Ball caps when flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While we are on the subject...

I remember well a Mesa EMB CA in Charlotte several years ago. He had the interesting habit of never removing his hat... Ever. He may have slept in it. When assuming his position on the flight deck, he would put his David Clarks on right over that uniform hat WWII bomber pilot style. I am not one to mock a fashion statement, but I thought that might be a little over the top.

There is a US Airways guy in my crashpad who is much the same way. Blue uniform hat (which is now optional an looks goofy with the new "funeral director black" uniforms) that stays on his head HOURS post crashpad arrival. I have seen him sitting at the common computer sans uniform shirt, no shoes, uniform pants and still having that hat on his head. Maybe he forgets about it...
you airline guys are pretty funny dudes!:erm:

There out there, we have a capt at OH that does that, he also runs a tape recorder during all checklist.

Hey, is that "PeaceBubbleBoy?" Haven't had the 'pleasure.' Had an FO (furloughed now) don the white cotton gloves, though. He did it only for T/O & landing. Haven't see the loincloth come out, but there is one who stuffs all kinds of blankets under the seat.

what is the deal with gloves? I have luckily never flown with anybody who wore gloves. now that is gay

Let's see: Zip up boots....on. Raybans....on. Baseball hat...on. Clip on tie....off. Stolen motel pen....standby. Black leather gloves....on. Mini pillow for bad back....N/A. Squeezy ball....standby. Are you ready.... engine start checklist.​

I'd say 9 times out of ten the "ball cap" is hiding something shiny and hairless. There was a guy at my old airline who was so paranoid about his bald head he wore his uniform hat right into the cockpit before stealthily changing into his ball cap. Thing was, he was so good at it I never actually saw him do it. It was like a magic act...one second a uniform hat...the next, presto..a ball cap!

When I think of some of the weird characters I've come across in this business...like the guy who always wore a bullet proof vest under his pilot shirt, or the guy who started crying in front of the boss 'cause his wife left him...on a flight he was flying! Ok, better stop.

Happy flying!

While we are on the subject...

I remember well a Mesa EMB CA in Charlotte several years ago. He had the interesting habit of never removing his hat... Ever. He may have slept in it. When assuming his position on the flight deck, he would put his David Clarks on right over that uniform hat WWII bomber pilot style. I am not one to mock a fashion statement, but I thought that might be a little over the top.

There is a US Airways guy in my crashpad who is much the same way. Blue uniform hat (which is now optional an looks goofy with the new "funeral director black" uniforms) that stays on his head HOURS post crashpad arrival. I have seen him sitting at the common computer sans uniform shirt, no shoes, uniform pants and still having that hat on his head. Maybe he forgets about it...

Tell Bob to take his silly hat off.

Had a operations officer in our squadron many years ago. Takes a couple of weeks to inprocess, get settled in. Full head of hair. First time he comes into fly he walks in completely bald. Hey, what happened to you! Couldn't help blurting out. Wore a rug when he wasn't flying. Couldn't fly with it because AF regs prohibited it due to it being flammable. After a while we got used to it. If he had hair, he wasn't flying. He he didn't, he was. Same guy who flew the C-123 in Vietnam dropping agent orange. Kept a photo in a frame up on the wall of the plane doing its business. Guys would use a black grease marker and write on the picture frame glass little people under the cloud of agent orange yelling "ahhh, it burns, it burns!" He'd wipe it away, but it would always come back. Drove him nuts.

I have worn a baseball cap for 30 years or more in the cockpit. The hair is thinning a little but still have plenty.

Latest resources

Back