• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asiana 777 crashed on landing at SFO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whenever there is an accident such as this all the airline training programs, training centers (and one "Academy") in the country will incorporate lessons learned into the next round of recurrent training.

To all of you headed to training in the next few years get ready for your sim instructor to say: "Ok, San Francisco ILS 28L inop, PAPI is notamed out. Autopilot and autothrottles inop. Cleared for visual, cleared to land!

Have fun!

CRM, or the lack of, is a major, major issue with the Korean pilots. How could four pilots just watch the airspeed deteriorate and not say or do anything?

Because we all know that western pilots don't crash airplanes!

Dumb Pilot,

your (ironic) comment actually goes pretty deep. I hold both an FAA and JAR/EASA ATP and the differences between flying here in the US and in Europe couldn't be greater. When I worked contract over in the UK, I was exposed to the typical British "we're better than the Yanks" bashing but was horrified about basic piloting skills. Without going too much into detail, it was much easier to fail your checkride, line check etc. by NOT using the proper radio telephony procedures than showing mediocre flying skills. Some high time F/Os I was flying with got quite nervous when I asked them to handfly on a clear day. On my last check I had a somewhat heated discussion with one of the training captains, and he pointed out that the accident rate is not any higher in Europe and that it would be lower in the US if pilots would be more "procedural" and wouldn't "cowboy" the airplane around.

Food for thought. Accidents do not necessarily reflect a certain safety (or lack of) culture. But his comment got me thinking.

To all of you headed to training in the next few years get ready for your sim instructor to say: "Ok, San Francisco ILS 28L inop, PAPI is notamed out. Autopilot and autothrottles inop. Cleared for visual, cleared to land!

Have fun!

That kind of approach used to be a standard simulator training maneuver. In the DC-9, one of them was a long straight-in approach with no flaps or slats. (Not on the check ride, but just to show that you could do it if you had to.) It was fun! :)

Whenever there is an accident such as this all the airline training programs, training centers (and one "Academy") in the country will incorporate lessons learned into the next round of recurrent training.

Have fun!

Piece of cake!

Yah, for most of us who have a little pride in basic "seat of the pants" manual flying airmanship. When I was flying both left and right seat in the 767 I enjoyed the automated stuff, but I also loved clicking off everything and hand flying it to landing also!

The problem many of these carriers will now have to confront is the abandonment of the basics of flying skills and the dependance on the automation of these new birds.

sounds a lot like the Air France 447 mishap! Crews so reliant on automation, they forgot basic skills. In both cases a perfectly good airplane was destroyed and lives lost!!

Not roller, runner. Another runner in the night.

For number 2, here are seven plane crash songs: http://listsof.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/7-songs-for-plane-crashes/

I'm disappointed that 'American Pie' didn't make the list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died

D'OH!

You're right. I just looked again at the Google result of Manfred Mann and indeed, runner and not roller. But I knew that. I was just quizzing you....:beer:

Now, if somebody can explain "Muskrat Love"......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back