ATC Shortage; why age restriction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

abexpilot

With the impending ATC shortage, why is there an age restriction for new controllers, especially when there are so many experienced pilots that would make great controllers, but cannot because of age restrictions?

I think the FAA wants maximum utilization of your services. There are plenty of candidates below the age cutoff to fill the void.

Although pilots have a nice advantage in knowing how the system works, not all pilots make good controllers.

The age restriction is driven by several factors...
1. age 31 in plus 25 year retirement=age 56 mandatory retirement. The government wants its time out you, which is fine.

2. Generally ATC skills decline with age. Experience gradually subs for raw talent. Most peak around 35-40 where talent decline curve and experience upward curve cross, but some folks stay sharp until their last day tho some folks barely hang on.

Kinda ridculous that I would be washed up at 40, but at least I could keep flying Part 91 till at least 65+

....OH WAIT!!! I cant find a job in that! Meanwhile theres not enough ATC controllers! UGH!

as most people posted above...

older people are worse controllers than younger folks, their skills and speed just can't compete.

it's not worth the FAA's money to pay for the extensive training for someone who might only have a short career (getting on after 31).

In my opinion, retirement should be mandatory at 45ish, as skills seem to decline SIGNIFICANTLY after that.

Although pilots have a nice advantage in knowing how the system works, not all pilots make good controllers.

exactly. from what I've seen, being a controller is a MUCH harder job than being a pilot. Being a pilot doesn't mean you can work as a controller. (Granted, not all controllers can be pilots, either) but comparing the skills, intensity, and difficulties in each job, and I'd say that controlling is much harder.

exactly. from what I've seen, being a controller is a MUCH harder job than being a pilot. Being a pilot doesn't mean you can work as a controller. (Granted, not all controllers can be pilots, either) but comparing the skills, intensity, and difficulties in each job, and I'd say that controlling is much harder.

I don't know, it seems about even to me - if the pilot screws up, the pilot dies.

If the controller screws up, the pilot dies!

Sorry, just couldn't resist that. :D

In my opinion, retirement should be mandatory at 45ish, as skills seem to decline SIGNIFICANTLY after that.
Good think that is your opinion. What experience do you base that opinion on?

It is total BS

I think that the age restriction should be lifted if you are already a certified airman (pilot,dispatcher) the FAA is losing out on a lot of good qualified people just because they want to stick to the age requirement. There are alot young kids out here that dont want to go to OKC and make 9.00 for the next 17 weeks with the chance of washing out and not having a job.

I was in the military not an aircraft dispatcher in the military but I was in. I really think they should raise the age to at least 35 if they want to tap ALL the resources they have or they will not get quality people

Latest resources

Back