• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa/usairs Arbitration In !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hockeypilot, you can't tell the East pilots anything. They talk only to God and that's just because since they're older than him they think they're wiser.

AAA: "Always An A55hole"

You bring a new understanding to the "God is my Co-pilot" vanity plate. You should get one.

Only poblem is your co-pilot is convinced the capt is the devil.

Oh, what harmony will abound.

From the AWA MEC Chairman:

Fellow AWA Pilots:
As most of you are aware, the MEC received the merged seniority list late last night under a directive by Chairman Nicolau to release the list at a specific time. That list and the decision is on the secure AWA MEC website and available for download.
The MEC is working with the Merger Committee and outside counsel and advisors to determine what the impact of all the conditions and restrictions will be and what effect and impact each of these conditions and restrictions will have on our 1865 pilots.
Clearly, I have concerns about this list. While on the surface it may appear to many that we prevailed in our ideas about the construction of the list, I will say that placing 517 AAA pilots on top of our Captain list is problematic. Add to this picture a potential change to Age 60 in the very near future (more on that in a bit), a potential third merger and/or industry downturn, and I start to worry.
I hate to be the wet blanket, but from prior experience, I know that this is just the start of a very long process to interpret and enforce the hearing board’s decision, and the pilots of America West pay me to look at and analyze that big picture. We will continue to analyze, interpret, defend and communicate to you as we learn more. Please remember that this merged list cannot be utilized by management until a joint contract is in place.

I have no dog in this fight, but as an outsider looking in, DOH in and of it's self doesn't mean much in a seniority list integration, it's what your DOH brings to the table that matters and the expectations and assumptions that come with it.

Generally speaking, if you have 20 years of service and all your twenty years brings to the table is a reserve 737 f/o position, then there is no way you can justify being senior to a 10 year A320 captain based soley on your DOH.

I think people need to go back and examine what the goals are of ALPA's merger policy and examine how well the arbitrator did in meeting these goals.

1. The merger representatives shall carefully weigh all the equities inherent in their merger situation. In joint session, the merger representatives should attempt to match equities to various methods of integration until a fair and equitable agreement is reached, keeping in mind the following goals, in no particular order:

a. Preserve jobs.

b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.

c. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pay and standard of living.

d. Maintain or improve pre‑merger pilot status.

e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.

Finally, you need to try to get this behind you or it will consume you and leave you a bitter and divided group and it is hard to imagine how that that will do anyone any good going forward..

Apparantly Nicolau and his two neutrals agree with you. I agree with you. Trouble is, the east can't seem to get past your first two paragraphs, you can't get any farther than that with them, by then they are screaming bloody murder in disagreement and hear nothing else. It is all spelled out in the opinion portion of the award. If the east can't accept the award, they darn sure aren't gonna get converted from a bunch of webboard posts. It is what it is though, we'll just see how this pans out.

I have a feeling we will both be playing in our own yards for quite some time, even if we were(hypothetically) all one unit tomorrow.

Last edited:
I flew with a bunch of the J4J guys and they are good bunch. It most suck to have 16 yrs at a company and then all of a sudden have to fly next to me in a RJ.

With all due respect to the east guys, I always thought that this "merger" was more of a buyout. The weaker company will lose in this case. Flipside to that, like others have stated, is having no job. Better to be a gear b!tch to a 10yr HP guy. Hell, plenty of J4J guys became flap boys for spikey hair, ipod listening, backpack wearing 20 something gods gift to aviation.

I'm amazed at the level of professionalism here...especially the name calling.

T8

That's the problem Trainer, this circus we call a profession is going down the tubes! Is this job still a profession?
Look at whats happening in this country! The middle class is eroding, and it seems like its gonna be a two class society in this country!
Back in the 70's CEO's made 16-20 times more then there average worker! Now in this country you see CEO's making 300-400 Times as much money!! See the trend!
So with all thats going on, its hard to remain professional!

And I ask again, is this really a professional job?

Geez, it wasn't so long ago when someone retired from an airline job it was a big deal! Now it just a swift kick in the butt, and a so long see ya later!!!

Last edited:
Well, congrats to the AWA folks on your windfall.

I am exactly where I expected to be on the list, and am not surprised. But you cannot be serious if you feel Mondo didn't get screwed. Continuous active service since 1988 and junior to a 2005 hire from AWA, YGBFSM! The lack of fences (too small and will be revoked upon age 65 which seems to be on the fast track) seriously damages the progression of junior East pilots who had career expectations of massive attrtition. Now the AWA pilots will enjoy that attrtition.

Now, that said, this will be very unfortunate for all LCC employees. Right or wrong (and yes it's wrong but completely understandable) there will be ramifications from the East pilots that will hurt everyone. We gotta realize that the individual pilots from AWA are not at fault here and shouldn't be the target of our anger and frustration. OTOH the West posters here who offer misguided opinions as fact and who seem giddy that the East folks were spanked are fair game for those who still care. Have fun and good luck to us all, we'll need it!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back