• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awful landings???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also had a pretty bad one on a new delivery from BFI. 30R at MSP and totally boched the follow thru. Nose came down so hard our jumpseater nearly ended up on the floor. We turned around for building C and held short for a whale leaving on 4 and I don't think I've been that close to a 744 since. Really nice view of the rotation and T/O...too bad I didn't have the camera. Boeing treated us like kings at the delivery.

The worst one I ever witnessed was 3 days after my vastectomy from the right seat, still brings tears to my eyes. She looked over and said "whats a matter" all I could muster was a wimper of "nothing" I picked the boys up off the floor and neatly tucked them into my socks, and called the galley for some more water,popped 3 Advils, which had no effect.:uzi:

I got one the other day in RDU 23L...i have a good excuse though...it was clear and the winds were calm. all well, beers were on me that night.

Last edited:
bad landing? you mean have I ever made a good landing..

Mine would have to be when I was doing my PPL in the C-152. It was one of my very first landings, ever, so you can imagine how this went. I took it in pretty nicely on the approach and flared a little to high, that combined with ground effect was bleeding my airspeed like nothing. After practically stalling the plane we just slammed onto the runway. I know the landing was horrible so I glance at my instructor, he then looks out the window and looks back and says "Well, the right-side gear is still on."

Never forget that one.

mrnolmts said:
Leaving the note was the positive, silly! :)

Obviously. However, stickshaker is not stall. If the airplane was stalled, I'm thinking the nose would have dropped first. Not saying it's ok to go to stickshaker by any means, just clarifying.

Since I haven't trained at Mesa, I don't know. However, I *do* agree it seems suspect..

No argument there...

Well, we actually have an airport here at QX (Sun Valley) where, if you get beyond a certain point, you are commited to land ("A go around is not an option"). Granted, it applies to single engine ops, but still.. A direct quote from the Q400 Flight Standards Manual:
"...Once below 5,700, you are committed to land"
My point is, there are airports where a go-around is not an option. Don't ask me how many, cause I only know of this one ;) Obviously, in this particular case, a go-around was not prohibited, so I can't argue your point regarding her making a statement that shouldn't have been made.
Finally, let me conclude by reiterating that I am not defending any actions taken by this crew. All I'm saying is that it's very easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback...
:beer:

I fly into Sun Valley fairly often and don't find it all that bad....now Aspen is another story.
Anyway, she went BEYOND the shaker....2.75 Gs remember. Sounds like a stall to me. And don't forget, this aint no straight wing airplane, stalls have very different charactaristics.
ROA is definitely not one of those airports like Aspen or even Sun Valley. As long as you get that big left turn started you will be fine. Simply put, she screwed the pooch and then some. Go to NTSB.gov, do the query and read the thing...your jaw will drop.
Fly Safe
Terry

Latest resources

Back