• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Attn: All Airline Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm scared of the regionals. I've heard too many horror stories. I'd prefer to get into cargo ASAP but building time at less than 50 hours a month won't get me there anytime soon. Am I correct in assuming that you must have the 135 IFR mins for cargo? I'm probably already hirable at a regional like Pinnacle or similar and that fact kind of haunts me. It kinda of blows my mind that folks get hired on at regionals carrying passengers with such low time but for good cargo gigs carrying boxes you must meet strict regulatory minimums. Another thing regarding regionals is the seniority system. Makes people want to get in ASAP and they're willing to buy their way and you hear captains praising thier decision to do so on flight info. Makes us fresh meat guys scratch our head. One thing I defintely have figured out is to stay out of that 100k debt trap......especially if you want to be an "Airline Pilot."

F the regionals. I for one am not a scumsucking low timer. I'll fly rubber dogshat outta Delhi before I hit a regional. Other things sound more exciting to me anyhow. There are other opportunities out there if we as a whole would just wait it out and get our time up. I can make almost 10K more a year if I wait until my 135 mins instead of jumping to the regional ship. Why wouldn't you? Oh yeah, SJS...

Don't listen to all the naysayers out there. I have a friend who just left LAB and highly recommends it for low timers with a good attitude. You sure would have some great stories for the grandkids! I sorta wish I had not found such a cush job right off the bat, otherwise I would have done it too.

From another thread:

• L.A.B. FLYING SERVICE, 1873 Shell Simmons Dr., Suite 112, Juneau, AK 99801
  • Tel: 907-789-9160
  • Fax: 907-790-2165
  • PA32/28 VFR 135 pilots needed immediately.
  • $1500/month but housing included for free.
  • Transportation to/from work provided for free.
  • All aircraft EFIS w/GPS/WAAS.
  • Great opportunity for low time pilots
  • Must provide own transpo to Juneau, AK
  • Ground school starts April 20
  • Minimums: 700tt, 100x-c, 25 night x-c.
  • Misc: must be motivated; must be able to lift 60# and want to fly a lot. Only call if you are serious.

Geronimo4497 said:
Misc: must be motivated; must be able to lift 60#

Lift 60 lbs? That's one heavy flight bag...what, do they make you keep Jepps for the whole world in that thing?

Let's see, back to the thread...

Listen up Pilotyp:
I know Mgmt's salaries are miniscule in the grand scheme of things, but for me it is a question of leadership and principle. What if everyone said "my small piece doesn't matter"? Why would I care if I burned a little extra gas, took home a few Cokes, trashed a few parts that could have been saved, made unnecessary copies, didn't re-use paperclips, gave myself and my buddies a little extra bonus here and there. Why should anyone care?

It matters because it's a team effort. It's integrity and leadership that counts. Management, by NOT imposing cuts on themselves that equal or exceed those they are asking others to swallow, produce nothing but hatred and ill-will. I don't care if they can "go somewhere else" with their fantastically portable skills. If they want their airlines to succeed so much, then show it.

Get it now? WTF is wrong with people these days?

FN FAL said:
I like the job. FedEx does a great job with their feeders and for the moment, I can't see doing anything else.

However, it is funny, some of the comments I get from the fresh meat...(non-feeder 200-1000 hour guys).

Not picking on the new guys, but as long as there are hoards of brainwashed cult members feeding the bottom of this pyramid...the guys in the middle will be hosed.

What is it you always say? I can dig it!

After spending 16 or so years in this biz, for me it is about quality of life. I get that at the feeders. And I make enough to buy the more expensive ramen bowls, as opposed to that crappy Top Ramen.

At a regional, I would not have a good QOL and wouldn't make enough to even buy that crappy Top Ramen unless the store had it on sale.

I still look to see what is out there and one day I will probably leave for something else (in fact I am working on something right now, but don't have high hopes), but right now I am content.

Some interesting points, along with a fair amount of self-aggrandizing chest thumping by some of you who think all regional airline pilots are afflicted with SJS. (You're forgiven, I've never made a self serving post.:rolleyes: )

The stand up for our rights approach advocated by the original poster will never realistically work for many reasons. Here's one: Even if we all woke up tomorrow with a backbone, none of us would take actions that could ultimately hurt all of our QOL, and potentially put 20% of us on the street.

So, what to do? You have to approach your career with an individual focus. In other words, YOU do the right thing every day. Don't go to work for a scumbag operator. Don't compromise your personal integrity for anybody. Not the person sitting next to you not the customer, and most certainly not the person who employs you.

Here's the critical part of the equation: view yourself as a professional aviator. Your ability to safely and effectively operate an airplane for money should be at the center of your psyche. It's great to have career goals, but don't let your desire to do______ prevent you from doing a job that allows you to put food on the table with stick and rudder. Gather skills and abilities that make you furlough/recession proof. Keep your CFI current if you can. All your experience in the right seat of a 50-seat jet? Get out there and befriend some freight dog outfit. Take a leave of absence if required, but if you don't have the skills to fly by yourself at odd hours through all kinds of cruddy weather, your simply not a well-rounded pilot.

Doesn't matter how big an airplane you fly or who you fly for. (Right now there are some UPS FO's who have no idea what they're going to do to earn money during the contract negotiations furlough.) We pilots have a plan B for what can go wrong in the airplane. Sometimes even plan C and D.) Yet not too many of us approach our careers from a viewpoint of "what-will-I-do-if-I-lose-my-job-tomorrow?"

Developing extra skills and a network of friends in all areas of aviation will not only fundamentally alter your perspective and job security, it will give you the tactical high ground to tell an insane boss to take a hike. Did your spineless peers just vote for pay concessions? So long suckers.

One more piece of advice, get a sugar mama.;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back