• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Average paycheck???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For everyone who doesn't want to believe me, that's fine. Like I said, I work the system and yes, it is pre-tax. About twenty percent (maybe a little more) of our Beech first officers are on TDY (temporary duty for those who may use different terms). This means that there are surplus pilots in their domocile, and they are assigned to a hard line somewhere outside their domocile for an entire bid period. This entitles them to a hotel room for the entire month and per diem 24 hours a day. For a 28 day bid period, that's $813 extra ($1.21/hr per diem). I have been on TDY for the last 5 bids and since I commute anyway, it doesn't mean that I'm away from home any more than usual. I always bid TDY in domociles with high time lines (around 95-100 hours) and I usually average a few hours of cancel pay and 5-10 hours of time and 1/2 for schedule changes. My year-to-date pay as of 7/16 is $15,985. Don't believe me? That's fine, you can keep believing that we are working for free and that we are the cause of all that is wrong with the world. I'm just trying answer the guy's question with some first-hand facts.

kevin_p said:
For everyone who doesn't want to believe me, that's fine. Like I said, I work the system and yes, it is pre-tax. About twenty percent (maybe a little more) of our Beech first officers are on TDY (temporary duty for those who may use different terms). This means that there are surplus pilots in their domocile, and they are assigned to a hard line somewhere outside their domocile for an entire bid period. This entitles them to a hotel room for the entire month and per diem 24 hours a day. For a 28 day bid period, that's $813 extra ($1.21/hr per diem). I have been on TDY for the last 5 bids and since I commute anyway, it doesn't mean that I'm away from home any more than usual. I always bid TDY in domociles with high time lines (around 95-100 hours) and I usually average a few hours of cancel pay and 5-10 hours of time and 1/2 for schedule changes. My year-to-date pay as of 7/16 is $15,985. Don't believe me? That's fine, you can keep believing that we are working for free and that we are the cause of all that is wrong with the world. I'm just trying answer the guy's question with some first-hand facts.

Youre numbers are right I use to do the same...but you are working your ass off on the days you fly and timing out on the 30 hr rule for the week....I use to love to tell crew tracking "sorry guys you timed me out!!...Then I would get a little argument because someone changed a leg in the computer and Id give em well my logbook matches the airplanes maybe you better check with Mx control."

It's a double-edged sword, but the Beech guys can fly 120 hours/month and 34 in 7 so I haven't timed out too much. For July, I'm going to have 116 hours I think. Yes, I'm working my ass off, but I still get at least 12 days off per bid (4 week bid period). If I'm going to be away from home, I may as well be flying as much as possible. Today I have an 11 hour duty day with 7:41 credit. Then I'm off for 5 days.

Swing that big D*ck Kevin P!!! Way to work the system!! Im just playin!! Its good to hear that comin from a 1900 FO. IS Air Midwest any different than MEsa? And where is your base? I know you are TDY alot, but just wondering how the commuting is?

kevin_p said:
It's a double-edged sword, but the Beech guys can fly 120 hours/month and 34 in 7 so I haven't timed out too much. For July, I'm going to have 116 hours I think. Yes, I'm working my ass off, but I still get at least 12 days off per bid (4 week bid period). If I'm going to be away from home, I may as well be flying as much as possible. Today I have an 11 hour duty day with 7:41 credit. Then I'm off for 5 days.

Air Midwest is a little different than Mesa. We have the same contract and same seniority list, but the lifestyle is quite a bit different. We have outstation domociles usually with only 3 crews each. Our domociles at the hubs are purely for reserves. I am technically based in MCI (reserve base), but right now my TDY line is out of Salina, KS. Commuting can really suck, but I live in Dallas, so I just fly up to Wichita, KS and then drive about 1:15 to SLN...that way it is still only a one-leg commute.

average of 650 for the first paycheck and 1000 for the second. first year at express. It sucks but i have only flown 350 hours this year so far. i have a friend that makes closer to 2300 every month but thats flying 90 hrs all 4 day trips. I do all day trips with the occasional 2 day thrown in so most of my per diem is taxed. the trick is to get a second job after you get off reserve. otherwise youll never see home.QOL is good average of 16 days off a month. all depends how you bid.

I make more as an ex-A&P fixing a bus. I do miss aviation though, but I do enjoy riding my harley on weekends.Every weekend. After 3:00 pm during the week.With holidays off.I must be a fool! :) Can any body help me with a bi-anual?

As a 1st year FO at Expressjet I was getting about $1700 a month on reserve and am getting about $1900 a month as a line holder. Most flight attendants I flew with were making more than me.

Luckily I live in an affordable part of the country and split an apartment with 2 other friends. I'm living slightly better than I was as a CFI, but still not much better off than I was as a college student. You really just have to suck it up until you get off first year probation, at which point you get a 50% pay increase at Expressjet up to about $33 an hour. T-minus 2 months and counting for me. At most turboprop operators you'd probably be looking at upgrade after your first year, so either way it's temporary pain for longer-term benefit. Not that $33/hr is anything to write home about.....

Latest resources

Back