• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATI, Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of pilots dont understand that most PFE's dont have any desire to be in the right seat. Most of them are not pilots but I've seen a few that can fly airplanes incredibly well.

DC8-PFE said:
Potential FNG's worried about international trips? That is quite a laugh. You got to do your turn in the barrel in Toledo. I've sat behind some of you new guys fresh from the commuters and elsewhere on your first overwater crossing. It's a bit scary. I've beenwith one you new guys who've rarely crossed one or two time zones on his first trip to africa. Absolutely amazed that the captain is trying to gt the exchange rate for dollars to doobers down as low as he can, while waving fistfulls of money at the ground handler, and I'm bribing the fuel truck driver with a case of coke, so that he can find our fueling authorization. It's a different world. The aircraft are as well equipped as an 8 can be. But remember we are dragging this thing screaming into the 21st century. Only a basic autopilot. No fancy bells and whistles. Just the engineer politely asking you "What in the F***k are you doing?". As for hauling boxes versus paxs...Are you frigging kidding???? That doesn't even need a reply.

Perhaps you should f#ck off Francis and find a new job. You couldn't be more jaded. I've seen well equipped DC-8s and pieces of cr#p. Excuse me for asking - gee, a thought this was a message board where people are free to ask questions... As for boxes vs. pax, I know plenty of pilots who have a preference. Have fun plumbing to the Dark Continent jacka$$...

haulingthemail said:
I have a very good attitude. What I don't like to see is these kids bashing the PFE's. example from an earlier post by tk855"I am just curious, if you have some much knowledge and experience why are you still sitting sideways plumbing the thing? Why haven't you moved into the right seat? I have heard about "some" of the engineers at ATI not being able to hack the right seat. Just curious, not looking to offend"

No worries here moron. I am flattered that you think I am some kid, I only wish I was still that young. I have a feeling I have been around the block in life a few more times than yourself! I am not discounting the FE position, just wondering why this guy has such a hard-on towards the new fo's. I also happen to know that ATI has a program that allows some of their fe's to earn their ratings if they desire and move into the right seat. I happened to notice this guy had his comm, multi, inst. So haulingthemail, it appears that after all that vast SF340 experience you finally get to fly your very first heavy? I bet you feel like a real man, right? I am sure glad you are an authority on the DC8 now that you must have what, 100 hours in it.

To add to the defense of PFE's, they are invaluable to operate with. I've never operated on a 3 person airplane with a Second Officer, but I know it sure is nice if you break down at an outstation, or simply need some routine maintenance or a service check that the guy who sits sideways can also keep that airplane flying. In some (most?) companies, they make more than the FO's, which is appropriate. The FE's also seem to have the best stories of the past and give perspective to newer punks like me. I also can't imagine being in a position which will slowly disappear in the next 10+ years as these aircraft are retired in favor of modern, more fuel efficient models. Give 'em a break!

Detroitpilot said:
To add to the defense of PFE's, they are invaluable to operate with. I've never operated on a 3 person airplane with a Second Officer, but I know it sure is nice if you break down at an outstation, or simply need some routine maintenance or a service check that the guy who sits sideways can also keep that airplane flying. In some (most?) companies, they make more than the FO's, which is appropriate. The FE's also seem to have the best stories of the past and give perspective to newer punks like me. I also can't imagine being in a position which will slowly disappear in the next 10+ years as these aircraft are retired in favor of modern, more fuel efficient models. Give 'em a break!

That's right. At my company, FE's certainly make more money than the FO's.

I've always said that if you could extend the flap and gear handle to reach the fe's station, you could do away with the fo completely!!;)

tk855 said:
No worries here moron. I am flattered that you think I am some kid, I only wish I was still that young. I have a feeling I have been around the block in life a few more times than yourself! I am not discounting the FE position, just wondering why this guy has such a hard-on towards the new fo's. I also happen to know that ATI has a program that allows some of their fe's to earn their ratings if they desire and move into the right seat. I happened to notice this guy had his comm, multi, inst. So haulingthemail, it appears that after all that vast SF340 experience you finally get to fly your very first heavy? I bet you feel like a real man, right? I am sure glad you are an authority on the DC8 now that you must have what, 100 hours in it.

You're killing me! :beer:

-- I've always said that if you could extend the flap and gear handle to reach the fe's station, you could do away with the fo completely!!

But then the F/O would not be there to protect the F/E in the event of a birdstrike.

81Horse said:
-- I've always said that if you could extend the flap and gear handle to reach the fe's station, you could do away with the fo completely!!

But then the F/O would not be there to protect the F/E in the event of a birdstrike.

Well, since most Capts carry their wallet in there right back pocket they always fly in a slight right turn to offset the illusion of being in a shallow left bank. So the chances of a bird strike on the FO's window is relatively small and a risk that most FE's Im sure are willing to live with.

:D

-- most Capts carry their wallet in there right back pocket they always fly in a slight right turn to offset the illusion of being in a shallow left bank.

Ah -- but not in the Southern Hemisphere.

on the 727, if you gang the 2 window heat switches together, you'll cut the fo's duties in half!

Latest resources

Back