• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA/ US Airways pilot seniority integration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was my understanding that the merger committees and/or the arbitrator will create a new list and that's it. All this other BS about slotting, fences, recalls, etc. would be handled by the JNC negotiating our new contract using the new list. The role of the arbitrator seems to be limited if this is the case...Someone please correct me, if this is not true...

The precedent of Pan Am / National and CAL / TI as well as Doug saying that he won't accept a list that puts furloughees above active pilots seems to make that issue cut and dry as well.

Last edited:
All:

I don't think anyone who is furloughed should replace anyone who is active.....however......

I don't think that someone who has 17 years of longevity should go behind a new hire either on the total list. I also think that the total attrition for the next few years should go into the equation. A new AWA pilot shouldn't windfall to the A330 in 10 years because of U list retirements while a U pilot languishes on reserve.

It never ceases to amaze me the hatred and vitriol that can be created when discussing seniority.

As I said earlier, better get your ducks in a row because it will be over soon and you will all be playing on the same team. How that plays out in the future has more to do with your career expectations than anything else.

Happy New Year

A350

Hey A350
I agree the future retirements should be taken into account especially since the age 65 thing will surely pass. Then USeast brings no retirements to the table. Be carreful what you wish for.

md80drvr:

Nothing changes with the age 60 rule change.....U still has massive retirements coming that should be factored in. In fact, a case could be made with the rule changing, it makes the career progression even more ominous at AWA since there are a whole lot less retirements there than at U.

BTW, I am only a casually interested observer. I have a U number, but never plan on using it again. However, I have to refrain from using the never word.

Further, I would be more worried about your management being able to execute post merger than I would be the seniority arguement.

A350

I think the America West pilots and the US Air pilots are both a great bunch.
I wish them well and I hope things will work out for both groups. At least they are both alpa and I hope what happend to the TWA folks will not happen during this merger. TWA pilots got really screwed by AA.

Marty

That from the guy that called awa guys drunks and the dregs of the aviation world. LOL

I might have agreed with you except before the merger AWA was taking airplanes, and in fact still is. Captain upgrade was 5 to 6 years and they were growing.

Airways was in bankrupcy for the second time with no more financing alternatives, and they were still shrinking, please don't count the e170 as growth. We all know that MDA was a commuter. No offense to the MDA pilots but that's what it was.
The overlying fact is that no one knows what will happen in arbitration, I think the Airways guys are playing a dangerous game demanding DOH and that recalls be slotted above ANY AWA pilot. I think the arbitrators ruling might surprise them.
I hope they (Both merger comittees) can work this out but I don't think it will happen.

Last edited:
U gets to keep flying, yet only wants to bone AWA pilots at all costs. Retirements, if there was no merger. U would be gone or greatly shrunk again and all those old FO would still be FO's, but no!!!!! I want to go ahead of the AWA pilots because I got screwed, so I have to get them screwed or else I'm not happy. Be glad you still have a job and are able to dream about screwing other pilots and get to collect a $48,000 pension that no AWA pilot will ever see(Oh wait, I forgot about that bonus) and want some first chance at upgrading over AWA pilots who are younger.

Happy Kwanzaa!

These AAA Merger committee guys must be part of the hopefully small batch of radicals over there (we have ours too). Everyone I've meet so far from the east have been great, of course I've haven't discussed integration with any of them. I don't know the names of these merger committee boys but if I ever fly with any of them I'll definitely ask "what were you guys smoking"? :nuts:

Latest resources

Back