• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ball caps when flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've only flown with two guys in the past 10 years that wore baseball caps in the cockpit. One of them had been an operations inspector at a FSDO immediately prior. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The guy that got me was the former Pakistani Air Force pilot that made a production of putting on his fingerless driving gloves just prior to engine start. THAT was a hoot.

You must be a real treat to fly with....I use a hat or visor late in the day landing into the sun.. helps cut the glare.....and if the FAA don't like it well.....
I could care less. What I mentioned was if a Fed was on board. Regarding your "if the FED don't like it well...." Great attitude. Whoever is with you has to do everything they can to prevent you from taking them both down. I've flown with guys like you and you're right, it is a "real treat."

I flew with a d-bag captain (also a check airman) a few years back who put some freaking special towel on his lap so the lap belt didn't rub his pants and he didn't get bits of the paperwork on his pants. He referred to them as his "flying chaps." He was a real gem.

As for hats, knock yourself out. I've thought about wearing one myself.

It doesn't meet the FAA requirements of donning a sweep-on or quick-don oxygen mask. The test for putting on the mask doesn't include the time it takes to take off the headset, takeoff the hat, put the headset back on, then put the mask on. Most airlines don't know or don't care, but if there is a Fed in the jumpseat, I wouldn't wear one. O2 masks have become a big emphasis item recently. Sooner or later, they're going to decide to make a point of this.

My airline you just have to be able don the mask and googles and establish communication within a set amount of time. Nothing about the extra .03 seconds it would take to remove your hat. There is no reg against wearing a hat while flying and I'm guessing if a fed tried to make an issue of it, the fed would get in more trouble than the pilot.

In college I wore a hat one day. about half way through the lesson my instructor asked why I had it on. I said I was still feeling last night and part of this morning. He learnded not to like me after awhile.

I flew with a d-bag captain (also a check airman) a few years back who put some freaking special towel on his lap so the lap belt didn't rub his pants and he didn't get bits of the paperwork on his pants. He referred to them as his "flying chaps." He was a real gem.

There out there, we have a capt at OH that does that, he also runs a tape recorder during all checklist.

I take it you haven't been in many AA cockpits? They seem to like the loin cloth thing for some reason.

How about Fedoras?

I take it you haven't been in many AA cockpits? They seem to like the loin cloth thing for some reason.

Yup, I use the blue napkin from the dinner tray, I guess I must be a real
D-bag FO...:rolleyes:

AA

No ball cap, it will mess up my dooo:cool:

Latest resources

Back