ASTAR'S Race to the Bottom

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
entitlement

Oh, Oh, I know, the company that only has Airbus equipment, they will be the one getting the new 76's.........

I guess ABXA is entitled to these AC. Kind of arrogant.

I wonder why ABXA was not included.

I'm curious with regards to the decision to move to ILN.

Do ya'll think that the sort facility in CVG could have instantly handled the additional 3.8 million pounds of freight per night that Airborne was moving????? Uh huh...right.

BTW...side note....trivia question. How much is the ILN weight per night now???

Where might we park approximately 117 additional aircraft on the ramp at CVG??? Of course after all the customers were chased away, we no longer need that many airplanes now do we???

But that's OK....those are just minor details. At least CVG never goes Cat II. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, Oh, I know, the company that only has Airbus equipment, they will be the one getting the new 76's.........

I guess ABXA is entitled to these AC. Kind of arrogant.

I wonder why ABXA was not included.

I don't think anyone is saying ABX is entitled to those 767's, they are DHL aircraft bought and paid for. So DHL went to the airlines the own (or 49% owned when it comes to Astar and Polar). I think you may be reading too much into what was said.

Last edited:
No Shooter, you misunderstand, I lay the blame not at ABX's feet really, but at DHL's. With only a few exceptions, DHL management is the one who makes the final call on the big decisions, i.e moving to ILN, firing the DHL drivers infavor of contractors.

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. It just seems many are blaming ABX for decisions that were DHL's to make. I know the states of OH and KY were courting DHL very heavily during that time, but ABX is the whipping boy. Kind of gets old, you know?

Where might we park approximately 117 additional aircraft on the ramp at CVG??? Of course after all the customers were chased away, we no longer need that many airplanes now do we???

Construction here...construction there. Moot point now.

JJ, just had to get that dig in, huh? LOL

CVG was never really in the running. Ohio came up with a MUCH better package to lure DHL to ILN, and the noise issue would have been serious. Maybe th

Also, You have to remember that CVG is basically Delta's toy. It is surrounded by nicer homes (read: noise issues), had high landing fees (vs none when you own ILN), and you have to get permission from the airport board that lives in the nice homes if you want to do the construction in order to make possible for growth. (read: make it easier to wake them up in the middle of the night) Then factor in tax advantages offered from state and county government. DHL purchased the property and they made the call.

FWIW - let me state that I would not post something that I knew was not true, or did not have some merit of truth. Maybe some of you need to pull your heads out of your backsides and start asking more questions.

One more thing - I have noticed time and again that when someone is guilty of something they have a tendency to jump into "defensive" mode.

FWIW AVIATRIX, You would be the one who needs to start asking more questions prior to posting trash about another airline - trash addressed to "all pilots and union members" and posted on not one but three widely read message boards. And when YOU "get your head out of your backside" you will find that ASTAR pilots are indeed defensive when we are grossly slandered and are guilty of nothing you accused us of.

After a quick talk with a couple of Lufthansa pilots, it appears that at least 2 of the 767's are headed to AeroLogic. Lufthansa has no 767's and their charter division, Condor, will not be flying freight.

AeroLogic has 11 B777's on order and now, some new 76's...

The only race to the bottom here is DHL & Dasburg's credibility.

They haven'y posted anything about the 76's yet, but this is their link:

http://www.aerologic.aero/web/en/About_us/

Shooter

We've been here before and I really don't fancy having another go at that particular can or worms. Should have known better than to open it, but won't be fishing any further in that pond. Partially because it'll get us nowhere, partially because I'm getting slightly drunk and don't want to ruin my drinking mood.

DC8Driver

Well, we all know how flyboys like to run with half-baked rumours, so here's another one: Before AeroLogic take delivery of any aircraft LCAG will have sold their 50% share to DHL. Either that or have the DLH and LCAG pilots go on strike as they think the flying should belong to them.

I haven't heard anything about AeroLogic getting all or part of the 767s, and it doesn't seem logical to me. But then again, when's the last time anything the postmen did made any sense? My money's still on Polar, much as it hurts. Secondly I'd go for EAT (who operate 12 757s and does maintenance on all 32 aircraft in the DHK/EAT fleets) and thirdly ASTAR. I put Polar first because they'll probably have the sharpest pencils when it comes to putting the bid together, EAT/DHK second because we're already operating the 75 and thus can cross-qualify the crews and engineers and have a large number of guys with ETOPS experience, and ASTAR 3rd because, well, the other guys are 1st and 2nd ;)

As for AeroLogic, that's another disaster waiting to happen. When they started up DHL Air UK they hired a DFO from Britannia, who brought over a lot of his former collegues. Internally, DHL Air UK became known as Britannia Cargo and was operating like a charter company flying the bucket and spade brigade off to Majorca. No concept of night flying, no idea of freight and even less of express freight. It was freaking horrible. New CEO get's hired and immediately kicks out the CP and DFO. Now they're running smoothly.

Fast forward to AeroLogic and what do they do? Yes, hire a DFO from LTU (German charter company) and now internally AeroLogic is known as LTU Cargo. He's hiring loads of LTU pilots, whom I'm sure are nice guys and all that, but they're just repeating the same mistakes as they did with DHL Air. History, it would seem, have taught them nothing!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back