• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar - Point The Blame Where It Belongs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fob That is not quite the story. The vast majority of the peopel there were central Ohio part timers who were trained and then the hub closed and so did there jobs.
Yes some made it on to other FEDEX jobs, but it was still a major change and process in their lives. Plus all this effected the other former major operations like Chicago.
My point is that this is not that different than Purolator, Emery, CF, Kitty HAwk, Etc Etc Etc. Never easy, never smooth, and painful. Unfortunately these are businesses and nor just employers.

abxdx, Ok, anything I say is of course just opinion. I agree that if the deal goes through, we are done. If the deal is blocked, we are also done. Thats because the damage was done at the point of the announcement. Will our company seek other contracts to save us, don't know. We are public traded. (for now) If they tell us of anything they are working on that is not public knowledge and you go purchase a single share of stock, we will address you as Martha Stewart. I don't have a clue what may or may not be coming down the road. I just have faith that my maker and my family will be with me and I will deal with whatever I have to. Again though, anything that the Astar guys do as far as trying to block the deal is better than giving up. You never know what might just help.

I agree that no matter what happens, as long as I have my family healthy and happy that is what is important. I simply think that we should be looking for alternatives. Let's not wait for our politicians to say they are going to do something and then once elected do nothing( did you see where a campaign advisor of Mccains was also a DHL lobbyist). I am not saying sit back and give up but work it at both ends. And don't waste your time picketing a company that has done nothing but do right by thier investors..
You want to start a campaign... Announce to the world that there are 8000 hardworking people in Southern Ohio that are looking to provide for there families, and if treated right and given good benifits are willing to work there tail off for any large coorperation that is willing to come here. We have the infrastructure, we have the people, we have the hardworking attitude. Let that be your message...

abxdx, Ok, anything I say is of course just opinion. I agree that if the deal goes through, we are done. If the deal is blocked, we are also done. Thats because the damage was done at the point of the announcement. Will our company seek other contracts to save us, don't know. We are public traded. (for now) If they tell us of anything they are working on that is not public knowledge and you go purchase a single share of stock, we will address you as Martha Stewart. I don't have a clue what may or may not be coming down the road. I just have faith that my maker and my family will be with me and I will deal with whatever I have to. Again though, anything that the Astar guys do as far as trying to block the deal is better than giving up. You never know what might just help.

Last edited:
If we stop the UPS deal, then what? Clearly what DHL was doing previous was not working, so why would they go back to it. My feeling is that to block this deal will only buy Wilmington a year or two at the most if that.
Does anybody remember what the combined DHL/Airborne market share was 5 years ago? I thought DHL had about 6% and Airborne had about 14%.

What is it now? Single digits, I am sure.

There are a whole lot of factors that made this deal possible, one of which is that market share in the U.S. has dropped to levels that UPS or FedEx could reasonably absorb.

"Da $hit don't go back IN da donkey!"
-Tony Soprano

This thread shows beautifully what a s#%t job the flying business has become...sad as hell..just a dog's breakfast..

-S

This thread shows beautifully what a s#%t job the flying business has become...sad as hell..just a dog's breakfast..
That may be true when compared to the heyday of the 60's and 70's, but even as bad as things have become, it's still a pretty good gig.

As someone once said, "If you ever think the flying business is too tough, step aside. There are 10 guys waiting for your seat."

I think I will listen to that advice. Good Luck boys. My seat is vaporized so it isn't available but for 20 grand a year you can go to Mesa. Glad to soon be free! Peace.

P.S. BBB I miss your wonderful advice and your "you guys should have" and "don't blame UPS" crap. Better look in your own closet.

I'm out , good luck to all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back