Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

motch

Since CAL Management has been kind enough to compare us to you~
Could you please answer a few questions.

1) Do you separate BES's on all types of aircraft/bases?
At CAL, a pilot trained and typed on the 757/767 flies the following=
757-200, 757-300, 767-200, 767-400. On top of this, he flies both International and Domestic trips.
What does Delta do?

2) When crewing International trips, do you do it with 1 Captain and 2 FO's on a flight requiring 3 crewmembers? And where do you draw the line for 3 required crewmembers?
At CAL, a trip with 7:30 going over and 8:30 coming back would have a DEADHEADING pilot going over, and he would be working coming back. Oh, and Business First crewrest/deadhead seat is not guaranteed

3) On triple 7 flights over 12 hours, how do you crew them? 2 Captains and 2 FO's? or 1 Captain and 3 FO's?
Also, do you require the crew to come in the day prior for rest?

4) On you 737 flying, what is the min days off, max days off and average days off for line holders?
And.. If/When you require a 3rd pilot, do you add a FO or do you add a full deadhead crew? Remember talking to a Delta crew somewhere and thought they said that on some of the Latin/Crab flights that were over 8 hours, they deadheaded a Captain/FO to work the flight back.

5) on Average, how many crossing do the International crews do a month, and what is their credit hours for that month. Again, was told that Delta crews average 4-5 crossing a month with over 75 hours credit.

6) Do you do training on days off? At CAL, a lineholder who would have 14 days off will lose 2 days if he had to do his sim ride, or one day for groundschool...

7) How is vacation handled concerning PBS?

8) Besides the HUGH hole concerning the 70-76 seaters.. what are the problems in your contract?

Thanks in advance
Motch
FUPM~DARMA~Shut it Down

Since CAL Management has been kind enough to compare us to you~
Could you please answer a few questions.

1) Do you separate BES's on all types of aircraft/bases?
At CAL, a pilot trained and typed on the 757/767 flies the following=
757-200, 757-300, 767-200, 767-400. On top of this, he flies both International and Domestic trips.
What does Delta do?

There are three separate categories: 767 domestic, 767ER international and, 767-400. Domestic 767 stays in North and Central America. 7ER flies EVERYWHERE. Both categories fly the 757-200, 200ER, 300, 767-300, 300ER. The 767-400 is a separate category all by itself.

2) When crewing International trips, do you do it with 1 Captain and 2 FO's on a flight requiring 3 crewmembers? And where do you draw the line for 3 required crewmembers?

As long as at least ONE leg is over eight hours the trip is crewed with one CA and two FOs for BOTH legs. Business rest seat is guaranteed.

3) On triple 7 flights over 12 hours, how do you crew them? 2 Captains and 2 FO's? or 1 Captain and 3 FO's?

2 CA's and 2 FO's for all flights over 12 hours even on the 767.

Also, do you require the crew to come in the day prior for rest?

No

4) On you 737 flying, what is the min days off, max days off and average days off for line holders?
And.. If/When you require a 3rd pilot, do you add a FO or do you add a full deadhead crew? Remember talking to a Delta crew somewhere and thought they said that on some of the Latin/Crab flights that were over 8 hours, they deadheaded a Captain/FO to work the flight back.

I don't fly the 737 or -88 so I don't know how their lines are. I assume it is like the domestic 767 lines with about 16-17 days off. ALV right now is ranging between 72-82 hours depending on the month.

5) on Average, how many crossing do the International crews do a month, and what is their credit hours for that month. Again, was told that Delta crews average 4-5 crossing a month with over 75 hours credit.

That so depends on how senior you are. If you have nothing but DUB all month expect to do five or six. If you have TLV, then maybe only three. Our 767 does a lot of long legs. Before they added a butt-load of domestic flying to the NYC category last November I was flying four to five trips of either FRA, TXL, AMS, BRU, ZHR, MXP, etc.

6) Do you do training on days off? At CAL, a lineholder who would have 14 days off will lose 2 days if he had to do his sim ride, or one day for groundschool...

Your line is built with training as a part of it. IOW, training is considered a trip.

7) How is vacation handled concerning PBS?

No different than anywhere else I suppose. If you have a week of vacation then PBS blocks that week off. Then, it uses the credit time to build your line from there.

I have two weeks of vacation next month but, I am on reserve. So, I requested as many days off around it as possible. I ended up with the first twenty days off and the last ten on reserve which is what I wanted.

8) Besides the HUGH hole concerning the 70-76 seaters.. what are the problems in your contract?

Section 23k.

I believe that there is a copy of the PWA on another forum. The one that posts pay scales.

23K---bad
70-76 seat flying---not so hot
vacation-lost a week in 1113C
sick time---not what it used to be
reserve---seniority is for the most part not accounted for. Good if junior not so good if senior.
Cannot pick up trip 24 hrs out on reserve
We sign in for trips, we not not notify like you do.

I think that PLUG has or will have a copy of the PWA shortly! :D

DL INTL reserve is not good. (according to my friends on it) For the INTL (or ER guys) pilots, there are 6 short calls per month, but they are 24 hours long, so DL can say you will start at noon one day, until noon the next. (so six of those can equal 12 days away if commuting) The Domestic pilots also have 6 short calls, but they have 12 hours, not 24. The funny thing is, most of the ER or INTL trips are now domestic only trips, yet DALPA still allows the company to give those guys 24 hour on call periods. It should be like this: if 50% of the trips in the category are INTL only trips, then 50% of the reserves must be on 24 hour call outs, and then allow the other 50% to have 12 hour leashes. But hey, Dalpa let them have it any way they wanted it. (although it used to be 8 of those a month, hence newhires going to the 767 in NYC because nobody else wanted it) Thank gawd I don't have to do that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Thanks guys..
I've always thought that the Delta CBA (PWA!) was ten times better than what we have here at CAL.
It's obvious now, I (and others) only heard the positives and not the negatives.

It does seem that under your PWA, CAL would require two new BES's (a 767-400 BES and a Domestic/International 756 BES) on top of what we have now
Also, it would require more Captains on the Triple 7 and on the 767-400, though.. not sure how ofter we fly that over 12 hours. Not to mention more FO's for the international flying.

Either way, the added pilots would negate the loss of pilots on the 737's IF the company replaced them with 70-76 seat RJ's flown by Regional Carrier pilots.

I'm still impressed that at Delta, there have been no furloughs?!

Capt C-
You mentioned 5 or 6 Dublins... at CAL, that would be 6 Dublins in one month since they are worth 14:10 each and 5 would be below line value.
6 DUB would be 85: 00 for the month, 12 (or 13) days off, no IRO.
If you got 5 DUB, you could expect something as an IRO working only on the way back, an OSL (Oslo) or UK trip. They could even give you a domestic 2 day.

What would happen at Delta?

Thanks
motch

FUPM~DARMA~Shut it Down

Either way, the added pilots would negate the loss of pilots on the 737's IF the company replaced them with 70-76 seat RJ's flown by Regional Carrier pilots.

I'm still impressed that at Delta, there have been no furloughs?!

Are you kidding me? The few added pilots will not even come close to offsetting the loss of jobs if you give up scope.

Yes, I am very impressed also that we have not furloughed. And I think we are over the hump now. I don't see furloughs happening. Unless we give up more scope.

Have you done a pee test lately?!? You are junior to me so at least you'll get thrown out on the street before me if this mentality adds up to 51%!

Latest resources

Back