• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC and Wx Below Mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I thought it was the SMO airport. It's been awhile. Is SuperMarine at SMO? It might have been the ATIS vis. report......anyways it was a funny moment!

SCT

Well, we tell you its below mins by the ATIS. Current WX reported below mins, we report it, as we are required. Certain criteria, I.E. WX goes from 1 mile to 1/4 or from 1/4 to 1 mile...Speci. So, we don't say hey EJA242, WX below mins, its just on the atis what the WX is. If you want to shoot an approach to my airport at we have vis M1/4, VV001 and RVR of 0600. Come on in, I don't read the RVR until your past the marker, thats for you 135 boys! Trying to get you in :)

Does ATC ever give a higher intercept altitude for an ILS than normal if weather is "iffy"...just to get you inside the "FAF" before weather goes down again? Say 4000 instead of 3000? How does that work?

-mini

mmmm....i work the tower, wish i worked the TRACON or the ARTCC but what would be the point of a higher alt??? If your IMC, the Wx at the field is IMC....ive flown many many approaches to mins...what would be the point of a higher altitude on a vector for the ILS, your gonna have to punch through the S... regardles. I would have to say no. In my exp....as an ex corp pilot, throw together a few years in the radar sim in college, and 2 years as a tower puke...bring you in as published, try the approach and if you don't get it at the DH....we will see you next time around!

Lrjtcaptain said:
what would be the point of a higher altitude on a vector for the ILS,

Because the FAF on an ILS is GS intercept...so once you intercept you're inside the FAF...and can continue the approach if weather pops below minimums (unless you're 91...then you can try it anyway).

...just curious if that applied to the ATC side of things as well.

-mini

Well, there is a gray area with what you just said, GS intercept is the FAF. That has been argued since the day I started my instrument. Whos says under part 91 you cant attempt the approach anyways, and well, 121 and 135 not too much knowledge there as I only flew part135 a short deal, and well....I don't want to get into the sketchy ordeal. The Key is RVR, because ive had less then 100ft on OVC, and less the 1/4 mile....RVR 2400.....lets do it. It should make no difference what alt you intercept the ILS at, the WX at the airport is going to make no diff....hence why I ask for a report at the OM......wait 5 seconds...oh by the way RWY32 RVR006......your gonna make an atempt anyways....I don't understand that 135 driver stuck in ahold for 45 mins, a CE550 makes it in with current wx...part91, a GV makes it in 91, a 135 kingair in the hold....vectored for the ILS, outside the marker, what is the RVR??? ....dont ask me that or you going back to PYE to hold for another 30 mins....ill read it to you when i feel the time is right, as it is my job and im required to when less the 6000ft or less then 1sm

FAF is GS intercept at the published altitude, or at a lower altitude if authorized by ATC... so intercepting it 25 miles out doesn't mean you are at the FAF.

Well, im not gonna argue a FAF for an ILS....that is not relavent in this case.....the comment was made, will a controller clear you at a higher alit.....what difference does it make what alt. your cleared for the ILS, the WX at the field is not gonna change.

I remember back in the good ol' days when CNO would look to the left and the vis would be a mile and a half...then look to the right and the vis would be a mile and half. They would then add the two together and call it three miles. :)

Latest resources

Back