• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA/USAir Deal Near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe they want to keep the US Airways name because they have more aircraft. It would cost more money repainting the US Airway birds then repainting the AWA birds.

FurloughedAgain . . said:
I believe the US Airways MEC will sacrifice the furloughees in exchange for a better integration for the active pilots. . .

You can bet the farm on this one!

SWA/FO said:
Maybe they want to keep the US Airways name because they have more aircraft. It would cost more money repainting the US Airway birds then repainting the AWA birds.

So what? you think painting airplanes a dark color to fly in the 115 degree desert is a good idea?

JetMonkey said:
So what? you think painting airplanes a dark color to fly in the 115 degree desert is a good idea?

im sure when the new usairways emerges they will change the paint scheme, similar to united

Cactus73 said:
I think the immediate fight is going to be who gets knocked to the street when GE takes 60 of their aircraft back. If they are taken from both airlines and both airlines are operated separately for some time, then both sides could see significant furloughs. This may happen before any seniority list discussions are held.

This, I believe is the million dollar question for junior pilots at AWA. You would think that most of the "fat cutting" would come from the USair side (hopefully pre merger). They are in Chapter 11 where it is easier to change leases and, from the looks of it, need to cut alot more fat before this would be a go. They are still losing a ton of money while AWA is profitable and currently taking delivery of 20 or so Airbuses (this will probably change).

Boy, I sure hope so.... anything has to be better than that "night camo paint scheme.. YIKK!!!

have you seen some US Airways airplanes lately?

they all need a new paint job.

i vote for PSA2 as the new name. have PS2 in the seatbacks.
young kids would love it. name recognition for those older travellers out west.

US Airways has already announced that they are getting rid of 10 aircraft at the end of summer and eliminating some routes to the Bahamas. Thus, only 50 aircraft to go.

Intergrating to US Air and AWA is going to take time. AWA has a much lower cost than US Air, despite US Air cutting cuts. Plus, AWA pilots get paid the same salary regardless of aircraft. I can't see management giving this up either, thus I would think US Air pilot contract will probably be modified to reflect one pay scale. This will definitely make people mad. US Air pilots have already taken numerous paycuts and now they would be looking at another one.

There are alot of issues to address before you can effectively run these two airlines as one. I am sure its not just the pilot contract that has to be modified. I would imagine all employee groups contracts would be modified, thus bringing US Air costs even lower.

Now has anybody at US Air commuters heard anything about what happens to them? Do they come with the merger, or are they sold to Mesa or somebody? AWA does not have RJ and I do not believe management wants to go down that path. Plus what about Mid-Atlantic? They were being consolidated under US Air mainline, what happens to these jets?

Alot of questions, not alot of answers.

iflyhigh

Latest resources

Back