• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas going Teamsters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA is hands down the best pilot union around... If you happen to be in the top third of Delta or United.

Otherwise you get what turns out to be a really expensive magazine subscription.

Airline management, in general, HATES Unions. But they love the Teamsters. Hoffa Junior is a pussie and management lacky and backs union-busting management tactics.

tj

I think a lot of what is happening is that ALPA has gotten back on the ACMI is the enemy theme and have cut all expenditures and representation for Atlas. Considering that Prater has been unable to "taking it back" from airline management, he has decided to take it from within. Especially with US Air leaving ALPA for their own in house union. Rumors are abound with Continental pushing to leave also.

There is a difference between supporting an ALPA council and just representing them. We are barely getting the latter.

ALPA only just recently put Atlas Air on the ALPA letter head with all the other ALPA councils. Only after a push for teamsters and someone pointing it out in the normal course of rhetoric.

Even more salt into the wounds is the recent top priority of the NWA - Delta merger when Atlas - Polar has been trying to merge for the last almost three years. Both with contracts overdue by years. Of course that is due to ALPA supporting Polar (170 guys) vs Atlas (700 guys) to log jamb the merger process.

FWIW, we've gotten pretty good support at Astar from National. Perfect? Nah. But not worth leaving over.

FWIW, we've gotten pretty good support at Astar from National. Perfect? Nah. But not worth leaving over.

Heavy, The 9 year SO may quibble with you on that point. What they managed to do to our scope vis-a-vis Ross Aviation turned a career into just a job at Astar.

I see that there is a push to go Teamsters at Atlas now.

Also they are still doing that preferential hiring for guys from ATA and Kittyhawk.

http://atlasforteamsters.com

Why wouldn't a company prefer to hire pilots that WANT to work there instead of those that are just applying because they are out of work? I'm not being cruel just realistic.

The preferential hiring was a union to management coordination thing to get union brothers hired. Kind of what unionism is all about I thought. Helping your fellow union brother/sister.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any of that except at the Atlas council. Everywhere else, it seems union councils don't make any effort for other councils memberships when hard times hit. Kind of describes the overall problem in our industry. Too much "I've got mine, pull the ladder up!"

As to the USAPA references. You are probably talking about the videos. I image the same issues NMB, Voting, internal ALPA issues, and RLA are almost exactly the same for the Atlas to Teamsters move as it was for the US Air to USAPA move. Probably they just didn't want to spend time duplicating the same work answering the same questions and snagged USAPA's stuff.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back