• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From Brad Holts mouth on Thanksgiving day in the crew lounge. He stated that we are okay in Jan., Feb is when the fourloughs would happen if they happen at all. He did say that any fourlough would be short term, but they hope to avoid them all together if they can due to the overall effect on morale and hurting the pilots fourloughed.

So what else did Brad cover or answer during his visit?
And "hats off" to him for showing up on Thanksgiving Day!! Yet another example of his commitment to ASA

Last edited:
look for half pay lines for those that want the month off, and lots of COMA's..... can't see a furlough for just a few months. Would cost them more than it would save. Also, March has my money for when Mesa goes TU. Keeping everyone around til then at least, in case of opportunities. They certainly aren't keeping 200 extra pilots around out of the goodness of their hearts.

Or are they?

PS......Mesa isn't going anywhere, and what makes anybody think that if they do, ASA will see one iota of that flying????? Me thinks ALL the vultures will pounce and ExpressJet, Air Wisc, Trans States, Pinnacle and Skywest will all beat ASA to any of that flying! Remember, ASA is STILL one of the highest cost carriers out there, so why would any new flying come to ASA when EVERYONE can and will undercut us?????

Last edited:
Or are they?

PS......Mesa isn't going anywhere, and what makes anybody think that if they do, ASA will see one iota of that flying????? Me thinks ALL the vultures will pounce and ExpressJet, Air Wisc, Trans States, Pinnacle and Skywest will all beat ASA to any of that flying! Remember, ASA is STILL one of the highest cost carriers out there, so why would any new flying come to ASA when EVERYONE can and will undercut us?????

Or you can quit your b*tching and fly the CI profiles, get to work on time, wait for PBS to come on property (because all indications point to it coming soon), implore your captains to taxi single engine and kill the APU, and RIF everything that causes a delay so management knows where to fix things. Then, all you can do is leave the rest to BH. He's done a decent job so far and I can only hope he can negotiate something with Delta with what we can bring to the table from the line.

Last edited:
Um............excuse me? Where was I bitching??? I simply said don't think it is a lock for ASA to get Mesa flying, as everyone seems to be pinning their hopes for the future on. There will be many others looking to pounce on that flying, if it were to ever come up. Not the least of which is our big brothers Skywest, who I'm nearly certain would want to jump on that flying.

As far as your advice, thanks a ton. However, I am a Captain, and I ASSURE you I already embrace every and all cost saving measures including the ones you so eloquently mentioned. So, you can sleep tight tonight.

Um............excuse me? Where was I bitching??? I simply said don't think it is a lock for ASA to get Mesa flying, as everyone seems to be pinning their hopes for the future on. There will be many others looking to pounce on that flying, if it were to ever come up. Not the least of which is our big brothers Skywest, who I'm nearly certain would want to jump on that flying.

As far as your advice, thanks a ton. However, I am a Captain, and I ASSURE you I already embrace every and all cost saving measures including the ones you so eloquently mentioned. So, you can sleep tight tonight.

I consider relentless doom and gloom a form of bitching that does nothing but kill what is already low morale. It's one thing to be realistic. It's completely another thing to accentuate and hyperbolize every possible negative outcome without offering a solution or any ideas.

But good to know you're following the cost cutting measures. A lot of Captains still do not, and the FOs can't do much about it except ask why.

Brad also mentioned that as long as our performance stays where it is Delta will not have a pot to piss in if they tried to cancel our contract. Not quite his words verbatim, but you get the idea. Also we own the leases on most of the gates on C, and some on D, so he said that was our ace in the hole.

Brad also mentioned that as long as our performance stays where it is Delta will not have a pot to piss in if they tried to cancel our contract. Not quite his words verbatim, but you get the idea. Also we own the leases on most of the gates on C, and some on D, so he said that was our ace in the hole.

I think that DAL would disagree on who owns the gates. Now SKW has right of first refusal, but there are some mean restrictions to it. Call over to DAL's real estates department. I have, and seen how it is structured.

I consider relentless doom and gloom a form of bitching that does nothing but kill what is already low morale. It's one thing to be realistic. It's completely another thing to accentuate and hyperbolize every possible negative outcome without offering a solution or any ideas.

But good to know you're following the cost cutting measures. A lot of Captains still do not, and the FOs can't do much about it except ask why.

Get used to it. Doom and gloom is what 79% does best. I've been put in bad moods many times from his relentlessly miserable posts. If you had believed everything he forecast, ASA should have been done with years ago.

On the same note I do agree with him a little bit on this one. There are plenty of players waiting for Mesa to take a dump, many of which are cheaper than us. Even if Mesa does go away (which I have my doubts) we may not be affected by that at all. But personally I'm cautiously optimistic.:cool:

Yet you all support a union that enabled this portfolio whipsaw.....If you don't like it...hold your union accountable......

We are competing with fellow ALPA members for work....and cost is one the benchmarks used in the competition.....Either demand that your union stop the competition....or compete with everyone.....Those are the two choices....

Latest resources

Back