Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GUMP_check

Information on this company please. Whats the schedule? Didn't it used to be 7 and 7, now its 8 and 6? Whats the deal? What kinda hotels do they stay in? Upgrade time? Whats a typical week like? Do they do a good job of getting you home? Training? Whats the extra day pay? Overall thought? Thanks

Only current or past employees please post. Thanks

Information on this company please. Whats the schedule? Didn't it used to be 7 and 7, now its 8 and 6? Whats the deal? What kinda hotels do they stay in? Upgrade time? Whats a typical week like? Do they do a good job of getting you home? Training? Whats the extra day pay? Overall thought? Thanks

Only current or past employees please post. Thanks

Ohhhhkay. I'm rotting in an FBO right now, so I guess I'll tackle this. the schedule used to be 7&7. They could travel you on day 8, but they couldn't work you. It was overtime at 1.5 daily rate. Now, we are 7&7, but they can work you on day 8 (and they mostly do) and it is at the standard daily rate. They can travel you(but not work you) on day 9, wich is on double time.

This is supposed to revert to the old schedule by the end of June. Our president has promised this, and I believe him.

We mostly stay in Holiday Inns now. Sometimes Hilton properties, sometimes Marriots. Basically, we expect a shuttle, free internet, and a free breakfast. Personally, I complain if the door opens to the outside, or the bed is poor, or the place just generally sucks. Sometimes when we wind up in the middle of nowhere, we get what we can take, and most of us understand that.

Upgrade time is currently 3 years plus, but I expect that to drop due to a better market for pilots in the not too distant future. Obviously, I'm guessing, and I could be very wrong. I certainly have been in the past.

They try very hard to get us home, but if your Burbank based, and wind up in Boston, things are going to be tough, no matter who you fly for. Also, right now, we don't know which of three days we will get home. As I stated before, I expect this will change.

Like all fractionals, our work weeks are highly variable. We work like dogs during the holiday season, but right now, not so much. Overall, in the past year, I'd say I average one min rest a tour, although sometimes they stack up. I've had three in a row, and then we both told our OCC that was enough. That stuck, also.

Training is okay. Basically, the instructors are excellent, standards are explicit, and checking is fair. However, we get at least one fewer sim session than either most instructors or students would like, so expect them to be jammed.

Overall, I like it here. I have been an FO far longer than I expected, or was led to believe. However, the economy is largely to blame, and others have lost jobs, so I am grateful to have one.

I like who I fly with, and what I do. Only come here if you expect to work hard, and can take not knowing how your day is going to go. This is not an airline. We do it all. I like that, but not everyone does.

Last edited:
Ohhhhkay. I'm rotting in an FBO right now, so I guess I'll tackle this. the schedule used to be 7&7. They could travel you on day 8, but they couldn't work you. It was overtime at 1.5 daily rate. Now, we are 7&7, but they can work you on day 8 (and they mostly do) and it is at the standard daily rate. They can travel you(but not work you) on day 9, wich is on double time.

This is supposed to revert to the old schedule by the end of June. Our president has promised this, and I believe him.

We mostly stay in Holiday Inns now. Sometimes Hilton properties, sometimes Marriots. Basically, we expect a shuttle, free internet, and a free breakfast. Personally, I complain if the door opens to the outside, or the bed is poor, or the place just generally sucks. Sometimes when we wind up in the middle of nowhere, we get what we can take, and most of us understand that.

Upgrade time is currently 3 years plus, but I expect that to drop due to a better market for pilots in the not too distant future. Obviously, I'm guessing, and I could be very wrong. I certainly have been in the past.

They try very hard to get us home, but if your Burbank based, and wind up in Boston, things are going to be tough, no matter who you fly for. Also, right now, we don't know which of three days we will get home. As I stated before, I expect this will change.

Like all fractionals, our work weeks are highly variable. We work like dogs during the holiday season, but right now, not so much. Overall, in the past year, I'd say I average one min rest a tour, although sometimes they stack up. I've had three in a row, and then we both told our OCC that was enough. That stuck, also.

Training is okay. Basically, the instructors are excellent, standards are explicit, and checking is fair. However, we get at least one fewer sim session than either most instructors or students would like, so expect them to be jammed.

Overall, I like it here. I have been an FO far longer than I expected, or was led to believe. However, the economy is largely to blame, and others have lost jobs, so I am grateful to have one.

I like who I fly with, and what I do. Only come here if you expect to work hard, and can take not knowing how your day is going to go. This is not an airline. We do it all. I like that, but not everyone does.

Avantair is still an awesome place to work, in fact when the resume window opens up again tomorrow, I'm going to try to get a buddy that I used to work at Colgan with hired here.

It's my impression that the 8/6 schedule that we are currently working was designed to be a year-long cost cutting measure. It's entirely possible that waco heard something that I didn't and we'll go back to 7/7 as early as June. I'm a real overtime sponge and look forward to day 8 returning to overtime pay. Personally, I'll do whatever it takes to strengthen our bottom line.

I agree with waco when it comes to min rest days. After two or three in a row, I cry "uncle" and our schedule magically lightens up for the next day. Everyone's stamina differs. This is only an issue during peak-travel periods. The non-peak times make this just about the easiest job in the world.

Also agree on the training. Both ground instruction and sim training is top-notch. After the ground stuff, they bust your stones during sim training. Then the checkride is just another day in the sim. I like it that way and I'll bet that most people would prefer it that way too.

Fantastic pilot group here. 'Nuff said.

My six year old daughter has been sitting here waiting for me to insert a smiley-face somewhere in this post, (her choice) so here we go... :puke:

*By the way, our resume window will be open from 10am EDT on 2/23/11 through 5pm on 3/2/11.

*Open gateways: BUR, DFW, CMH, IAH, IND, LAS, MSY, PHX, STL, TUS.

Good luck everyone who applies!

Last edited:
The more guys they can get now, the better off it will be, as 6 months from now there will be lots more pilot jobs available, and yes, capts will be leaving for other jobs in the near future.

I would have liked to have flown for Avantair (which is why I applied), and I think it would be a great job, if you are the right fit for that type of operation.

cliff
AMS

I think it would be a great job, if you are the right fit for that type of operation.

cliff
AMS

Thanks for keeping it in perspective, Cliff. Perfectly stated. While Frac flying seems to have been custom designed for me, it's certainly not for everyone.

Great info thank you. I was a little confused by this line though. Can you elaborate?

He ment that you don't know if you are going to go home on day 7, 8, or 9. Also just as an FYI if you go home on day 8 or 9 you then only have 6 or 5 days off till it starts over....

Plain-english translation:

We're on an 8/6 schedule for at least the near future.

- As an F/O, (and rarely Captains, too) there's a decent chance you'll get home on day 7, but don't count on it.

- As either Captain or F/O, you'll most likely get home on day 8. (Straight pay)

- There's also a chance you'll get home on day 9 (at double pay).

Anyone who applies needs to be aware of the new schedule.

Latest resources

Back