• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinboxes

Pilots protest DHL cargo deal at UPS headquarters

By RACHEL TOBIN RAMOS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/24/08 About 50 pilots who fly for DHL showed up outside UPS' Sandy Springs headquarters this morning to protest a proposed air cargo deal between the two large shippers.
One pilot, John Nolan, drove seven hours from Blue Ridge, Va., with his wife, Carrie, and children, 7-year-old Cameron and 7-month-old Jack.
Outside UPS headquarters in Sandy Springs, pilots show their disapproval for a deal that would allow UPS to fly DHL cargo in North America.

"I'm worried about my daddy's job," Cameron said.
The pilots (and family) marched outside UPS' entrance, holding bright red placards that read: "UPS/DHL destroying 10,000 American jobs."
Overhead, a yellow biplane flew a banner blasting the deal, and on the street, a billboard truck explained further: "UPS: delivering pink slips."
The pilots, part of the Air Line Pilots Association union, are upset because the proposed deal will put them out of work. The pilots fly for ASTAR, which almost exclusively carriers cargo for DHL, the German post office owned carrier that in 2003 made an aggressive bid to compete with UPS and FedEx on their home turf by expanding its U.S. hub in Wilmington, Ohio. But five years later, DHL has cried uncle, saying its U.S. operations are losing money.
To stave off further losses, the company has proposed allowing one of its main competitors, UPS, to fly its cargo into and throughout North America.
For UPS, it would be a $1 billion annual contract. But for two DHL cargo contractors, ASTAR and ABX, about 1,150 pilots would lose their jobs, plus about 8,000 other Wilmington, Ohio, workers.
In Ohio, a congressional delegation has persuaded the White House to appoint a representative to monitor the deal. Karl Zinsmeister, director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, President Bush's chief domestic policy adviser, will keep on eye on the proposal, which could still be months away from completion.
The ALPA pilots have claimed the deal could violate antitrust laws. UPS spokesman Norman Black, who was also outside of UPS headquarters this morning watching the protest, said, "Every lawyer for the two companies that has examined this has concluded there are no antitrust implications."
UPS provided cold bottled water to the pilots, because, as Black said, he wasn't sure they'd be prepared for Georgia's hot summers. The day proved mild.
"That was very nice of them," said Capt. Pat Walsh, who represents the ASTAR pilots in ALPA. "I hope they'll also save our jobs by walking away from this deal."

=flyinboxes;1637473]....
UPS provided cold bottled water to the pilots, because, as Black said, he wasn't sure they'd be prepared for Georgia's hot summers. The day proved mild.

Are you freaking kidding me? Surely you guys did not let this Norman Black (The same guy that said UPS will not hire any out of work DHL pilots) patronize you all?

Last edited:
Are you freaking kidding me? Surely you guys did not let this Norman Black (The same guy that said UPS will not hire any out of work DHL pilots) patronize you all?
Oh, it starts with a bottle of water, but let me tell you, the next thing you know it will be back rubs and offers of hot chocolate and patting "Little Norman" on the head so he doesn't get scared in the dark. That's when we'll start to see who really, really wants to be a UPS pilot...

Funny Shooter. ;) Here's an article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Our MEC's sarcastic comment in red:

ajc.com > Business
Pilots protest DHL cargo deal at UPS headquarters

By RACHEL TOBIN RAMOS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/24/08 About 50 pilots who fly for DHL showed up outside UPS' Sandy Springs headquarters this morning to protest a proposed air cargo deal between the two large shippers.
One pilot, John Nolan, drove seven hours from Blue Ridge, Va., with his wife, Carrie, and children, 7-year-old Cameron and 7-month-old Jack.
"I'm worried about my daddy's job," Cameron said.
The pilots (and family) marched outside UPS' entrance, holding bright red placards that read: "UPS/DHL destroying 10,000 American jobs."
Overhead, a yellow biplane flew a banner blasting the deal, and on the street, a billboard truck explained further: "UPS: delivering pink slips."
The pilots, part of the Air Line Pilots Association union, are upset because the proposed deal will put them out of work. The pilots fly for ASTAR, which almost exclusively carriers cargo for DHL, the German post office owned carrier that in 2003 made an aggressive bid to compete with UPS and FedEx on their home turf by expanding its U.S. hub in Wilmington, Ohio. But five years later, DHL has cried uncle, saying its U.S. operations are losing money.
To stave off further losses, the company has proposed allowing one of its main competitors, UPS, to fly its cargo into and throughout North America.
For UPS, it would be a $1 billion annual contract. But for two DHL cargo contractors, ASTAR and ABX, about 1,150 pilots would lose their jobs, plus about 8,000 other Wilmington, Ohio, workers.
In Ohio, a congressional delegation has persuaded the White House to appoint a representative to monitor the deal. Karl Zinsmeister, director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, President Bush's chief domestic policy adviser, will keep on eye on the proposal, which could still be months away from completion.
The ALPA pilots have claimed the deal could violate antitrust laws. UPS spokesman Norman Black, who was also outside of UPS headquarters this morning watching the protest, said, "Every lawyer for the two companies that has examined this has concluded there are no antitrust implications."
"That was very nice of them," said Capt. Pat Walsh, who represents the ASTAR pilots in ALPA. "I hope they'll also save our jobs by walking away from this deal."

