ATA may sell off passenger ops..found on another site

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about ATA furloughed guys?

If history is a lesson, I don't expect them to be included. I hope that our union fights for them.

OK Hal , heres a good one for ya.
What about ATA furloughed guys?

D@mn good question.

If history is a lesson, I don't expect them to be included. I hope that our union fights for them.

Recent history in particular. We have over 300 pilots furloughed. The first were furloughed 3 years ago. I'm not sure how many really want to come back. They might have to take a paycut at this point. Many were furloughed TWA and USAir. I would submit that most have moved on to greener pastures.

I don't know where they would fit in a seniority list, but they should be recalled first with protected longevity at the least.

Hal, I didn't mean to jump on you. I heard from pax that the only good thing about ATA's product are the fares, but that they don't like the no-frills idea (paying for snacks, no meals, etc.) Just what I heard... hence the question. I know both us and HA serve free meals in coach.

We started doing a UAL codeshare on all of our flights, so our ETOPS flights all have UAL numbers also (used to be interisland only). I know we have an exclusive codeshare deal with UAL, so I don't know if we'd be able to accept the codeshare with SWA if we acquired ATA. They'd have to modify it, and I hear UAL is a pain in the ass to deal with.

I think combining ATA's trans-Pac fleet with ours would be a great match, though. If you have 12 -800's that would be included in the acquisition, you would see a nice fat pay raise, and phenomenal work rules coming to Aloha.

As for a merger... it would be interesting to say the least. We have captains hired in 2002, while you guys have people on the street hired at the same time.

Last edited:
Mgt. just passed on to us that we're losing money on our HI routes even with very high load factors.

I heard from pax that the only good thing about ATA's product are the fares, but that they don't like the no-frills idea (paying for snacks, no meals, etc.)

You get what you pay for!

I don't think AQ is going to be buying ATA's sched. serv. There might be some aircraft coming your way, but who knows. Our mgt. is doing just about everything they can to fly this thing into the ground.

12 year Aloha 737 Capt. guarantee = $160,844

ATA is about $115,200.

Seth,

You might have missed the fact that Aloha has an 80 hour guarantee, AND everybody gets a "base pay" which is $1054/pay period for a 12 year Captain. Thats another $27k a year with 26 pay periods.

I'll take the Aloha pay with no 401k match anyday.

Not to mention the fact that they aren't on the brink of absolute failure....and that, they are managed by something other than Klown College Circus rejects.

YKW

Last edited:
airlinepilotpay com is apparently in error, I don't have their info in our current comparison.

In light of our horrendous mgt., anyone that does get to go, if such a transaction took place, would be fortunate.

Seth, Seth... easy brother. I'll take my 7% B-plan, plus currently 4% (targeted contribution), but adjusting to 10% in 2010 C-plan any day over 6% 401(k) match. Basically, I'll end up with a 17% defined contribution plan without any 401(k) junk.

Here are some other highlights from our most recent contract:

- Extended Range Override in Nov 08 - FO pay override - $11.24/hour; $12.14/hour in Jan 09. I believe the captain override rate is double that - up to 35 hours.

- Night pay - if your departure airport hits 2AM and you're flying - night pay for the whole trip. FO $4.50 Capt. $5.62/hr. Think about redeyes.

- Holiday Pay - extra 2:45 mins of pay on top of your guarantee or an extra vacation day. Your choice.

- Per Diem in 2008: $3.38/hr (90% OCONUS for Oahu, going to 100% OCONUS Jan 1, 2009). Sim per diem: CONUS rate.

- Company has to pay for one 1st class medical per year. Reimbursement has to be paid in 5 days.

- Commuter policy - OAL: two flights and you can be excused - you can sit reserve on the mainland or rejoin your trip on the mainland to get paid. On AQ: any 2 flights, and if you don't make it for any reason, you get a trip off WITH PAY.

- Foregoing RON accommodations: $50/night - our trips are 2 nights which would mean $100 per trip if you don't use your hotel room. Works great for those who commute and overnight where they live when they're on the trip - comes up to roughly $500-600 extra.

- Our bid guarantee is 80 hours, but we only fly about 60-65 hard block hours per month.

- Reserve is 16 days PERIOD. You can do all 16 days in a stretch. For example, you can do 16 days straight of reserve, followed by 15 off, and then the next month, you can do 15 off and then 16 on. You end up with a month off without burning a single day of vacation or sick leave, and junior pilots can easily hold this schedule. That's 71 hour guarantee.

These are just some little tidbits...

Not so fast!!...

We get $50 for holiday Pay!

And, well, that's it.

Just hope that if a deal does go through, NONE of our mgmt goes with it. As Whine lover stated, a bunch of ASS KLOWNS.

RUINED a perfectly good airline with a great bunch of pilots.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back