Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B-737 type rating for SWA hurt you elsewhere?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not at AirTran

FWIW, be honest and tell the truth . . . most HR personnel are really in tune with what and how you're saying something and will most likely pick up on a fib. Tell the truth, and go with it. At my interview with AirTran, it never came up except one of the interviewers mentioned as an aside, "I hope you get to the 737 since you already have the type."
Cheers
'Props

A friend of mine was turned down at SWA, interviewed at CAL and was hired. It did come up but according to him, the interviewer actually joked about it. It seems like it's certainly manageable, if everything else goes well.

Not to mention your chances of going to the 737 at CAL are high anyway.

Great info guys, thanks a ton. Its just an issue Ive been wondering about lately when deciding what to do in the future.

Fly safe!

It Helped

I had a 737 type and was hired by SWA when I interviewed at Fedex. It didn't come up. I'll tell you this, it was a very valuable training experience and helped me when I upgraded to the right seat of the 727 here at Fedex. FWIW.

I am guessing Spirit frowns on the 737 type since they single it out on thier application even though they don't fly any and I don't think that acquiring them will happen any time soon.

Lear70 said:
Most of those 737 places are type rating mills and spoon feed you by fire hose everything you need to pass, including answers to oral questions, exact checkride profiles, and the checkrides almost NEVER deviate from what you've practiced. I think the failure rate is in the single digit percentile for most of them.

Just an FYI....at my old "legacy" carrier, where I got my 737 type during my Captain upgrade....It was a 2 week ground school and in that ground school I got "everything I needed to pass."

We also had 5 sim ride followed by a PC and a LOFT....and I was overly prepared for that...

And the failure rate at my old "legacy" was also in the single digit percentile from what I was told by a Check Airman....

Soooooo....where's the difference?

BTW....got the type and sent in my app to SWA the very next day.

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
Just an FYI....at my old "legacy" carrier, where I got my 737 type during my Captain upgrade....It was a 2 week ground school and in that ground school I got "everything I needed to pass."

We also had 5 sim ride followed by a PC and a LOFT....and I was overly prepared for that...

And the failure rate at my old "legacy" was also in the single digit percentile from what I was told by a Check Airman....

Soooooo....where's the difference?

BTW....got the type and sent in my app to SWA the very next day.

Tejas
The difference is that you were being trained BY AN AIRLINE to actually fly the airplane, then you logged time in it.

HUGE difference. If you have any real question about that, go get a 20- series Lear type, they're about $4,000 to $6,000, one of the cheapest around, then go apply for a 20- series Lear job with 0 Learjet time, see how far that gets you (hint: most insurance companies require at LEAST 500 to 1,000 Lear PIC before they'll turn you loose in a 20- series).

Same would probably happen if you tried to get a direct-entry 737 PIC job in Asia or elsewhere they're hiring DE 737 CA's with the type but without any actual flight time in the 737.

The 737 type means next to nothing except for Southwest.

I think it ultimately boils down to how your potential employers VIEW
THEMSELVES on the food chain. CAL, JetBlue, etc seem to be comfortable in the knowledge that if they hire you, you are not going to jump ship to SWA.

Whereas, say, Allegiant, Champion, Kallitta, etc. know the score and will hold it against you.

I think the interviewing employer's attitude towards this issue SPEAKS VOLUMES as to what they have to offer career-wise.

Lear70 said:
The difference is that you were being trained BY AN AIRLINE to actually fly the airplane, then you logged time in it.

True dat !!! But I thought your comments were about training....not actually flying the airplane...and your statement concerning training....when I walked out of that sim building with my freshly printed, wet ink, type rating and not yet having flown the airplane ( well, in the Left seat, anyway)....it was no different that a type one gets from a type school....it said "B 737" just like any other type....

And remember....airlines also do 737 type training to outside customers. In fact, as I recall, my old legacy also started charging for those that "just might want" a 737 type....and the pilots that took advantage of that never had any intention of flying the airplane....at that airline.

Tejas

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back