• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

bad timing USAir rejection letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If USAir and American combined have 100 pilots under 37 years of age I would be very surprised.

Anyone hired early at the combined AmericaUS, who is under 30 is going to have a career that looks like what we all dream about. These people will spend the bulk of their career in the left seat of widebody airplanes and will never understand the disappointment of long term reserve FOs.

It's US Airways, soon to be American Airlines. No one else to my knowledge is hiring. Things have changed a lot. There's a reason guys are leaving Jet Blue for US Airways. That would have never happened just a few years ago. If I were leaving a commuter as captain or the military, Delta would be my first choice followed by the new American. Well, actually Alaska would be my second choice, but only because I'm a west coast guy. New hires probably will not be able to hold PHX or LAX for a long time.

Ok true on the name ...Hell I used to work there .. Well kinda .. AWA one of the last ones .got out just in time .. . But the last merger went soooo well .. I hope for the AWA guys it gets resolved correctly ...

Aren't there other / better airlines to work for than USair at the job fair ?? Might take resume to them ...can't hurt ..

Another partisan shot at Usairways East from a former Westie
So - name the other / better airlines to work for so I may be the judge this time

Metrojet

Ok true on the name ...Hell I used to work there .. Well kinda .. AWA one of the last ones .got out just in time .. . But the last merger went soooo well .. I hope for the AWA guys it gets resolved correctly ...

That's good you went to Alaska, you shouldn't have any regrets. We had some guys though go to Virgin, Boeing, JetBlue, etc., and they're kicking themselves now. There's just no way of knowing for sure in this industry. In my situation I'm lucky I stayed.

That's good you went to Alaska, you shouldn't have any regrets. We had some guys though go to Virgin, Boeing, JetBlue, etc., and they're kicking themselves now. There's just no way of knowing for sure in this industry. In my situation I'm lucky I stayed.

Yes ..I lucked out ... !! I would have been furghlough shortly after I left..hope it workes out for you no matter what happens .. Byut you never know untill you retire ... If you made the right choice .. So well see I got lots of time ..

Another partisan shot at Usairways East from a former Westie
So - name the other / better airlines to work for so I may be the judge this time

Metrojet

Alaska .. Better now .. In 10 or 20 who knows.. but . Glad I didn't have to deal with Usapa!!

I would also think FedEx or UPS, Hawaiian , would be better but ?? Who knows its all a crapshoot !

Last edited:
If USAir and American combined have 100 pilots under 37 years of age I would be very surprised.

Anyone hired early at the combined AmericaUS, who is under 30 is going to have a career that looks like what we all dream about. These people will spend the bulk of their career in the left seat of widebody airplanes and will never understand the disappointment of long term reserve FOs.

You're right, a forty year old here is considered a youngin'. Anything under 40 and you should have a pacifier in your mouth. It's like one of the union guys said to a new hire class, " you all are going to have the careers the rest of us dreamed about."

Alaska .. Better now .. In 10 or 20 who knows.. but . Glad I didn't have to deal with Usapa!!

I would also think FedEx or UPS, Hawaiian , would be better but ?? Who knows its all a crapshoot !

Fed Ex or UPS definitely, Hawaiian has some serious problems to face financially. Wouldn't be surprised if they are acquired at some point by a bigger airline.

It's US Airways, soon to be American Airlines. No one else to my knowledge is hiring. Things have changed a lot. There's a reason guys are leaving Jet Blue for US Airways. That would have never happened just a few years ago. If I were leaving a commuter as captain or the military, Delta would be my first choice followed by the new American. Well, actually Alaska would be my second choice, but only because I'm a west coast guy. New hires probably will not be able to hold PHX or LAX for a long time.

You're right, a forty year old here is considered a youngin'. Anything under 40 and you should have a pacifier in your mouth. It's like one of the union guys said to a new hire class, " you all are going to have the careers the rest of us dreamed about."

Day one in class at CAL lead with a lovely chart of how fast I was going to be senior based on retirements alone. That was based on Age 60. Remember what that union guy said so you can laugh at the irony in the years ahead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back