Bag lost while jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j41driver

JS'ed tonight on a just about full 757. As usual they don't let me on until the very end and there is no space for bags. I have the last cabin seat. Ask Capt if I can stash my bag in the cockpit rather than check it because I'm connecting to another airline and it's going to be difficult to go to bag claim, etc, etc at the intermediate stop. He says he doesn't have room. In a 757 cockpit. For 1 crew bag. When there was nobody except the 2 pilots up there. Ok... So I check the bag. They put the full deal tag with name, bar codes, etc on it and take it away. Get to bag claim to get my bag...it's not there. End up waiting for almost 90 minutes and talked with the baggage service office people who,are very nice but can't locate the bag. They start a claim and tell me if they find it they'll let me know. Niiiice....

All of that to ask...has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? I'm thinking I'm pretty much S.O.L. as far as getting them to pay to replace my belongings, right? Any other guidance besides "never check your bag"?

Thanks.

I feel your pain. On two occasions my bag was gate checked to baggage claim and didn't make the flight. I had to wait until the next flight arrived and sure enough it showed up. Both times I was commuting to work but wasn't late for sign in.

JS'ed tonight on a just about full 757. As usual they don't let me on until the very end and there is no space for bags. I have the last cabin seat. Ask Capt if I can stash my bag in the cockpit rather than check it because I'm connecting to another airline and it's going to be difficult to go to bag claim, etc, etc at the intermediate stop. He says he doesn't have room. In a 757 cockpit. For 1 crew bag. When there was nobody except the 2 pilots up there. Ok... So I check the bag. They put the full deal tag with name, bar codes, etc on it and take it away. Get to bag claim to get my bag...it's not there. End up waiting for almost 90 minutes and talked with the baggage service office people who,are very nice but can't locate the bag. They start a claim and tell me if they find it they'll let me know. Niiiice....

All of that to ask...has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? I'm thinking I'm pretty much S.O.L. as far as getting them to pay to replace my belongings, right? Any other guidance besides "never check your bag"?

Thanks.

Name the airline. Very ****************************** thing to not take your bag up front!!!!

If it was my airline, "D", I sincerely apologize.

Unfortunately, some "Professionals" who don't commute, seem to try to make commuting a bit more challenging.

I try to never check a bag, however, if you do make sure it says "CREW", with as many tags and identification as possible.

PM me if I can help in any way.

J41, there's a lot of things I could say about that Capt, but it would get me kicked off this board. ALL of us employees should take care of each other, even from other companies. When I was flying the 757 at TWA I would have found your bag a place in the cockpit. I'll bet that Capt is a guy F/O's try to bid around.

One way to get it back quickly is to remind them that
your lost bag is a "security issue" now if you had
(and I'm assuming you did) have parts of your uniform
in there. Good luck! D-bag move on the crew not letting
you stash your bag.

I will bet a 100 bucks it was DAL. :)

You are on Ahole!!!

Sorry about the bag, and I would file a claim with the local police and perhaps the FBI about the uniform items, I'll bet it gets found quick.

Latest resources

Back