• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA/USAir Deal Near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think steering AWA clear of ch7/massive cutbacks following 9/11 was no small feat. He inherited quite a few problems from former management and seems to have turned things around. Parker is generally looked upon favorably by analysts. I don't think it would be out of line to say that AWA has one of the better management teams around (the airlines) these days. Definitely not an idiot.

KFYI in Phoenix has been reporting this as a merger between America West and Southwest. The news story actually gets it right, but "snippets" and "teasers" don't.

I imagine that they've been responsible for a few stunned reactions and maybe even a heart attack or two. :rolleyes:

TWA Dude said:
Remember that just because a deal is announced doesn't mean it's a done deal.

Aw...c'mon man. What are ya sayin'? That the world renowned and oft repeated aviation "done deal" has been known to fall through?!?:confused:

Why not US WEST...Better that either of the two by themselves

Or perhaps this would be more appropiate...

Allegheny-Mohwawk

General Lee said:
Most of America has no clue about USAir's finances. But, I don't see an "America West" A330 flying into Paris anytime soon. The USAir name is better known in Europe and the Carribean for example.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

I dunno,"Corporal".... I didn't see you guys change your name when your beloved Delta stole all those Pan Am routes back in 1991

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
...this might go through just as quickly as the United/UAL merger...

FWIW...a buddy described the angst and irritation he felt (as a United 727 FO) when a jumpseating US Air pilot sat on the flightdeck pontificating out loud about moving to the 777 and the chance to fly international (obviously unaware of any fences or other union negotiated merger issues). I'm sure a bunch of junior AWA captains are going to be VERY upset if they merge seniority lists and try to take AWA cockpits. What about recall rights? Will a recalled US Air pilot have a higher number than an AWA pilot currently flying? I'm sure the MECs are going to have a LOT of pain and anger to deal with on both sides.

Good luck to all...

I'm surprised they're going to use the US Airways logo. Not that America West is such a great name but much of America hears US Airways and thinks Bankrupt Airline. And after last winter, cancelled flights. I think it will take more to turn around their image than it would to introduce ours.

...and when people hear "America West" they mostly think of drunk pilots, right? I keed, I keed!

Taking bets

If this happens any bets on how long it will take them to furlough 50% of the AWA pilots? I can't believe it used to be that Captain's remarked about my positive attitude. Since the USAir merger talks have started my attitude has gone in the toilet. Ohh well, good thing my log books up to date.

Latest resources

Back