoguni...

That is some funny stuff- gotta hand it to him for quick thinking at 10'.

That's the funniest story I've read on FI in quite some time!

Yeager-san.....priceless!

Latest resources

Back