ATA Scheduled Service Changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jim Smyth said:
Wow, is this what you think of your FO's? You must be fun to fly with!

"NOT"

Why don't you read the comment that inspired that statement, Jim, before you start jumping to conclusions.

Plus now, I get to watch your company screw over all those ATA dudes, and hear them whine about SWA instead of AirTran.

Now that is spoken like a true chump. I hope you enjoy Delta's assault on the ATL hub soon.

flyhard said:
Now that is spoken like a true chump. I hope you enjoy Delta's assault on the ATL hub soon.

Frankly, I'm surprised DAL hasn't done it sooner, like right after they changed their name. Consider yourselves pretty lucky.

flyhard,

Only half of FL's operation is dependent on the ATL hub. The only thing DAL will accomplish by "fortifying their hub" will be to dillute their own yield. This will happen because a higher percentage of their flying becomes connecting traffic. Conversely, as we branch out into new markets, minihubs, focus cities, whatever you might call them, we are increasing our O&D traffic and reducing our vulnerability in ATL.

The industry is littered with airlines that have downsized their non hub flying and fortified their master base. I don't see Delta's assault on ATL to be anything new.

Last edited:
HalinTexas said:
Frankly, I'm surprised DAL hasn't done it sooner, like right after they changed their name. Consider yourselves pretty lucky.

Delta has been trying for years. They launched service to every proprietary city we served from ATL, they dumped seats onto the routes at prices they can't sustain, and they try to sit on gates at ATL so that we can't have 'em.

In other words, they have tried every trick in the book . . . . and it hasn't worked. In fact, we have doubled in size, upgraded our fleet, paid down our debt, and stuck some money in the bank . . . . .

Since you're so smart, what do you think they should do now? Inquiring minds want to know what Hal in Texas has to say. We're all standing by.

PS, sorry about your Avatar. She said to let you know she went over to the dark side . . . . . :cool:

Last edited:
Delta hasn't tried very hard in my book, but that's their decision. Song was their decision, too, and you see how that's worked out.

It's probably too late to do much about it now, except don't lose any more market share, match fares, like AMR is doing to you in DFW. Advertise in the same markets, the same way Airtran does, but mention DAL international connections and provide better incentives to fly DAL vs. "TyWebbTran" at the same fares. There's lots of things they could have done, but they, like most legacy carriers, try to be all things to all people.

Since you've only been there 3 years, what do you know? Did you know that Valujet tried to buy American Trans Air about 8 years ago after the crash for about 27/share? Stan Pace was running the show, and subsquently asked to leave, golden parachute in tact. George could have walked away with a bunch of money.

Avitar edited: she can't see you now.

It's tribal knowledge that we had talked with ATA, AWA, Frontier and others over the years, but I never heard it spelled out quite like that.

If Alaska wants to buy us, I'll gladly sell 'em my shares and options . . .

Waddaya think, FLX757?

Heyas,

Personally, I believe that SWA will pull a DAL/PanAm like deal.

My reasoned argument... facts as I see them:

SWA wanted the gates at MDW (duh)
SWA hates bad press (not that they ever seem to get any)
SWA could care less about IND (except for service on SWA metal)
SWA has not been particularly nice to the previous outfits they bought
and finally, they wanted to deny FL a easy target.

I just don't see them code sharing long term, and all the nonsense that goes along with it...joint ticketing, bag interchange and trying to provide customer service on ANOTHER airline is always something they have avoided like the plauge in the past, and has been, in some measure, responsible for their success.

ATA is the anti-SWA. Multiple fleets, regional codeshare, trying to hub instead of focus.

Personally, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think that SWA will funnel just enough cash to keep ATA afloat for a few months. Just enough time for the bad press to be easily contained and allow them to consolidate what they want to pluck out. Let ATA retreat into IND to compete with plenty of competition. String it out far enough so that SWA has settled into their gates at MDW (what they REALLY wanted) and just pull the plug.

There will be some grumbling in IND. No one will care in MDW. Chances are it will miss the national news entirely. I'm sure they can spin it to make NWA look like the bad guy for invading IND, and SWA gets away clean.

Nu

Ty,

I'm so sick of watching all the vultures fight over the ATA carcas, you guys make me sick and I'm embarassed to even be in your same business. You may be at the bottom looking up some day, go ahead have fun kicking us now, we'll see who has the last laugh.

Plus now, I get to watch your company screw over all those ATA dudes, and hear them whine about SWA instead of AirTran.

I know a lot of excellent AirTran pilots but you are not one.

FU

You are a major Farking A-Hole.

Last edited:
What the fu*k?!?

You know, Ty, I have thought some people may have been tough on you some times. But, this is absolutely the most ignorant thing I have ever read! You have become such an ignorant, self-serving, and loathesome individual with this quote. God forbid you be in this position somewhere down the road! I hope you enjoy your left seat - pray that it lasts!

I can't believe that you want ATA folks to be screwed over - you represent AirTran with dignity, humility, and grace - NOT!

Latest resources

Back