• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to stick up for ACL65 here. I too have scratched my head a few times at some of the things he has said, but he has clarified where he stands and has my stamp of approval (which is worth about as much as a Christmas card in July).

I find it interesting how things have changed so quickly in the regional world. It wasn't too long ago that Mesaba was worried about massive furloughs and yet they are now poised for a lot of growth.

I guess the only positive I can find is that getting furloughed from ASA doesn't make it too hard to find a job that pays the same or more. However, I don't think it will happen.

Hey we can all be greeters at Wal-Mart!

Yes, plans are changing, but not to the point of mainline reductions in staffing(pilot). I too scratch my head at this. Fact is that DAL has waited too long to furlough. They should have started in Sept. Now with the summer 09 ramp up a few months away, they are going to have a very hard time displacing and furloughing get people where they need to be. Kind of caught on that one. It is not to say that they could not let a few 100 go, but the cost would be quite great.
From what I have been told it takes two years on furlough to break even. With the jets coming, it is easier for them to carry the pilot cost in the short term.

- the saab is not popular at delta, at all. the atr made more money than a saab can spend in a week, and delta sent them back when the leases expired. the saabs will be used cause they are there. delta has looked at new tps for years, and always looked away. fuels back down and the 200 has new life, for now. delta also knows that a lot of asa markets doubled their pax when the 200 showed up, the saab would kill the demand. hhh will not be saab friendly, and i have strong beliefs it will not last past the end of next summer after people decide its not worth it.

asa has a strong future, as long as performance stays strong and the pilots keep operating as efficiently as they can.[/QUOTE]

It all starts with delta but delta has a new boss in town than before. I have done hilton head and dont know what is not saab friendly. And yes asa has a very strong feature, but will have its struggles with being the highest paid carrier(good for then and way to set the bar high). The thing is there will always be more than one player. Probably not eight or whatever there is now, but atleast four or five.

It all starts with delta but delta has a new boss in town than before. I have done hilton head and dont know what is not saab friendly. And yes asa has a very strong feature, but will have its struggles with being the highest paid carrier(good for then and way to set the bar high). The thing is there will always be more than one player. Probably not eight or whatever there is now, but atleast four or five.

I guess the trick is to see if we can continue to be the highest paid and experienced pilot group (i.e. don't take concessions when negotiations roll around again shortly), yet still run a leaner operation than our counterparts by working well with the tools provided by the company: Cost Index, Crew meals, D-0 program, and anything else that BH might be able to bring to the table.

The company may have to enforce the Cost Index program fiercely to see any meaningful benefits from it.

I get the feeling with all the talk about PBS, including coming from our MEC, we'll probably see that on property soon enough.

Back to the original post: IMHO, ASA will furlough if no growth opportunities occur within the next 6 months (including Mesa or any other DCI carrier being axed), and/or PBS is implemented without provisions for efficiency (read: no need for so many pilots). Peace out.

I guess the trick is to see if we can continue to be the highest paid and experienced pilot group (i.e. don't take concessions when negotiations roll around again shortly), yet still run a leaner operation than our counterparts by working well with the tools provided by the company: Cost Index, Crew meals, D-0 program, and anything else that BH might be able to bring to the table.

The company may have to enforce the Cost Index program fiercely to see any meaningful benefits from it.

I get the feeling with all the talk about PBS, including coming from our MEC, we'll probably see that on property soon enough.

Are you sure about that?
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/republic.html

As for not liking RJ's. You are right. I want all of them and all of you on the DAL list. I do not like being pawned against each other. Now get over yourself.[/quote]

For the simple mathematical numerical majority of ASA (possibly all regional) pilots, this would be a very good thing. This would certainly be a good thing for the guys/gals already at Delta.

Why is there so much rancor, distrust, and hatred toward the RJ drivers on the Majors' board?

FWIW, I don't get the association with GL. Most of what I've seen ACL65 post has been respectful and thoughtful.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back