AWA/ US Airways pilot seniority integration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BeCareful! said:
Regarding growth, look at what has occured at PSA and with MDA over the past three years: Well over $1 billion invested in these entities, and all of it from U Group's financial maneuvering. It's not the kind of growth that pilots want, I know, but it's growth of the airline nontheless (not a windfall to Johnny O and the boys). And, that growth has taken place on the backs of U labor.

In other words, I think in terms of aricraft aquistions U has "grown" much more over the past three years. Unfortunately, management won big time by making sure those aircraft provided jobs that were low-paying. Either way, it was growth, it was just a different aircraft type being invested in; leave it to U management to figure out how to grow their system and screw the pilots at the same time :) And all the while, doing a great job of hiding the money.

Mesa grew at our expense. What's your point?? Who cares where the money came from?

MCDU said:
Plus, it is beyond me why any pilot stayed at America West a few years ago. Half my class was Amreica West in 1997. They where the lowest payed pilots by far, and those who stayed where the drunks and people the majors did not want.
America West, an airline with a history with Bankruptcys is now suddenly a great airline. I do not think so. Treat the AAA pilots with respect. cheers
Marty

This is quite possibly the most f'd up thing ever said on this board. I've only been at AWA for a little over two years and almost all the guys I have flown with are absolutely first rate awesome guys (and gals). They aren't drunks and they definitely aren't the leftovers that the majors didn't want. People stay at airlines for various reasons. Most don't want to lose their base, seniority, friends, etc...They ride it out and see where it takes them. And yes, some were turned down by the likes of United and Northwest, and Delta. Who ever made the hiring committees at these airlines the ultimate authority on who is a great pilot? I could argue that what makes our pilot group so great is that we are NOT Delta or United.

That being said, I think that it is time we put the seniority arguments behind us. I'm just as guilty as I've responding to posts on this thread and others. You will never change Learloves or BeCareful's positions and you will probably never change mine.

Now that the PID has been set, this is all out of our hands. NO seniority descisions have been made but these two committees have full autonomy to decide the new list and to leave it to an arbitrator if a fair compromise cannot be negotiated with the help of a mediator.

More important to me right now is to see my airline, US Airways, succeed and kick some major a##. We are all together in this (whether we like it or not) and I for one cannot afford for this merger to fail. I both like and need my job. I'm sorry but I don't have a side business that can readily replace my income and quality of life (my fault, I know).

We need to get together and hold managements feet to the fire and deliver what they have promised last May when this was first announced. We need profitabilty and growth so we all have jobs, recalls, and upgrades.

Let's put some time and effort where we can make a difference. The enemy is not us.

rant off.

Last edited:
Cactus73, I agree with your post. You sound like a nice guy. Just wanted to get a feel on how some guys would react. Like the one who said 90% at USair are idiots. By the way, United as well as US Airways Group have not really schrunk, they just gave the flying to someone else. USAir and United fly the same or even more people, then they did prior BK.

Marty

Fly-n-hi said:
Mesa grew at our expense. What's your point?? Who cares where the money came from?

The point is that U group was doing quite well in spite of showing continued losses, and that no matter how many times your camp posts on flightinfo.com that US Airways was on its last legs, it doesn't make it true.

Further, I CARE WHERE THE MONEY CAME FROM! It matters, because growth and aircraft aquisitions are an indicator of an airline's financial health. With your camp running around acting like Doug dipped into petty cash and up and bought US Airways, it seems pertinent to point out that that's hogwash, don't you think? The money came from outside investors, many of whom were already invested in US Airways Group.

In the end, I just want to see the airline succeed. Let's just drop the whole thing and work to see the company do well. None of this is helping, for sure.

Put another way, flyinhigh, if AWA had recently spent over $1billion on RJ's and kept your balance sheet firmly in the red, would it matter then if in a merger scenario the other side was pointing out to you how sick your airline looked in terms of losses posted? I think it would.

Cactus73 said:
This is quite possibly the most f'd up thing ever said on this board. I've only been at AWA for a little over two years and almost all the guys I have flown with are absolutely first rate awesome guys (and gals). They aren't drunks and they definitely aren't the leftovers that the majors didn't want. People stay at airlines for various reasons. Most don't want to lose their base, seniority, friends, etc...They ride it out and see where it takes them. And yes, some were turned down by the likes of United and Northwest, and Delta. Who ever made the hiring committees at these airlines the ultimate authority on who is a great pilot? I could argue that what makes our pilot group so great is that we are NOT Delta or United.

That being said, I think that it is time we put the seniority arguments behind us. I'm just as guilty as I've responding to posts on this thread and others. You will never change Learloves or BeCareful's positions and you will probably never change mine.

Now that the PID has been set, this is all out of our hands. NO seniority descisions have been made but these two committees have full autonomy to decide the new list and to leave it to an arbitrator if a fair compromise cannot be negotiated with the help of a mediator.

More important to me right now is to see my airline, US Airways, succeed and kick some major a##. We are all together in this (whether we like it or not) and I for one cannot afford for this merger to fail. I both like and need my job. I'm sorry but I don't have a side business that can readily replace my income and quality of life (my fault, I know).

We need to get together and hold managements feet to the fire and deliver what they have promised last May when this was first announced. We need profitabilty and growth so we all have jobs, recalls, and upgrades.

Let's put some time and effort where we can make a difference. The enemy is not us.

rant off.

Cactus ...

I don't think it was a rant. but rather an excellent post .

PHXFLYR:cool:

AWA/US Airways pilot seniority integration

MCDU said:
Cactus73, I agree with your post. You sound like a nice guy. Just wanted to get a feel on how some guys would react. Like the one who said 90% at USair are idiots. By the way, United as well as US Airways Group have not really schrunk, they just gave the flying to someone else. USAir and United fly the same or even more people, then they did prior BK.

Marty

Retracted due to my stupidity.

Last edited:
On the surface i'd agree with you. I would expect the USAirways MEC to sacrifice the furloughees in exchange for better integration. They have a history of screwing the junior folks.

This is right on. Finally some true info on the subject.

I am getting tired of reading the rest.
It is up to the arbitrator. It doesn't matter who bought who.

Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I do not work for USAir.

Settle down
I guess u bit the bait.

Marty

Wait a second Marty. All the BS you write on this board about the westies, and you don't even work for US Airways?

Just thought I'd drag this out for all the westies to see just how much of a POS this kid is.

Judge has ruled. No injunction but a speedy trial date within three months.

IMO this is the best we could've anticipated.

Latest resources

Back