Asiana 777 crashed on landing at SFO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where else to come to for otherwise meaningless speculation than FI:

How would the Asiana accident be different, and would it have been more or less severe, if instead of hitting the seawall at SFO they had been landing at a more typical airport with a large, flat expanse of land surrounding the runway, covered with the usual mix of pavement and grass?

They touch down on the mains, short of the runway and off-center, maybe a tail strike due to the high pitch angle, perhaps a bounce followed by collapsed nose gear.....

Pure speculation, as I said, but which scenario has the makings of a worse outcome?

Look for big changes on how IOE is done.
if its done properly its not a problem at all...?? ?

Due to inattention perhaps from fatigue and training deficiencies in one crew at one airline on one flight, we now have a completely new rest reg and vastly higher entry level requirements for this job. Both are major generational changes in regulations. Not that that's a bad thing, but the FAA doesn't act, it reacts to accidents. I think there will be some major changes in how we get from the right to the left seat.

Last edited:
Due to inattention perhaps from fatigue and training deficiencies in one crew at one airline on one flight, we now have a completely new rest reg and vastly higher entry level requirements for this job. Both are major generational changes in regulations. Not that that's a bad thing, but the FAA doesn't act, it reacts to accidents. I think there will be some major changes in how we get from the right to the left seat.

Or maybe the changes won't be for US crews. I'm familiar with shotgun style reactions. But if this crew had crashed like this flying into a non-us airport, would anyone in the US care from a regulatory standpoint? Why change regulations in the US because the ones in Korea aren't very good?

Egads! Talk about changes
We just got an AC from the Feds. Basically says after 7-31-14, you can only get an ATP for 121 ops at a 121 air carrier, and that you must have 30 hours of FAA approved ground school at a 121 air carrier and 10 hours of flight time in a level "C" or "D" sim with a GTOW greater than 40,000#'s in order to have permission to take the ATP written. It is a new AC and this is an initial reaction to what I read today
AC 61-138 - Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program

Where else to come to for otherwise meaningless speculation than FI:

How would the Asiana accident be different, and would it have been more or less severe, if instead of hitting the seawall at SFO they had been landing at a more typical airport with a large, flat expanse of land surrounding the runway, covered with the usual mix of pavement and grass?

They touch down on the mains, short of the runway and off-center, maybe a tail strike due to the high pitch angle, perhaps a bounce followed by collapsed nose gear.....

Pure speculation, as I said, but which scenario has the makings of a worse outcome?
or just as likely, they hit that wall twenty feet lower and kill everyone. Woulda coulda shoulda all day long, but if this guys first thought is I had a light in my eye, ******************** him.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back