Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babbit Selling out On the 1500 Min Hire Rule....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still, even as a sell-out, it's better to have him there in that position rather than some lawyer or politician.
Because he's still going to run to the highest bidder(ATA)? It might as well be a lawyer or a politician in that seat...

Airlines will never comply. As soon as one airline ignores a voluntary compliance and gains a competitive edge, the others will follow... perhaps 8 hours scheduled rest is an example...
I think there's a case for compliance. The Airlines can go back to Congress with a cost analysis outlining the increased costs (Namely having to hire more crews and train them) and the associated losses that will be incurred.

And that's the beginning of their case for government subsidies...which in turn leads to some form of regulation. This administration ought to eat that up.

Because he's still going to run to the highest bidder(ATA)? It might as well be a lawyer or a politician in that seat...

Babbitt is doing lots of good things. The flight/duty time ARC is going to issue their recommendations very soon, and they're going to contain some radical changes. Randy is supporting it 100%. Some lawyer or politician wouldn't be doing that. He has to balance it at least somewhat, though, so we won't get absolutely everything we want. Opposing this legislation is how he's balancing. Things could be a hell of a lot worse.

Sorry, but Babbit caving in now sets a precedent for all of the things to come. An ATP is titled appropriately and should be designated as such.

I talked to a DOT guy recently and he said they didn't seem too concerned with the crew duty day, international reserve, poorly qualified new hires, or other serious problems. He seemed to think that the FAA was more concerned on the big decline in pilot training starts for US citizens. Wondering how the country is going to staff future cockpits and convince kids to spend $100k to get a $20k a year job.

He seemed to think that the solution that would be approved was to allow foreign pilots in the country on work visas since there would be a shortage of US citizens pilots will to work for low compensation. Sort of like crop pickers.

I will be very surprised if the FAA does anything meaningful, and not just a smoke and mirrors job that effectively does NOTHING.

Last edited:
I talked to a DOT guy recently and he said they didn't seem too concerned with the crew duty day, international reserve, poorly qualified new hires, or other serious problems. He seemed to think that the FAA was more concerned on the big decline in pilot training starts for US citizens. Wondering how the country is going to staff future cockpits and convince kids to spend $100k to get a $20k a year job.

He seemed to think that the solution that would be approved was to allow foreign pilots in the country on work visas since there would be a shortage of US citizens pilots will to work for low compensation. Sort of like crop pickers.

I will be very surprised if the FAA does anything meaningful, and not just a smoke and mirrors job that effectively does NOTHING.

What big decline in pilot training starts in the U.S? There is 10 years' worth of data on the FAA website concerning original airman certificates issued by category, and there certainly hasn't been any declines of note since 2008. No 2009 data on there, however.

A 200 hour wonder has no business being in the right seat of a commercial airliner, PERIOD!

But he or she can fly a high performance jet or a large transport in the military to defend your freedoms? I am not ex or present military!

I am fairly certain the military hand picks their pilots taking into account aptitude for flying and other attributes. They also train to a much higher proficiency as well. The regional airlines don't really do this at all they take whoever passes their interview and give all kinds of second chances, people are not held to such a high standard and do not have as much to lose as military pilots.

Sorry, but Babbit caving in now sets a precedent for all of the things to come. An ATP is titled appropriately and should be designated as such.

Recall Babbitt is the FAA Admin. Just becuae he was a pilot and ALPA president doesn't mean he is an exclusive pilot agent. The FAA is not a pilots union.....

Agreed..... work visa's and residence permits (might not be needed) are political and easy to do..... it is closer than we think...

on the other hand 9/11 might be good for pilots in terms of having US citizens flying US registered jets for US companies...

Recall Babbitt is the FAA Admin. Just becuae he was a pilot and ALPA president doesn't mean he is an exclusive pilot agent. The FAA is not a pilots union.....

Of course you would defend him....He is a former ALPA President and appointed by the Messiah......It can't be his fault...Let me guess....It's the fault of those unprofessional Skywest pilots...

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Agreed..... work visa's and residence permits (might not be needed) are political and easy to do..... it is closer than we think...

on the other hand 9/11 might be good for pilots in terms of having US citizens flying US registered jets for US companies...

How about citizenship....I realize that your party wants to let everyone come in and work...Which party is the one who wants to allow everyone to come in and work?.....

Latest resources

Back