• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Billy Mays - RIP

See his Avantair TV segment/pitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6UmB_K4is

The odd thing is that he was onboard that USAirways 737-300 that blew out a tire yesterday at Tampa. Evidently, he claimed in a news interview after the flight that something had hit his head (perhaps a bag fell out of the overhead bins) during the hard or eratic landing. The early speculation is that maybe this potential trauma had something to do with his death at age 50 - again, pure speculation and it may not be true. Perhaps he should have been flying on Avantair instead of USAirways yesterday from Philly... Who knows.

Again, RIP Billy. I really enjoyed your infomercials and commercials.

Very, very sad and unfortunate. But in the spirit of the "fractional" board of flightinfo.com I really hope this does not turn into a "pro-union"/"anti-union" debate. But somehow, somebody always turns it into one.

Fly safe. and my sincere condolences to the family.

There is no way in the world to turn this into pro-union / anti-union. This is clearly pro-airline / anti-airline. I wish I knew why he was flying USAir instead of his fractional share. If you go over to the "majors" section of flightinfo you will see guys defending hard landings that knock open the overhead bins as "we all have 'em".

If you're a frac owner I say use your share. As a frac pilot I fly airlines so you don't have to.

I did not realize that if I flew for a fractional I would never make a bad landing. Man that would be great.

Jet

I did not realize that if I flew for a fractional I would never make a bad landing. Man that would be great. Jet

You probably will make your share of hard landings just less crap over your head to fall on you.

Very, very sad and unfortunate. But in the spirit of the "fractional" board of flightinfo.com I really hope this does not turn into a "pro-union"/"anti-union" debate. But somehow, somebody always turns it into one.

Not sure how this would devolve into a pro/anti union debate... In any case, just saying that I enjoyed his work and I found his Avantair spot amusing - he seemed like a very likeable guy and he was probably fun to fly for. Last week was a tough week.

Billy Mays - RIP

See his Avantair TV segment/pitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6UmB_K4is

The odd thing is that he was onboard that USAirways 737-300 that blew out a tire yesterday at Tampa. Evidently, he claimed in a news interview after the flight that something had hit his head (perhaps a bag fell out of the overhead bins) during the hard or eratic landing. The early speculation is that maybe this potential trauma had something to do with his death at age 50 - again, pure speculation and it may not be true. Perhaps he should have been flying on Avantair instead of USAirways yesterday from Philly... Who knows.

Again, RIP Billy. I really enjoyed your infomercials and commercials.

Cool but they refer a couple of times to the "private jet". That thing has props on it.

NJAowner,
With all due respect.... HUH!!! Over the years most of your posts are well thought out and insightful. This one, not so much.

Anyway, RIP Billy Mays, I loved his ESPN commericals, those are funny stuff.

Glasspilot, How can a airline pilot defend a landing so hard that they knock luggage out of the overhead bins?? I airline A LOT as all of us do, and have never been on a flight that they knock the luggage out of the overhead bins. One United pilot just about put us into the bay, during a winter storm one year, but the luggage stayed in the overheads.

Yeah, I don't know how you can defend that hard of a landing. Here is a post from the Majors section of flightinfo under the thread "Did USAir hard landing play a factor?" referring to Billy Mays death:

Way to throw stones guys. I guess we've got a bunch of Charles Elwood Yeager reincarnations on this board...

Everyone gets a landing wrong once in a while.

News is reporting early examination shows no head trauma. Sorry I don't have a link, just the scroll on Fox.

Latest resources

Back