• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to recall furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If im not mistaken it isn't schedulings fault, that would be crew planning (the ones who build the lines).

Very true. However, our planning dept knows that our schedulers can't make it work unless we have 40% reserve coverage.

It is ASTOUNDING to me still how inefficient they are.

What else are you going to do with 120 reserves for 308 lines? There are very few sick calls in the overall scheme of things. All those guys would block next to nothing if not assigned trips. Now, If you want to make 50+ more lines and only have a handful of reserves every day, then I'm with you.

120 reserves?! Is this for capt or FO Atl lines?

the official press release just came out:

June 1, 2010, 4:36 p.m. EDT · Recommend · Post:
Atlantic Southeast Airlines Recalls Furloughed Pilots to Support Expanding CRJ700 Fleet

PR-Logo-Marketwire.gif

ATLANTA, GA, Jun 01, 2010 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- Atlantic Southeast Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of SkyWest, Inc. /quotes/comstock/15*!skyw/quotes/nls/skyw (SKYW 13.68, -0.99, -6.72%) , is recalling 42 pilots in June as it adds four CRJ700 aircraft to its fleet. The additional aircraft will be integrated into Atlantic Southeast's Delta Connection program.
According to Brad Holt, president and COO, "Expanding our fleet and recalling pilots now is a testament to Atlantic Southeast people's hard work and dedication to positioning our airline well as a strong business partner."
Atlantic Southeast furloughed 136 pilots in 2009 due to the unprecedented economic downturn that impacted domestic capacity.
Holt continued, "This recall is a step in the right direction, and Atlantic Southeast will continue working to find more opportunities for growth so that we can get all of our furloughed pilots back flying with us as soon as possible."
About Atlantic Southeast Airlines: Atlantic Southeast Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of SkyWest, Inc., operates more than 800 daily flights using its all-jet fleet to 113 airports in 31 U.S. states, District of Columbia, Bahamas, Canada and Jamaica. Under the SkyWest, Inc. umbrella, Atlantic Southeast Airlines and SkyWest Airlines form the world's largest regional airline alliance. Founded in 1979, Atlantic Southeast operated solely as a Delta Connection carrier since 1984, until adding United Express operations in 2010. The airline operates a fleet of 160 aircraft and employs more than 3,500 aviation professionals across its route system. For more information, visit www.flyasa.com.

I'm glad SkyWest.Inc is doing the right thing in giving ASA these A/C for growth opportunities. A handful of people assumed they would place these on the SkyWest side and leave the ASA pilots on the street and the whipsawing would get out of control.

Last edited:
What else are you going to do with 120 reserves for 308 lines? There are very few sick calls in the overall scheme of things. All those guys would block next to nothing if not assigned trips. Now, If you want to make 50+ more lines and only have a handful of reserves every day, then I'm with you.

That's what I'm saying. They should build more lines to cover the open time. Instead, they lump a ton of 4-days into the open time system. Nobody can pick up 4-days. The reserves wind up with those. To make matters worse, they red arrow the hell out of the month so that your schedule is the same at the end of the month as when the lines were built. I'm ready for PBS. Put another point on the scoreboard for management. They win.

Technically we weren't running short at all. Management spread the lines out to save money. But they spread it to the point there weren't enough reserves. Shouldn't be a problem next month with the rise of the line values.
Shouldn't be but, still is.... a red arrow on nearly every day of the month for 50 seat CA.... awesome..nothing but 4 days and still no way to move anything around because of red arrows...cough, cough....I'm not feeling too well...

Latest resources

Back