• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bag lost while jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really? You guarantee it????? He's a 717 pilot who is commuting on a 757. Last time I checked, most AirTran 717s operate out of ATL and Delta operates A LOT of 757s out of ATL. Hope not but just sayin'........

Oh, I was wrong, My apologies, I guess DAL does suck (other's words not mine!), He clarified it two posts before you... I've seen it on the airline that can't seem to combine both sides in their merger who also operates 75's on both sides!

Relax, I was wrong, my apologies...Unlike some on here, I can admit it!

KBB

Never had any problem stashing bags up front on big D. Can't remember if I had to do that on WN, but want to say yes and it was not a problem.

A better way to ensure gate checks get on would be to have a belt loader up to the galley door and send bags down and right into the hold.

JS'ed tonight on a just about full 757. As usual they don't let me on until the very end and there is no space for bags. I have the last cabin seat. Ask Capt if I can stash my bag in the cockpit rather than check it because I'm connecting to another airline and it's going to be difficult to go to bag claim, etc, etc at the intermediate stop. He says he doesn't have room. In a 757 cockpit. For 1 crew bag. When there was nobody except the 2 pilots up there. Ok... So I check the bag. They put the full deal tag with name, bar codes, etc on it and take it away. Get to bag claim to get my bag...it's not there. End up waiting for almost 90 minutes and talked with the baggage service office people who,are very nice but can't locate the bag. They start a claim and tell me if they find it they'll let me know. Niiiice....

All of that to ask...has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? I'm thinking I'm pretty much S.O.L. as far as getting them to pay to replace my belongings, right? Any other guidance besides "never check your bag"?

Thanks.

When I was in the Air Force flying the C-141 we had a guy jumping with us that pissed off the Flight Engineer. When we landed at a short in route cargo stop, the engineer took the jumper's bag off our plane and put in on an adjacent C-5 heading the opposite direction. The engineer boasted about it a a few days later but I don't know if the jumper ever found the bag.

The gate agent throws it out the jetway door into the slide chute where the bags slides down to the bottom and stays because no one tells the rampers and they don't bother to make a final check.

Yes, chute on left side of plane, out of view of rampers. That's why I always walk mine down to the belt loader on the right side of the plane. Years ago a ramper or two would tell me not to do their job but now that they have to lug soooo many bags (because folks are skirting the bag fee by checking them at the gate)... well they like it when you carry your own bag back and forth to the cargo door.

When I was in the Air Force flying the C-141 we had a guy jumping with us that pissed off the Flight Engineer. When we landed at a short in route cargo stop, the engineer took the jumper's bag off our plane and put in on an adjacent C-5 heading the opposite direction. The engineer boasted about it a a few days later but I don't know if the jumper ever found the bag.
Had a ramper show me a baggage ticket, said it was for Bangkok, just for special bags.....

I'd take that bet, because I guarantee you it wasn't DAL.

I've seen it happen on a different airline. OFTEN

KBB

Looks like you owe me 100 bucks

Next time your at the bar , use my 100 bucks to treat an AirTran crew to a free meal and drinks .

That should cover it. :)

I've learned to AlWAYS get a claim tag. I do it nicely but insist, since my bags have been lost before.

If it does happen to be DAL, you can track it on their app if its been tagged and scanned, even pink tags.

Was in the JS of an Airways 737 a few years ago, valet tagged my roller board (BWI) we push, as we're in the ally disconnecting I see the ground crew rolling my bag inside. I tell the CA, he calls ops and argue for almost 20 minutes that they didn't bring a bag in, then that they had but they lost it etc, ca said they weren't moving until they located it and brought it out. Eventually they 'found' it and brought it out.

I have never seen a Capt on the 757/767 refuse to allow a jumpseater to throw a bag upfront. Not saying it can't happen, but most guys I fly with have no problem with that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back