• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC Shortage; why age restriction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Retired military controllers (in their late 30's, early 40's), have fought the over 31 rule for years. But to no avail. I don't forsee it changing.

There's at least a fair amount of private contract towers now. But the pay and upward mobility is not like a FAA career.

This thread is screwed up!

That is the stupidest thing I ever read on here. Have you done both?
By the way...There are easy controller job and easy pilot jobs, also hard pilot jobs and hard controller jobs.

:smash:

Sorry LJ, have to side with Bill on this one. I'm a retired ATC Supervisor now flying a CE550 for an air ambulance company. ATC'ing is definitely more challenging as far as I'm concerned. When you're flying, you're only responsible for yourself. But when you're working traffic, you have a ********************load of airplanes to worry about. I'm not downplaying the challenges of flying (weather, delays, re-routes, etc.), but my brain hurt much more after a long hard shift in the tower vs. a long day in the left seat. Have a great day!

The thing that ticked me off about the application process was that it was being handled by the Federal Government. The process took too long and I ended up aging out on April 17. Well, I guess I can take solice in the fact that I scored a 95.8 on the ATSAT test and I couldn't continue while my two friends who had scored in the mid-70s will continue because they don't have to worry about their age.

It's too bad I didn't know I was going to be laid off in August. If I had known that, I would have submitted my paper work sooner.

Latest resources

Back