• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, Got the thanks but no thanks letter.

That sucks. We are hiring something like six a month, and I know they are being very, very picky. Because they can be. I don't know what they are looking for, (they don't tell us) but it might not necessarily be endless experience. What we do is not for everybody, and I think they try to find people who they believe will like what we do.

Things are going to change. Southwest is supposed to hire a ton this year. Everybody is ramping up. Meanwhile, the schools in Florida are only teaching foreign students, because the banks won't loan young fools north of a hundred grand anymore for a job that starts way below what a bus driver makes. Age 65 hits in the middle of next year, and if Congress has its way, pilots will need 1500 hours to get on with the commuters. The NTSB is hot to change rest rules, which will require even more pilots. And the military is hanging on to their pilots, because they are going to lose money to train with.

Is there going to be a pilot shortage? This has been predicted so many times that it has become a joke, and I will not predict that. But I do think it will soon be easier to get a job.

I hope you land a spot at a good place. I like it here, but obviously there are better jobs out there. Best of luck.

I guess your Citation X experience far exceeded what they were looking for...

HAHA, Yeah who would have thought that.

That sucks. We are hiring something like six a month, and I know they are being very, very picky. Because they can be. I don't know what they are looking for, (they don't tell us) but it might not necessarily be endless experience. What we do is not for everybody, and I think they try to find people who they believe will like what we do.

Things are going to change. Southwest is supposed to hire a ton this year. Everybody is ramping up. Meanwhile, the schools in Florida are only teaching foreign students, because the banks won't loan young fools north of a hundred grand anymore for a job that starts way below what a bus driver makes. Age 65 hits in the middle of next year, and if Congress has its way, pilots will need 1500 hours to get on with the commuters. The NTSB is hot to change rest rules, which will require even more pilots. And the military is hanging on to their pilots, because they are going to lose money to train with.

Is there going to be a pilot shortage? This has been predicted so many times that it has become a joke, and I will not predict that. But I do think it will soon be easier to get a job.

I hope you land a spot at a good place. I like it here, but obviously there are better jobs out there. Best of luck.

Some good thoughts, funny thing is I did the fractional thing for a while and I do like it; but I do have an offer and start ground school on the 21st. I am quite excited especially cause I have not flown in over 2 years. Still not quite sure why I stuck it out.

HAHA, Yeah who would have thought that.

Some good thoughts, funny thing is I did the fractional thing for a while and I do like it; but I do have an offer and start ground school on the 21st. I am quite excited especially cause I have not flown in over 2 years. Still not quite sure why I stuck it out.

:beer: Good on you!

Avantair is still an awesome place to work

Wrong. Southwest is an awesome place to work. Avantair is a barely tolerable holding pattern until you find someplace better. (8 & 6? With maybe getting home on day 9 only to turn around and do it again 5 days later? Sheesh.)

With 401(k) match and profit sharing, the laziest 2nd year FO on SWA's list earns more than a maxed out Avantair captain. With 18 days off a month and nothing longer than a 4 day trip.

Sorry for the reality check.

Wrong. Southwest is an awesome place to work. Avantair is a barely tolerable holding pattern until you find someplace better. (8 & 6? With maybe getting home on day 9 only to turn around and do it again 5 days later? Sheesh.)

A consistant, regular schedule is important to those of us with young families. Ask any family therapist; consistancy is better for the emotional development of our children. On another personal level, bidding month after month for a schedule is nothing short of ridiculous. I'd like to be able to plan more than two weeks out. 8 & 6? Big deal. Afraid of a little hard work?

With 401(k) match and profit sharing, the laziest 2nd year FO on SWA's list earns more than a maxed out Avantair captain. With 18 days off a month and nothing longer than a 4 day trip.

Enjoy it while it's working. Southwest's low-balling of fares has driven the industry into a shadow of what it used to be. Combine that with kids flying regional jets for welfare wages, and our "respectable professsion" has sunk to a low that we may never be able to recover from. Forget about cutting what few amenities are left, raise the fares to where they need to be.

Rising fuel prices combined with the end of your fuel hedging are going to provide YOU with one hell of a reality check in the not-too-distant future, my friend. As we all know, aviation is one motherf-er of a cycle. Your next downturn might not be too pleasant.

No offense to my friends at Southwest. They know that I have no intention of returning to the 121 lifestyle. It's just my opinion, anyway.

Last edited:
SWA ain't perfect - especially for newbies

Plus, who wants an 18 year upgrade? Newbies at SWA will make some great coin (no doubt about that) but they will be sitting in that right seat for more than a decade and a half and they will hit the same destinations over and over and over (thankfully AirTran will add some new destinations to the mix). Some will jump at the opportunity but it isn't for everyone...

From what I hear, Avantair is unique but it probably isn't for everyone either. Great/fun airplane to fly, tremendous variation in destinations (see the entire country - on one tour!) and reasonable upgrade. I also hear they work pretty hard when on the road (i.e., 4-6 legs per day). Pay could certainly be better. Will be interesting to see if they eventually order a new Piaggio jet in a few years if one is produced. If you want variety and a fun airplane to fly - Avantair might work for you. At least, that's what I hear...

Last edited:
I work so that I can afford to do the things I like to do on my time off. Anything that pays me more and has me working less, gets my vote every time. Ego may drive some of you guys but if I had to decide between being a left seater at Avantair or right seater at SWA for the next 18 years, it'd be an easy decision.

Hell, if I was 5 years younger or 500 numbers junior, I'd be looking to leave NetJets to head over there.

I work so that I can afford to do the things I like to do on my time off. Anything that pays me more and has me working less, gets my vote every time. Ego may drive some of you guys but if I had to decide between being a left seater at Avantair or right seater at SWA for the next 18 years, it'd be an easy decision.

Hell, if I was 5 years younger or 500 numbers junior, I'd be looking to leave NetJets to head over there.

I don't disagree with your position. It's just too bad when people get jaded and lose their passion for flying (I am not there - YET). I guess you could go to SWA, earn some decent money, buy a Piper Cub and fly it on the side if you wanted to continue to have fun flying...

Latest resources

Back