Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B-737 type rating for SWA hurt you elsewhere?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
both are good companies. we can argue about future profitability of both companies, but right now SWA seems to have the upper hand. Also max FO pay at SWA is only a couple thousand dollars less than max CA pay at JB. things to consider.

Tejas-Jet said:
True dat !!! But I thought your comments were about training....not actually flying the airplane...and your statement concerning training....when I walked out of that sim building with my freshly printed, wet ink, type rating and not yet having flown the airplane ( well, in the Left seat, anyway)....it was no different that a type one gets from a type school....it said "B 737" just like any other type....
In a lot of places, I'm sure that's very true, especially for the 737.

In some other places, like Express One which was turning a 727 over to guys in their 20's, the type rides were brutal, orals could last between 6 to 8 hours, although the flying part wasn't too terribly bad.

Same thing for my CRJ type, the instructor got "creative" and gave me to simultaneous failures on top of each other (in violation of reg). Did OK, but some places aren't as friendly as others whereas the type rating mills wouldn't ever do that, it'd kill business.

Either way, I don't think that an employer would view it as a "plus" or some sort of "guarantee" that you'd pass THEIR training. I think THAT was the point I was trying to make and might not have done very well making.

And remember....airlines also do 737 type training to outside customers. In fact, as I recall, my old legacy also started charging for those that "just might want" a 737 type....and the pilots that took advantage of that never had any intention of flying the airplane....at that airline.

Tejas
Yeah, I seem to remember USAirways doing something like that back in the early 90's (don't know if that's where you were talking about as I KINDA recall UAL doing it too). My dad mentioned it to me but I had no intention of buying the type. I'm sure places like that had no intention of busting anyone out, people would stop paying... :)

Last edited:
Hamburger said:
I think it ultimately boils down to how your potential employers VIEW
THEMSELVES on the food chain. CAL, JetBlue, etc seem to be comfortable in the knowledge that if they hire you, you are not going to jump ship to SWA.

Whereas, say, Allegiant, Champion, Kallitta, etc. know the score and will hold it against you.

I think the interviewing employer's attitude towards this issue SPEAKS VOLUMES as to what they have to offer career-wise.

I did... Best thing I ever did too..

While interviewing to fly Lears and King Airs (with time in each) usually the first or second question was "You've been flying a DC-8 and have a 737 type. Why are you here?" At other airlines, it wasn't an issue (for me.)

Wasn't an issue at AirTran or FedEx. I do wish I had my 7g's back though.

It's pretty small minded for an interviewer to screw you for having a type. Air Tran, JB, and FedEx are loaded with new hires that bought the type. Not a big deal. They should remember that you cannot put all your eggs in one basket. Just remember that your loyalties now lie with your new employer and to show that in your interview.

FreightNazi said:
Have heard that UPS HR is very hesitant about a candidate with a 737 type.

We have had quite a few UPS guys come through the interview lately, so I wouldnt doubt it seeing that the company gets the background check request.

Pilots are trying to leave UPS for SWA? Do you know why? Nothing against SWA, but once you get on with a good employer like UPS, why would you switch?

Thanks.

skydiverdriver2 said:
Pilots are trying to leave UPS for SWA? Do you know why? Nothing against SWA, but once you get on with a good employer like UPS, why would you switch?

Thanks.

So they can be a "real" airline pilot. You know, unruly passengers, TSA, quick turns all day, no time to eat in a civilized manner, early AM shows, worry about the price of fuel, worry about some startup taking your business away and they get to prance around the terminals in front of all the passengers with their precious uniform on!

Latest resources

Back