Avantair lost a good pitchman today...

johnsonrod

Total Time
8000+
Billy Mays - RIP

See his Avantair TV segment/pitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6UmB_K4is

The odd thing is that he was onboard that USAirways 737-300 that blew out a tire yesterday at Tampa. Evidently, he claimed in a news interview after the flight that something had hit his head (perhaps a bag fell out of the overhead bins) during the hard or eratic landing. The early speculation is that maybe this potential trauma had something to do with his death at age 50 - again, pure speculation and it may not be true. Perhaps he should have been flying on Avantair instead of USAirways yesterday from Philly... Who knows.

Again, RIP Billy. I really enjoyed your infomercials and commercials.

NJAowner

Total Time
2000+
Very, very sad and unfortunate. But in the spirit of the "fractional" board of flightinfo.com I really hope this does not turn into a "pro-union"/"anti-union" debate. But somehow, somebody always turns it into one.

Fly safe. and my sincere condolences to the family.

glasspilot

Total Time
9K'ish
There is no way in the world to turn this into pro-union / anti-union. This is clearly pro-airline / anti-airline. I wish I knew why he was flying USAir instead of his fractional share. If you go over to the "majors" section of flightinfo you will see guys defending hard landings that knock open the overhead bins as "we all have 'em".

If you're a frac owner I say use your share. As a frac pilot I fly airlines so you don't have to.

Sky Jet

Total Time
19000+
I did not realize that if I flew for a fractional I would never make a bad landing. Man that would be great.

Jet

Nolife

Tired Member
Total Time
4000+
I did not realize that if I flew for a fractional I would never make a bad landing. Man that would be great. Jet
You probably will make your share of hard landings just less crap over your head to fall on you.

johnsonrod

Total Time
8000+
Very, very sad and unfortunate. But in the spirit of the "fractional" board of flightinfo.com I really hope this does not turn into a "pro-union"/"anti-union" debate. But somehow, somebody always turns it into one.

Not sure how this would devolve into a pro/anti union debate... In any case, just saying that I enjoyed his work and I found his Avantair spot amusing - he seemed like a very likeable guy and he was probably fun to fly for. Last week was a tough week.

Sparse

Total Time
+++++
Billy Mays - RIP

See his Avantair TV segment/pitch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6UmB_K4is

The odd thing is that he was onboard that USAirways 737-300 that blew out a tire yesterday at Tampa. Evidently, he claimed in a news interview after the flight that something had hit his head (perhaps a bag fell out of the overhead bins) during the hard or eratic landing. The early speculation is that maybe this potential trauma had something to do with his death at age 50 - again, pure speculation and it may not be true. Perhaps he should have been flying on Avantair instead of USAirways yesterday from Philly... Who knows.

Again, RIP Billy. I really enjoyed your infomercials and commercials.
Cool but they refer a couple of times to the "private jet". That thing has props on it.

RNObased

Total Time

NJAowner,
With all due respect.... HUH!!! Over the years most of your posts are well thought out and insightful. This one, not so much.

Anyway, RIP Billy Mays, I loved his ESPN commericals, those are funny stuff.

Glasspilot, How can a airline pilot defend a landing so hard that they knock luggage out of the overhead bins?? I airline A LOT as all of us do, and have never been on a flight that they knock the luggage out of the overhead bins. One United pilot just about put us into the bay, during a winter storm one year, but the luggage stayed in the overheads.

glasspilot

Total Time
9K'ish
Yeah, I don't know how you can defend that hard of a landing. Here is a post from the Majors section of flightinfo under the thread "Did USAir hard landing play a factor?" referring to Billy Mays death:

Way to throw stones guys. I guess we've got a bunch of Charles Elwood Yeager reincarnations on this board...

Everyone gets a landing wrong once in a while.

Hogprint

If you aint Cav...
Total Time
News is reporting early examination shows no head trauma. Sorry I don't have a link, just the scroll on Fox.

hyflyin

Total Time
Whoa
Sounds like he had "Mighty-Putty" in his veins>
WHAT, WE CAN'T HEAR YOU. DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT , MIGHTY PUTTY?

On a softer note, nice areola view, I mean aerial view. Oh forget it......good shot from above.

RIP, Billy Mays!!

Crobar

Total Time
Sorry to hear anyone go but I am so sick of hearing that fkr scream on my TV, scratch met his match, be gone

golfkilo

Total Time
WHAT, WE CAN'T HEAR YOU. DID SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT , MIGHTY PUTTY?

On a softer note, nice areola view, I mean aerial view. Oh forget it......good shot from above.

RIP, Billy Mays!!
The latest I've heard was that he had undiagnosed heart disease.

BeenThereDoneIt

Banned
Total Time
GLASS: Yeah, I don't know how you can defend that hard of a landing.

ME: The same way we defend running a Piaggio off the rumway in SLC with Avantair customers on board.

glasspilot

Total Time
9K'ish
Oh burn, snap. Good one! I have to admit you're pretty good with half truths and spinning dirt. Way to be.

A guy dies and you're still trying to pull the conversation back to how disgruntled you are with Avantair. Let it go. It's behind you. You're whole life is in front of you.

myrealnameis

Total Time
noneya

ME: The same way we defend running a Piaggio off the rumway in SLC with Avantair customers on board.
Mr. kyle brant would you just go away, you should be posting in the flight instruction side of this site anyway. We already know your a ****************************** bag, that much has been established. Good luck in your career.

mainiac

Total Time

KB, get over yourself! Guess your new world isn't making you happy enough, what a bummer.

Now back to day 1 of my 23 day vacation.....

"rumway" in sight, with a slice of lime!

BeenThereDoneIt

Banned
Total Time
LOL.....seems funny that an Avantair captain who lost control of his aircraft "on landing" and left the runway, damaging the aircraft, with PAX on board.....wouldn't be so critical of airline guys defending "hard landings." But hey, that's just my opinion. Peace.