• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA taking over Freedom flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As has been noted on here, fuel is a pass thru cost for ASA. Therefore it doesn't affect our profit/profit margin or you bonus check. I almost never S/E taxi or shut-down the APU. Now if SH gets the boot later this year and we get rid of these crappy 4-day trips, then we can talk.

Yet another pilot who can't see the forest through the trees... just because it's not a direct connection to your wallet currently doesn't mean it won't be in the future. Delta is already cutting back service already. Are you not saving for your retirement now because it takes money out of your current paycheck? That's pretty much the logic you are using. Oh but you're probably too senior for any cuts to affect you personally.

As has been noted on here, fuel is a pass thru cost for ASA. Therefore it doesn't affect our profit/profit margin or you bonus check. I almost never S/E taxi or shut-down the APU. Now if SH gets the boot later this year and we get rid of these crappy 4-day trips, then we can talk.

You really should re-think your logic there.

This battle with the company is over for now and you need to get on board if you want ASA to be different than the past. Now is the best time and chance ASA has ever had to turn the ship around, and fools like you need to change or move on to somewhere else.

Medeco

I'm not sure ASA is the same a Skywest, but for us Delta or United pay for an agreed upon amount of fuel for a given segment. If we burn more, we eat it. If we burn less we keep the difference. A big chunck of our profit comes from our fuel savings so you will see it in your bonus check. If you can save 50 lbs. per flight times 1,000 or so flights a day thats 50,000 lbs. or about 7,500 gallons a day. $3/gal. = $22,500 per day = $2,737,500 per year. Incrementally it seams small, but it adds up. As mentioned above running the apu is about 120lbs./hr. For each 1,000 ft. higher you cruise you save abot 100lbs./hr. If you are early fly .70 instead of .77 and save more ( do you guys get block or better? Do you want your long break in Atlanta to be 15 minutes longer? ). Flight idle decent vs. 320 KIAS. All that adds up. Fly smart, make more money and it will also help your company remain profitable, win new flying. That also = job security.

Cheers.

Why hasn't anyone talked about climbing at 250 to altitude at the outstations????? This saves a lot of fuel.

The way I see it, the APU burns 120 lbs/hr. Jet fuel weighs 6 lbs/gallon. 1 gallon = a bit over $3/gallon. Therefore the APU is burning about $1 per minute or about $60/hr. I know that's a lot more than most of us get paid. Each CRJ engine burns what, about 300-350 pph at idle? So with both running in addition to the APU, you're burning $7/minute. That's $420/hr.

The APU actually costs WAY more than that, particularly if your company leases them (power by the hour) as many do. With the per minute lease rates and the cost of fuel and MX due to wear and tear plus MX delays for excessive use, APU usage on an RJ actually costs about 3 to 4 times what you posted.

The APU actually costs WAY more than that, particularly if your company leases them (power by the hour) as many do. With the per minute lease rates and the cost of fuel and MX due to wear and tear plus MX delays for excessive use, APU usage on an RJ actually costs about 3 to 4 times what you posted.

Exactly, I was talking strictly fuel costs. I'm pretty sure ASA eats most if not all MTC costs so this will come out of the bonus check too. A little bit of ignorance goes a long way unfortunately!

want me to save money do ya!!!???

Then how bout havin freakin ground support available ready and hooked up every freakin time!!!

How about 90% of the time when we pull up to the outstation, no apu running, and have to sit there running the #2 engine for 5-7 minutes while they go round up the GPU. Wouldn't it be cost effecient to start the apu, shut down the engine, then shut down the apu when power gets hooked up.

Maybe not, I really don't know

People like you make me sick. Have you no social conscious? Maybe don't s/e taxi for Scott Hall or ASA. Don't turn it off for Delta or the airline industry. Turn it off bc it doesn't make one bit of difference to you but it does to the environment and the world we are leaving our children. If every pilot would s/e taxi it WOULD, without a doubt make a difference.
I bet you're the type of person that would kick a puppy bc YOU wouldn't feel it.

Why hasn't anyone talked about climbing at 250 to altitude at the outstations????? This saves a lot of fuel.

Talk about it all you want, its not standard profile. I think that could be a good idea, but not always practicle in a lot of places.

Medeco

Latest resources

Back