Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B-737 type rating for SWA hurt you elsewhere?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CubanSmoker said:
I was wondering about that too. Would another airline think, "If SWA didn't hire him, what the heck is wrong with this guy that we're not seeing?"

I can hear the interview now:

"So, I see you have a 737 type. How much time do you have in it?"
"None"

"So you bought the type to get in with SWA"
"Yes sir I did"

"Did you interview there?"
"Yes sir I did"

"And they didn't hire you?"
"No sir they didn't"

(pause)
"Well thanks for your time! We'll be in touch!"

Interesting and I think accurate. I had a very similar set of questions asked about my failed Delta interview prior to AA.

It was exactly:
"Did you interview there?"
"Yes sir I did"

"And they didn't hire you?"
"No sir they didn't"

But their next question was, with a smile, "If WE hired you, would you be a productive and loyal employee?"

So attempting to hide other interview or hiring attempts I think would be beyond foolish. They know that you are looking for a job and wil seek employment with other carriers. Being honest IS the way to go.

It's come up in interviews I've had, and it's cost me.

It depends on the company and the interview team....And often the person applying for the job.

Some companies (UPS and corporate) are insecure about hiring and worry about you leaving for greener pastures. FedEx knows few leave them anymore for anywhere else. UPS sees a revolving door on the new hires they think are qualified for FedEx and SWA. Recently, CAL and JB just want to get good quality applicants on the property and hopes they stay.

But, IMHO, its how you come accross. Few people are really good liars. We come accross as hiding something. Be prepared to tell the truth with a positive spin on it. Don't avoid this question in your interview prep. But don't focus all your time on it, just expect it.

Have a good answer and feel comfortable about your explanation. Being worried about how your answer will be received will make you look nervous. Being nervous about it will worry your interviewer.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
It depends on the company and the interview team....And often the person applying for the job.

Some companies (UPS and corporate) are insecure about hiring and worry about you leaving for greener pastures. FedEx knows few leave them anymore for anywhere else. UPS sees a revolving door on the new hires they think are qualified for FedEx and SWA. Recently, CAL and JB just want to get good quality applicants on the property and hopes they stay.

But, IMHO, its how you come accross. Few people are really good liars. We come accross as hiding something. Be prepared to tell the truth with a positive spin on it. Don't avoid this question in your interview prep. But don't focus all your time on it, just expect it.

Have a good answer and feel comfortable about your explanation. Being worried about how your answer will be received will make you look nervous. Being nervous about it will worry your interviewer.
Absolutely.

I had the 737 type when I interviewed at airTran. Actually got it free from the government's WIA (Workforce Improvement Act) money when I got laid off after 9/11.

The interviewer never asked how I got it or how I paid for it, just asked me "So you have a 737 type rating?" "Yes, sir." "Plan on working for Southwest?" "Not if you hire me, sir. I'm tired of job switching, just want a place to hang my hat permanently."

A good, prepared, direct, and honest approach usually works best. They know that Southwest doesn't always interview pilots who have the type and they know some don't make it through on the first or even second or third Southwest attempt due to interview jitters or whatever.

If they like you and think you'll stay, they'll look past it. If you come across like an opportunist who will bail at the first chance OR if the company is really paranoid about it, you're hosed.

Good luck,,,

I do not have the type, although a friend of mine does. He explains it as not having a sole desire to work for SWA but as a commitment to aviation and his career. He says it proves he is trainable to fly the same class of aircraft operated by all of his target companies (he is an RJ guy). He is a stand-up guy and has a good background, but has been unsuccessful to this point landing a job. So I don't know if he interviews poorly, they don't like him because of the 737 type or what, but I feel like his reasons for having it are solid.

Charlie Brown said:
I do not have the type, although a friend of mine does. He explains it as not having a sole desire to work for SWA but as a commitment to aviation and his career. He says it proves he is trainable to fly the same class of aircraft operated by all of his target companies (he is an RJ guy).
Actually... if I was an interviewer and he threw that answer at me, I might raise the bullsh*t flag.

I don't doubt your assertion that he's a stand-up guy, so don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to dispariage him at all, but I DO recommend HIGHLY him getting some professional interview coaching.

He sounds like he needs it for 2 reasons: first, if he's getting interviews but no jobs, he's doing something wrong. Period. Either something in his background or his interview skills needs work.

Second, that answer about the type comes across sounding like a cop-out. Better to say, "Yes, Southwest was one of my target airlines and I have done everything possible to make myself as desirable as possible to the two (or three or whatever) airlines I have applications with. This is a great company and I have done everything possible to secure THIS position, and will be a committed and dedicated employee."

He is a stand-up guy and has a good background, but has been unsuccessful to this point landing a job. So I don't know if he interviews poorly, they don't like him because of the 737 type or what, but I feel like his reasons for having it are solid.
Most airlines don't look at someone "buying" a type rating, no matter what it's in, and then having zero time in it as an advantage over another candidate. Most of those 737 places are type rating mills and spoon feed you by fire hose everything you need to pass, including answers to oral questions, exact checkride profiles, and the checkrides almost NEVER deviate from what you've practiced. I think the failure rate is in the single digit percentile for most of them.

A 737 type is not really indicative of your ability to pass training and survive in an airline environment, it's just a check mark on an application for Southwest. He nees a better answer IMHO.

never had to use it in an interview, but I planned on stating that I had GI Bill benefits that I never planned on using for college, so I let them pay for half of it... and at the time I was looking for employment (in 2003), SWA was one of two major pax carriers that was hiring so I needed every edge I could get. That's the honest answer.

Last edited:
Like someone said earlier, its hard to be a good liar. I think interviewers can tell someone who means it when he tells them he just wants a job at a good outfit versus someone who merely parrots the line.

I've never been involved in hiring anywhere and likely never will be, but i'm pretty sure I could spot a bs artist who intends to spend his time doing nothing else but seeking "greener" pastures. I'm sure most interviewers are plenty able to do the same.

Latest resources

Back