Vote for this story!

Last edited:
I had seen that, and he is right. You know me by now. My A-hole actions would have left the bottles on the ground untouched. Had someone go find a Georgia Mountain or Dasani truck and slapped a C note to the driver to come drop off a few cases of water. On the stack of water left behind would be a nice note. Something that read close to;

Dear Mr.Black
Thank you for your offer which shows Southern hospitality. Unfortunately at this time the only offer we can accept would be one that preserves the jobs of 10,000 Ohio workers and their families. blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc.
:D

Norm represents a company looking at $10 BILLION+ reasons to ink this deal. It's really no more complicated than that and certainly not personal.

While I, and every other pilot, can sympathize with the many lost jobs and the very serious consequences that represents for thousands of families I'm at a loss to understand why you're picketing UPS? Brown has a fiduciary responsibility to its hundreds of thousands of shareholders (~1.1 billion shares outstanding) to provide the greatest return possible on their invested dollar. Jobs lost at one of its competitors doesn't even register on UPS's list of business concerns, nor should it (from a UPS shareholder's perspective.)

Just imagine what the numerous pension fund managers and investment houses would say and do should UPS not capitalize on this revenue opportunity?

On another note... as others have mentioned... UPS takes it very seriously when you attack their brand or image in the slightest manner. I can quite confidently venture a guess that as a result of this public attack (and this is how it will be perceived in ATL) not a single former Astar or ABX pilot will ever be hired by Brown (regardless of whether they took part in this demonstration or not.) I'm not sure you realize the management culture at UPS.

Good luck to you fellas, but I think you received some bad advice attacking UPS in their home city.

BBB

Norm represents a company looking at $10 BILLION+ reasons to ink this deal. It's really no more complicated than that and certainly not personal.

While I, and every other pilot, can sympathize with the many lost jobs and the very serious consequences that represents for thousands of families I'm at a loss to understand why you're picketing UPS? Brown has a fiduciary responsibility to its hundreds of thousands of shareholders (~1.1 billion shares outstanding) to provide the greatest return possible on their invested dollar. Jobs lost at one of its competitors doesn't even register on UPS's list of business concerns, nor should it (from a UPS shareholder's perspective.)

Just imagine what the numerous pension fund managers and investment houses would say and do should UPS not capitalize on this revenue opportunity?

On another note... as others have mentioned... UPS takes it very seriously when you attack their brand or image in the slightest manner. I can quite confidently venture a guess that as a result of this public attack (and this is how it will be perceived in ATL) not a single former Astar or ABX pilot will ever be hired by Brown (regardless of whether they took part in this demonstration or not.) I'm not sure you realize the management culture at UPS.

Good luck to you fellas, but I think you received some bad advice attacking UPS in their home city.

BBB

If that really is how your management would handle a situation such as this, you guys must just LOVE going to work each day. :rolleyes: What time did they assign you to use the restroom? :laugh:

BBB, I hear what you're saying, but I don't understand why many of you seem to think we'd start over at UPS. We really, truly don't care. But thanks for your concern, but again, we don't care if UPS black balls us or what. Not enough available jobs there to matter.

If that really is how your management would handle a situation such as this, you guys must just LOVE going to work each day.

Writing a letter to the CEO or board of directors explaining your concern is one thing, but picketing a competing company's HQ is quite another. In public and in front of the media, you are attacking UPS for destroying thousands of jobs and tarnishing their brand/image. UPS employs about 440,000 worldwide. Every worker in the US, whether part-time or full, receives full medical care. The drivers, pilots, mechanics, and dispatchers are among the highest paid in the nation within their fields of expertise. UPS is a good corporate citizen with a large charitable arm. Your attack upon UPS is misdirected.

Most in management have worked their way up the ranks through decades of dedicated service and intermittent hardship. They are passionate about Brown's success. They bleed Brown. This is NOT a company led by a string of highly compensated outside CEO's. Thousands have poured their lives into this organization and many will take this attack personally. This is the Brown corporate culture.

As for working for Brown... I have my gripes from time to time... but in general, show up, fly your trip safely and you won't hear a peep from them till your annual recurrent date rolls around. I'm a simple man Shooter, so it's a good fit for me.

BBB

PS Hvy... I understand YOU have chosen to not seek employment with UPS in the future. The problem is that this little stunt will most likely prevent ALL of you from ever receiving employment from Brown. The aviation world is relatively small and you just eliminated one of the better fish, IMO. YMMV.

BBB, since UPS has stated that they have no intention of hiring any AAC/ABX pilots, I really don't think there is any hope for any of our guys there. I further think that our guys realize that. Like I've said before, there is no need to get excited about a handful of job offers, when 1100 pilots are getting their pink slips.

Latest resources

Back