Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas Air FIRES 24 Crewmembers; possible Atlas AND Polar Strike!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, so we all know about the "Fired 24" Polar pilots. The rumor is Atlas/Polar will be announcing 14 more Polar Firings this week, and as many as 58 by the time they are done.

Atlas and Polar are both ALPA. There is a rumor floating around that the Atlas MEC will be authorizing a "Sympathy Strike" in the event Polar goes on strike September 16th. The details are still sketchy, but ALPA legal will probably wait until the last moment to announce the Atlas strike, due to the fact that it would be a last ditch effort to get Atlas management to the table. They also don't want to give the company time to begin hiring a scab workforce. So far, since the beginning of the 30-day cooling off period, Atlas has refused to come to the bargaining table as required by the NMB for Super-Mediation.

This would shut down the largest 747 Freight company in the world, overnight.

This is a good turn of events, and it is good to see the Atlas pilots standing side by side with their Polar brothers and sisters to put an end to the insanity in this industry.

Last edited:
I always dreamed of commanding a 747, maybe I'll get my chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
furloughfodder said:
Ok, so we all know about the "Fired 24". The rumor is Atlas will be announcing 14 more Firings this week, and as many as 58 by the time they are done.

Atlas and Polar are both ALPA. There is a rumor floating around that the Atlas MEC will be authorizing a "Sympathy Strike" in the event Polar goes on strike September 16th. The details are still sketchy, but ALPA legal will probably wait until the last moment to announce the Atlas strike, due to the fact that it would be a last ditch effort to get Atlas management to the table. They also don't want to give the company time to begin hiring a scab workforce. So far, since the beginning of the 30-day cooling off period, Atlas has refused to come to the bargaining table as required by the NMB for Super-Mediation.

This would shut down the largest 747 Freight company in the world, overnight.

This is a good turn of events, and it is good to see the Atlas pilots standing side by side with their Polar brothers and sisters to put an end to the insanity in this industry.

Man, I love this business!!!!!! I should have gone to Law School and bought a Cirrus...

2LT said:
410-

I understand you're attempting to be sarcastic, however, don't even joke about what you're suggesting.

The guy's obviously a troll. Let him crawl back under his bridge.

I am out of the loop but why did they get fired?

410 dude, if i were you i would stay away from being a scab and i wouldnt even joke about it. Could be scarred for life. I always wanted to fly 747s also but i would not step on anyone while doing so.

peace

The only explaination Management gave as to why they were FIRED and not Furloughed, was: "We are firing them because we can!"

furloughfodder said:
The only explaination Management gave as to why they were FIRED and not Furloughed, was: "We are firing them because we can!"

Can someone provide a bit more detail. So, 24 Atlas probationary pilots were fired - is that correct? Is that on top of the Polar pilots who were let go? Does that imply that any newhires won't be going to class any time soon or that the flying will be reduced in the near term?

Good luck to everyone involved!

Latest resources

Back